New to FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pmatty

Reaction score
Greetings from Utah

Just purchased a 2019 A.
Will post pics soon. A lifelong Yamaha rider. Started with a 97 Virago.
Now ride a 09 Warrior XV1700 but needed something for touring. (Warrior is a beast but not super comfy and my wife wouldn’t go with me).

Have a 2000 mile Pacific Coast trip planned for the fall, looking for suggestions to make my wife most comfortable (seat, backrest, peg extensions, etc.)

Looking forward to the FJR community.

Greetings from Utah

Just purchased a 2019 A.
Now ride a 09 Warrior XV1700 but needed something for touring. (Warrior is a beast but not super comfy and my wife wouldn’t go with me).

Have a 2000 mile Pacific Coast trip planned for the fall, looking for suggestions to make my wife most comfortable (seat, backrest, peg extensions, etc.)

Welcome from Arendal, Norway. Drive safe🏍️, and enjoy the best ride in the world,,,,, at least my opinion 👍🏍️😂.

Congrats and welcome!

If you are going to be doing a lot of two-up riding I would seriously consider upgrading the suspension. Especially if the combined weight of the two of you is on the hefty side. That means at the minimum a new aftermarket shock. Definitely with adjustable remote hydraulic preload. My preference is Ohlins and Wilbers. Penske is another popular option. But I don't know if they do the easily adjustable preload. Not as critical, but nice would be aftermarket forks upgraded internals.

Another 'must' for the comfort and secure feeling for your passenger is a top box. Your three main choices here are Yamaha, Givi, or Shad. Whichever you choose, make sure you also get the respective metal rack that the box mounts to and replaces the OEM plastic rack. Some folks just mount to the OEM rack and that can lead to rear subframe failure.

And then there is the seat. Get a custom built one. Another *must* as fare as I am concerned. I would go with Russel Day Long. They ain't cheap, but they are the best. Having that custom passenger seat has made all the difference for my passenger on longer days in the saddle.

How tall is your pillion? I've never needed passenger footpeg lowering brackets. My passengers have ranged between 5'3" and 5'7".

Welcome from Tucson Arizona. You will love the FJR. I have a 2020 ES and a BMW k1600 GTL
Wow! In 2018 I was deciding between a FJR or K1600GTL. If if wasn't for jackassed BMW dealers in my area, the K bike would be in my garage. Instead I saved nearly $10k and got a FJR. I enjoy my FJR but always wondered 'what if'!. If you get a chance, it would be great to read your impressions of the two and a comparison of the these two top sport tourers.

Greetings from Utah

Just purchased a 2019 A.

Welcome to FJR land!

Make sure the top box has a comfortable back rest. You might consider putting armrests on the topbox. I'm imagining the kind a beach chair uses so that they might fold UP. That woud take some eingineering. If $$$ is not a problem, then a Russel Day Long for her would be good.

I've traveled from San Diego to Omaha, camping my way as I went. For comfort, a motel every night would be a great idea!

Safe travels,

Congrats and welcome!

If you are going to be doing a lot of two-up riding I would seriously consider upgrading the suspension. Especially if the combined weight of the two of you is on the hefty side. That means at the minimum a new aftermarket shock. Definitely with adjustable remote hydraulic preload. My preference is Ohlins and Wilbers. Penske is another popular option. But I don't know if they do the easily adjustable preload. Not as critical, but nice would be aftermarket forks upgraded internals.

Another 'must' for the comfort and secure feeling for your passenger is a top box. Your three main choices here are Yamaha, Givi, or Shad. Whichever you choose, make sure you also get the respective metal rack that the box mounts to and replaces the OEM plastic rack. Some folks just mount to the OEM rack and that can lead to rear subframe failure.

And then there is the seat. Get a custom built one. Another *must* as fare as I am concerned. I would go with Russel Day Long. They ain't cheap, but they are the best. Having that custom passenger seat has made all the difference for my passenger on longer days in the saddle.

How tall is your pillion? I've never needed passenger footpeg lowering brackets. My passengers have ranged between 5'3" and 5'7".
Thanks for the suggestions.
Planning on a box for the back, good info.

My passenger is 5'8" she is slender so she felt a little cramped when we went out only once (weather is still too snowy to get good rides in)