Newbie 2015 vs 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Linky from CA DMV regarding residents and new vehicles. And yes, if the vehicle in question is a 50 state rig then it's eligible for "new" registration.
Rumor has it Smokey Point Cycle Barn has ordered/sold a 16ES for $17K. Not D&H pricing but close enough to avoid the hassle.
Not bad! Better than what any local dealer would accept from me. That's $300 more than the Salem, OR deal, but a lot closer. $350 more than having one delivered to my door though. That'll pay for my Givi top box. :) I'll report back here if shipping from D&H turns out to be any kind of a hassle.

Thanks for all the great feedback.

I'm steering towards the 2016,and purchasing locally as I have a 2010 Honda NT700V as a trade in,so it would be a easier transaction.

I'm 5'7",inseam 31" wt 165lbs,athletical.
weight_lift.gif
Hoping the transition from a 570lb bike to a 650lb won't be to difficult.

I am used to throwing Sport Bikes around R1's etc,so that should help.
smile.png

I'll keep you guys informed along with pics,when that time comes. Hope to enjoy being a member of the new to me forum world.

Cheers David

Last edited by a moderator:
The best is to get exactly what you want, because in a few years the money will not matter anyhow... So figure out what you like, then find the best deal you can and buy it. And know this, that a good deal is personal. You will always hear about somebody who did better. For me personally, when I decided to go for my dream and get a sport touring bike, I checked out all the brands. In the end, the FJR was by far the best of the bunch and the best bang for the buck. I found a 2014A last Feb for $12,900. That got me looking real hard... Then I researched the ES and knew that's what I wanted. Ended up traveling over 200 miles round trip to get the best deal and got a 15' ES for $15,200 OTD. I couldn't be happier! The extra $2300 was worth it, plus I really like the graphite color. And I did give my local dealer the option to match... they wouldn't budge because they only had one. I still have a good relationship with them as a result.

Good luck and enjoy!

I'm 5' 5" with a 29" inseam. You won't have any problems. I have just under 40,000 mile on my '08 and have toured around the country and into Canada. I had 15,000 on my '05 when I sold it and am looking forward to my'16. Good luck!

bravo20 posted: <edited> I'm 5'7",inseam 31" wt 165lbs,athletical.
weight_lift.gif
Hoping the transition from a 570lb bike to a 650lb won't be to difficult.
I am used to throwing Sport Bikes around R1's etc,so that should help.
smile.png

I'll keep you guys informed along with pics,when that time comes. Hope to enjoy being a member of the new to me forum world.

Cheers David
(1) I have a 32" inseam. You will not be able to get both feet flat at stoplights. No biggie.

(2) The FJR is a big girl. Good luck throwing her around all afternoon. She will definitely respond to a twist of the wrist, however. ABS brakes are equally responsive.

(3) Post up photos of the 2016. We've been waiting since December .....

Sound advise,As I've gotten older I tend to buy what I want or go without. As they say "Better to live rich,than die rich"
smile.png

I'll post photo's when that time arrives. Thanks on the inseam input.

"Flickable" is not an adjective that can be applied to the FJR, just too heavy, long and tall. But I have "thrown" the Big Girl FJR around in the tightest technical twisties, two-up and loaded - 1,050 lbs? It can be done but it takes some muscle and work. I have gotten up some serious sweats. It can be fatiguing so if you get into that mode, more breaks is a good idea.