New Yamaha FJR Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caryb

Reaction score
The dealer had one in stock today so I picked it up. I replaced a CalSci Medium (I think it was the +3.5 tall). I'm 6'3" with a 33" inseam.

First Impression:

• The Yamaha screen has a shape similar to the original... Camber both from top to bottom and side to side.
  • The angle of attack (due to the camber) is much less than the CalSci at all levels.
  • Air flow off the screen is much more laminar/smoother at all speeds up to 70mph (thats as fast as I got to go in Friday afternoon traffic.)
  • Back pressue seems to be less at all speeds.
  • The buffetting in my cheap KBC helmet is almost gone.
  • The bike looks better.
At this early stage, I'm very happy.
Anybody looking for a CalSci medium for a good price?

CaryB

A few questions:

-Pictures?

-What year's does it fit (i.e. only for Gen II)?

-What did you pay for it?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Pictures below.

I am pretty sure it is Gen II bikes only.

I paid full US retail $110. Which is much less than the aftermarket screens from other vendors.

In this image you can see the profile shape of the screen.

IMG_1545.jpg

In this image you can see how the general shape of the screen is very similar to the original factory small screen.

IMG_1544.jpg

This picture is taken from my eye level in the saddle.

IMG_1543.jpg

So now that you've been using it for a few weeks, how do you like it? Does it get too warm on a hot day?

Thanks.

Different from either the 03 OEM or the gen 1 AHAMAY (touring) screens. Is there a name/number for it other than "OEM" since there are 3 different options already? 03 and before OEM, 04 - 07(?) OEM and optional Touring screen?

Caryb,

You still like the extended windshield?? I have been considering one. How quick do they change out??

Caryb,

You still like the extended windshield?? I have been considering one. How quick do they change out??

Its been a while since I looked at this thread so i apologize for the slow response.

I don't know the specific name for the screen but here it is on the Yamaha website: https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/.../5/501/1990/15910/2007/1/6934/0/0/detail.aspxhttps://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelscitemdetail/5/501/1990/15910/2007/1/6934/0/0/detail.aspx

I still like it much better than the CalSci I had. The flow of air off the screen is cleaner at all angles and all speeds for me. It is not a barn door screen!. It is +4 inches taller than the stock screen. If you are fairly tall then you will allways have some airflow hitting the helmet. It is the best looking alternative screen I have seen as it follows the styling lines of the bike IMO.

To my knowledge there is not a tinted version of the screen.

Changing out the screen is very simple. Perhaps a 15 minute exercise if you take your time. You need to be careful as some of the screws are nylon(plastic) and you need to be carful not to tear them up.

CaryB