New suspension settings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the adjustments last week, backing off a click since I only weigh 160. The rear was too "jittery" so I switched the preload to soft. Big difference! My wife says I'm back to where I was on my FZ1. She rides an FZ1 and had been leaving me in the dust.
Exactly! Now you are getting the point of the suspension setup. Save the HARD setting for when you are two-up and/or fully loaded and need the extra ground clearance. The SOFT setting works for many people/situations when combined with proper dampening.

Again, let me stress, this is true IMHO for Gen-II bikes, my experience suggests that most Gen-I owners might as well buy new suspension parts and start from there.

Just want to pass on my thanks for the great info and also a bit of "I'm a dumbass for assuming" info.

I bought my '07 with 1700 miles on it about a month ago. Previous owner had a nice work area set up in his garage, claimed he did most of his own maintenance on both his bikes and two cars, so I ASSUMED that he would have had her dialed in pretty well. Hmmm.

I currently live in an apartment and the bike is in the parking garage, where the management discourages any maintenance of vehicles. Based on the discussions in this thread, I decided to grab my cheesy little tool kit and sneak downstairs after hours to mess about with the suspension settings among other minor tweaks. I found that preloads were set to 1 (or less if that's possible), damping knobs were set to 1 on the left and 10 on the right.

Seems like I have gotten over my difficulty with left hand turns. Only more time will tell though. Thought I had some sort of a mental block.

Lesson learned. Never assume.

I'm right behind ya Mc, I haven't done anything to my set up yet, with the great posting here I'm sure I can do it, but I'm kinda retarded when it comes to this, I'll probably end up doing it backward or something.....lol

Uncaged

Here's a link to the 2007 Owner's Manual online. Suspension settings are Pages 39-41.

THIS IS A VERY GOOD PLACE TO START FOR ANYONE CONSIDERING CHANGES TO THEIR SUSPENSION.

2007 FJR1300 Owner's Manual

Last edited by a moderator:
I finely got a day off, so I did it. I followed Haulin's instructions to the "T" and it works great. I was pleasantly surprised how much of a difference it makes.

it feel's like a different bike, or a new suspension. I was always nervous about making changes. it actually was pretty easy with Haulin's step by step. I know the owners manual tells you how, it's just nicer to have someone to give you confidence.

Thanks for my new suspension.........I took it out for a about an hour today, testing it on some common ground, I would of stayed out longer but it's 110f out today. I ran out of water...lol

I finely got a day off, so I did it. I followed Haulin's instructions to the "T" and it works great. I was pleasantly surprised how much of a difference it makes.it feel's like a different bike, or a new suspension. I was always nervous about making changes. it actually was pretty easy with Haulin's step by step. I know the owners manual tells you how, it's just nicer to have someone to give you confidence.

Thanks for my new suspension.........I took it out for a about an hour today, testing it on some common ground, I would of stayed out longer but it's 110f out today. I ran out of water...lol
I do LOVE a happy ending!

Now that you will be riding the wheels off that FJR, don't forget to change the fork fluid at least once per year, or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first. Otherwise that nice suspension will gradually fade away.

Oh great! I learn one thing and you want me to learn something else. Ok I'm up for it, how do you do that project.....smile

On my list is the changing of the final drive fluid, according to the book it looks pretty simple, just drain and fill right?

Now back to the oil in the forks? :)

i set it VERY similar to you settings, and will see how it goes this weekend. didn't do the rear as hard, and -1 click on the front, still on bar 2 on spring though.

Sometimes, I need everything spelled out for me...

When you say "out" you mean first go to "full stiff" (turn clockwise to stop), and then "back out" X number of clicks (counterclockwise), correct?

And, adjust the rear from the right side of the bike - the start switch side?

This is my first Sport Tourer, having come off a Yamaha VStar 1100 Cruiser, so I'm a noob at everything.

Thanks, Jeff, et all, for the advice...

When you say "out" you mean first go to "full stiff" (turn clockwise to stop), and then "back out" X number of clicks (counterclockwise), correct?
Correct

And, adjust the rear from the right side of the bike - the start switch side?
No. Put the bike on the center stand and adjust from the left side.

Rear: counter-clockwise to stop, clockwise 6 clicks or all the way to the right, and then back to the left 6 clicks...

Can't wait to ride to work tomorrow...thanks!

Edit: rode to work this AM... This little ten-minute tweaking made a great bike GREATER!!!

Thanks to everyone.

If anyone is considering changing their suspension settings for a bit more of an aggressive (stiffer) ride// setting. Then consider using Haulin's settings in this post.

I'm suspension stupid and I found it very easy to follow his instructions. in fact it was so easy, if you were so inclined you could change the setting back in just a few minuets.

anyway, I'm writing this in case their is anyone else that isn't quite sure about making the changes, let me assure it's easy and the results are amazing.

