New to me Gixxer, with a catch...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmk

Reaction score
Well I saw an 02 GSX-R600 for sale on the side of the road and and long story short its now sitting in my garage.

With a whopping 3480 mi on it, never down, clean title. It is in need of new tires, and that's about it. With one exception... the tach.

The symptoms: with the key OFF the tach sweeps, over and over. Every 3 seconds or so... just like you turned it on. No back lights just the needle sweeping from 0 to the red and back.

With the key ON engine OFF the tack sweeps just like above but with the back-light on and the temp oil light flash with every sweep, as does the low fuel. The digital speedometer shows a self check all segments black, again this happens about every 3 seconds.

With the key ON engine RUNNING same as above with the exception that if your rolling it will show your speed every 3rd time. It never seems to show your current tack reading it just sweeps.

It runs perfect, all turn signals work, headlight tail light etc. even the signal indicator in the cluster works.

I know this is a shot in the dark but anyone here with a gixxer had this happen?

Things I have done:

Internet search, but nothing quite like this shows up..

Removed instrument cluster and checked pins, all clean, no sign of corrosion, or loose wires.

Removed right faring, checked wire connections, again, all clean.

Took up the tank and looked at all connections I could get my hands on, again all clean.

No sign of mice, or other critters.

Due to the fact that the speed was displayed I thought the gauge would be good just a bad wire some where, perhaps its worth just picking up a used one on ebay and swapping it out?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thank you,

-kmk

Wondering if normal mode is, once diagnostic cycle is complete, there should possibly be a relay triggered by the ECU (or internal to the ECU) to engage 'run' mode. Dunno. Gixxer forum might be a better place for the answer.

Similar issue in a VW Jetta.

Circuit board behind the gauges had a crack in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like for the money Ill order a new gauge cluster and see if that resolves my issue. Yes it is reminiscent of a grounding issue... I have not checked for recalls... that is now on the list. Its registered as of today, but still needs new rubber and brakes... Thanks for the replies, always appreciated.

-kmk

If anyone was curious, it was indeed a bad cluster.. I took the old one apart and can not see anything wrong with it but with all the little resistors and capacitors on it it would only take one to cause issue.... with a new one installed I'm good to go, thanks to all who helped.