News Story: Biker who sank on Canyon Ferry ID'd

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pterodactyl

Reaction score
From our local paper. My son-in-law is a fire fighter and heard from some of the on-scene searchers that the rider made a 5+ mile run on the water earlier in the day, and that he was attached to the bike in some fashion.

-------------------------

ANGELA BRANDT Independent Record

Officials are searching for a Clancy man who apparently sank while trying to stunt ride a modified dirt bike across the surface of Canyon Ferry Reservoir. Blake Becker, 19, disappeared late Saturday night.

Search crews on jet skis and boats did not find any signs of Becker or his motorcycle Sunday. It is considered a recovery mission at this point.

Officials utilized a Montana Highway Patrol aircraft Sunday evening to aid the efforts, which began at about midnight Sunday. Authorities received the report at 11:56 p.m. Saturday.

The search efforts continued until about 7 p.m. Sunday. Crews will start again Monday morning.

Becker was attempting to ride from the east shore to the west shore and went into the water somewhere near Cemetery Island, said Capt. Jason Grimmis with the Lewis and Clark County Sheriff's Office. The water in the area is about 140 feet deep.

Grimmis said sonar equipment is being used to find any indicators.

Becker had modified a dirt bike to ride on water. He was wearing a life vest but may have gotten tangled in a cord and been pulled under, Sheriff Leo Dutton said.

The U.S. Coast Guard, Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks and several private boats are also helping with the effort.

I want to say something sarcastic about this but the man died. It's a bit difficult to take any life for granted where I am sitting right now.

But really? He tried to ride a dirt bike across a 140 foot deep reservoir? What will they think of next?

I want to say something sarcastic about this but the man died. It's a bit difficult to take any life for granted where I am sitting right now.
But really? He tried to ride a dirt bike across a 140 foot deep reservoir? What will they think of next?

RF, Yes you are way to kind to be sarcastic about another persons death.

So I'll do it for you.

While I am sorry to hear of this rider dying, I am sure he will place very high in this years Darwin Awards.

I forget the rider's name, but I've watched videos of somebody surfing on a modified bike. It had a paddle tire on the back, I think, and a ski on the front. The dude was surfing some big waves.

Airboss, I hear what you're saying, but probably half of the population of the U.S.thinks we "normal" motorcycle riders are also candidates.

Don't you remember when you were young and jumped off the high wall of an abandoned strip mine, grabbed a sapling on the way down, and had a nice soft landing? Or when you jumped off the roof using your mom's umbrella for a parachute? Oh, wait a minute, that was me!

Y'all are being too harsh. Motorcycle.

It wasn't a strip mine.......................................It was a gravel pit.

Plus the slide for life in the loose gravel at the bottom of the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't a strip mine.......................................It was a gravel pit.
Didn't need a tree. Came to a nice slide about halfway down. The sand pit was better though, not as much air time but a better landing.

Was there a video at the start of him saying: Hey, Y'all, Watch This!! Some one hold me beer!!
worriedsmiley.gif
Too Soon?

I know that Crap happens and that he was pushing the envelope..but I'm sad for the death of some mother's son. We all know 19 year olds think that bad stuff happens to "somebody else".

Stuff I did with or without thinking when I was 19...I could easily been an old, cold memory by now. In fact, much better people than me have passed on due to the incongruities of life. We all know those people.

-Relaxing in ATL, waiting for Barney and Goober to fly me home to the promised land.

I know that Crap happens and that he was pushing the envelope..but I'm sad for the death of some mother's son. We all know 19 year olds think that bad stuff happens to "somebody else".
Stuff I did with or without thinking when I was 19...I could easily been an old, cold memory by now. In fact, much better people than me have passed on due to the incongruities of life. We all know those people.

-Relaxing in ATL, waiting for Barney and Goober to fly me home to the promised land.
Wait, I still think that bad stuff only happens to other people...........

You young whippersnappers...
laugh.png

It is one of the greatest ironies of life that when we are young and have the most to lose we are daring; but as we age, and have less time remaining, we gradually become more careful, watch what we eat because it might be bad for you, and are unwilling to take as many risks for the sheer joy of it.

Still, it doesn't explain why you would fasten yourself to a bike that is going to sink like an anchor if anything goes wrong with your daring stunt attempt. There is only one cure for certain levels of stupidity.

At 11:56 p.m. on a Saturday, what state do you think the rider was in and how functional was his decision making? Heck, even baseline he was under the influence of youth and almost certainly with the comradery of other similarly clueless friends. I mean, what could go wrong?

You young whippersnappers...
laugh.png

It is one of the greatest ironies of life that when we are young and have the most to lose we are daring; but as we age, and have less time remaining, we gradually become more careful, watch what we eat because it might be bad for you, and are unwilling to take as many risks for the sheer joy of it.

Still, it doesn't explain why you would fasten yourself to a bike that is going to sink like an anchor if anything goes wrong with your daring stunt attempt. There is only one cure for certain levels of stupidity.
Hey, it would have been OK if he just had one of those Alpinestars airbag suits, or if he was riding an airbag equipped Wing.