Thanks again Haulin

Uncaged

I did a trip to Florida for the 4th of July 4 day weekend. I did the suspension adjustments with 700 miles on the clock. But I went +1 out (softer) from Ashe's recommendations on all the settings as my suspension was not broken in yet. I weigh 260 gearless and had about 100lbs in gear and luggage on board. I left the rear preload at soft. I was dreading the 400 miles each way on the stocker seat and not having done more than 100 miles in a day in over 2 years. I was pleasantly suprised with the way the bike handled and "felt" for the trip both ways. It was much more comfortable and my confidence level improved a bunch on everything that was not straight. I can see myself going with the recommended setting as soon as I have my suspenders fully broken in.

NO-ONE should be afraid to make these adjustments. It is just TOO EASY and makes a world of difference. No special tools are needed, they are all in the cheapie factory tool kit.

Bike loaded up and my arrival at parents house in FL....My brother is jealous!!!!!

JoshKateWedding015.jpg

I thought about asking about 2-up with 325 settings but then realized that at my age I couldn't be bothered playing around! I have ridden every style bike there is over my 25 years riding & I had high hopes for the 05 FJR I recently bought (12K). The vibes are numbing both of my hands within minutes & I'm really hoping playing around with the susp is going to resolve or at least lessen this issue!

Any recommended settings for one-up 300lb settings guys?

Several posts back (#67) I mentioned that it would be nice if "HaulinAshe" would post a report (w/pictures) similar to the BJM write up. After completing these suspension adjustments I realize that it really isn't necessary. This was very quick and easy to do.

Because I'm so new to riding the FJR I was very apprehensive about adjusting the suspension in fear that I might do it incorrectly and end up on the ground. Although the adjustments were very easy to accomplish they made a huge difference. I'm not sure how to describe it but the bike feels much smaller and maneuverable.

With the stock settings, although I didn't really know it, it took a lot more pressure to first roll into the turn and then keep it there. With these new settings the FJR feels like it shed a couple of hundred pounds and once you lean it into the corner it stays there.

The only downside, for me anyway, is that its considerably rougher on the freeway. I'm probably going to keep it this way for a couple of weeks then start experimenting. I really like how well the bike handles with these new settings but liked how it rode on the freeway better with the stock settings.

What would you recommend as a compromise?

The cool thing about this adjustment is that is that you get to relive the excitement when you rode your FJR for the first time, its like a different bike.

Thanks HaulinAshe and everyone else for their encouragement.

I also wanted to add that there is less handle bar vibration which is an added bonus.

All it takes is two minutes and a screwdriver to set everything back if you don't like it.
Much thanks Jeff! I bought my 04 a month and half ago and have been enjoying it so much, I never did get around to tweeking the suspension. The fellow I bought it off of (gotta be careful here, he's a member of this board) is uhm.. er.. stout.

His setup, was sport bike firm, which makes sense for his weight/style of riding:

Front:

Preload: 1

Rebound: 4

Compression: 6

Rear:

Preload: Soft

Rebound: 4

Well the rain finally stopped and while waiting for the roads to dry off, I gave the settings a diddle based on your specs. VERY nice. Much more compliant for my weight (165-170). I think I can back down the front preload another notch, but really, its very close where it is. No wobble in high speed sweepers, low speed the bike feel planted. If we ever should meet. Beverage is on me.

For those that are lighter in weight, you may want to give these settings a try. I'm 150 lbs without gear and generally ride without a passenger.

Front

Preload: -1 from stock (i.e. 4 lines showing)

Compression: +3 clicks from stock (i.e. harder)

Rebound: +5 clicks from stock (i.e. harder)

Rear

Preload: Just nudge the adjustment bar about an inch from full soft to stiffen it up just a tad

Rebound: +2 clicks from stock (i.e. harder)

These settings will provide good compliance without being mushy or too stiff. Some may question softening the preload on the spring, but for us lighter folks its necessary to get the right amount of static sag in the front suspension.

I thought about asking about 2-up with 325 settings but then realized that at my age I couldn't be bothered playing around! I have ridden every style bike there is over my 25 years riding & I had high hopes for the 05 FJR I recently bought (12K). The vibes are numbing both of my hands within minutes & I'm really hoping playing around with the susp is going to resolve or at least lessen this issue!
Any recommended settings for one-up 300lb settings guys?
First, I'd love to know where you find a 25 lb. pillion that can stay on the bike? :)

I would start with:

Front

Preload - 1 line

Rebound (top clicker)- 7 clicks

Compression (bottom clicker)- 5 clicks

Rear

Preload - HARD

Rebound - 5 clicks

You can set the Rear Preload to SOFT whenever running the slab to lessen your fatigue.