New Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgross

Recusant Infidel
Reaction score
At the IMS in Long Beach (10 days ago) I filled out cards at vendors. Like most folks, I figure it can't do any harm - but I don't hold my breath waiting to hear that I won something.

Two days later I received an email from National cycle:

"We are happy to inform you that you name was drawn as the winner of a free VStream for your 2003 FJR1300."

Seriously?? I had to read it twice to believe it.

They wanted my mailing address so they could ship it to me.

It came at 1745 yesterday. Took about 10 minutes to install, looks great - looks BIG compared to the OEM "touring" screen which, in '03, was about the size of the "sport" screen starting in '04.

It is only 2" taller, but 7" wider at the top. Doesn't look like a barn door, just a bit less 'sporty'.

I took it for a test ride today and found the airflow to be smooth and quieter - even in the fully retracted position. Did I mention quieter?

No noticeable movement at freeway speeds, though I didn't have a chance to try it in 'dirty' air around 18-wheelers.

No matter what, I can't complain - it was free!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Gonna have to take a road trip to really test it out. Oh, darn.

Congrats. I love the vstream on my 09, but it is soo freaking hot when it's hot. Can't get no relief.

But it rocks in the cold and rain.

Congratulations!
smile.png

Post a photo if you can...

Brett,

Congrats on winning something. How cool is that? Don't think I ever won anything. Can't even seem to win at Solitaire. Just not the lucky sort, I guess. But I am lucky enough to have an FJR which is certainly good enough for me.

Road trip
bike.gif

Florida is nice this time of year and you're overdue for a 50cc anyway. You'll recall that the last time I saw you we agreed (well, I did anyway) that the next time we met it would be at my place.

So when should I expect to see that beautiful custom painted FJR in the driveway?

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know what specific Vstrom model it is? Unless they only sell one for the FJR?
National Cycle (Google it) currently offers these:
Gen 1: one choice, 20.5" H x 21.2" W (mine)

Gen 2: one choice, 22.2" H x 20.5 W (fits your '10)

Gen 3: three choices

"Sport" 17.5"H x 20.5 W (Dark Tint)

"Sport Touring" 20.25 H x 20.5 W (Light Tint)

"Touring" 23.25H x 20.5W (Clear)

HTH

Gary -

That 50cc is still on the bucket list. I'm toying with the idea of doing it in Spring, April or May. My wimpy preference is for better weather and longer daylight hours. In my fertile imagination I see myself shooting for a 100ccc, with the option of bailing when reality smacks me in the head! Meanwhile I'll squeeze in a BB1500 to get my body used to the FJR on a longer distance. (The Hondapotamus has seen those distances and laughs.)

My 'idea plan' would be to leave San Diego at midnight so as to do the majority of West Texas Forest Rat country in daylight, before getting a motel in Junction, TX. Then leave Jct before sunup and make Jacksonville Beach just after sunset, with several hours to spare for slumber.

If my bones & brain allow, I'd leave JB at 0600 ('borrowing 3 hours from the second 50cc) and be in Jct. before the deer head for the roads.

The new V-Streem windscreen (looks, MODS, I didn't hijack my own thread!) should really help reduce the noise & buffeting and help with fatigue.

Unlike Tony, I'm a girlie-man who has been spoiled by my Wingabago. I gotta work into this change slowly!

Happy Thanksgiving. Time for a ride!

Do you know what specific Vstrom model it is? Unless they only sell one for the FJR?
National Cycle (Google it) currently offers these:
Gen 1: one choice, 20.5" H x 21.2" W (mine)

Gen 2: one choice, 22.2" H x 20.5 W (fits your '10)

Gen 3: three choices

"Sport" 17.5"H x 20.5 W (Dark Tint)

"Sport Touring" 20.25 H x 20.5 W (Light Tint)

"Touring" 23.25H x 20.5W (Clear)

HTH
Thanks!

I have the V-Stream sport touring version on my 2014. Better than the Yamaha touring windscreen IMO (I also have that one). I like the looks of the light tint, too, on the 2014.

Sounds great. This may be my next purchase. I have the stock "touring" screen for my 14. While it's much better than the placebo screen that comes standard, I still get far too much shoulder buffeting on the interstate I'm going as big as I can get. The only real complaint I have with the current FJR is that the front fairing and windscreen are nonexistent. A big screen is a must for LD comfort on the highway.