no longer a FJR owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rented an 04 or 05 (it was 2005 when I rode) at Thanksgiving to spend a long weekend riding through SE TX. I will say that the acceleration scared the )(*%$) out of me. It was a fun ride. I just went cruising over some really nice smooth asphalt roads, I wasn't into the twisties.

Had I known that you could get hardbags with them, I may have strayed prior to buying my FJR.

It's a fun bike. Enjoy! (regardless of what some on this forum will say) :huh:

A Buell Ulysses XB12 was the first "sport tourer" I ever saw in action. I was riding a VTX 1800 at the time and was amazed at how fast and managable the Buell was. It was owned by the rider of the local Harley shop and he had picked it up from an owners conference for cheap. I was totally impressed and would have bought one if not for the seat being so high. I guess that was just fates way of sending me over to the Feej :)

['818Guy' date=Sep 6 2008, 08:36 PM' post='484979]Today, with just over 2 years of ownership, almost 21,000 miles, I traded in my 2006 FJR 1300AE for a 2008 Buell Ulysses XB12XT - the street Ulysses (street tires and lower seat/suspension).

It's been a love/hate relationship with my FJR. It was just the throttle response that I could get past. Even with the PCIII.

However, this message board has been great throughout my FJR ownership and with that I owe a debt of gratitude. :clapping:

Keep the rubber side down everyone.

[/quote

Hey just do it, why tell anyone, enjoy the ride and next time keep to yourself, idiot.
Tony, are you always such an ass-hole or only when you are hiding behind a keyboard where you can't get your ass kicked? :asshat:

At 70 mph and above, the Buell is as smooth if not smoother than the FJR for engine vibs. This has been my experience.
Interesting... because it definitely wasn't mine. And my SV-650 has more vibes than the FJR. This was at a Harley dealership, so I'm pretty sure the bike was "ok" and not somehow broken. On one hand, the HD dealership is a block and a half down the road from home. On the other hand, I have friends that would stop speaking to me if I bought a Harley. :)
We wouldnt stop talkin' to ya........We would just laugh our a##@^# off at cha...... :rolleyes:

My brother likes the buells mainly because he's a harley guy and works on the bikes himself. He told me about how he had to weld the exhaust because the vibration had broken it. Good thing he's a welder. I rode the XB9R hehad before the run in with the deer and just didn't like the 6500 rpm redline and small power band. I guess you'd have to ride it awhile to get used to it. I rode a ducati ST4i the other day and it was comparable but with a much nicer redline on the motor. Pretty much a sportbike with bags on it though lots different than the feej. Made my XX feel like a touring bike

I was seriously thinking about the Ulysses when I bought my Vstrom two years ago. The vibes through the pegs was really bad. My feet fell asleep. This was a deal breaker for me. Plus the lack of any real wind protection. I did really like the looks however.

Anyway... I'm happy with the FJR!

I rode the XB12XT at an open house weekend.I found it to be a refreshing change of pace.I did enjoy myself but after two years on my FJR I just couldn't go back.I really like being able to run at 80mph and still have lots left to give.I also found it to have a high speed walk.I think a good steering damper would fix that.I came very close to buying it(HD financing makes it way too easy) but I enjoy sleeping indoors in a warm cozy bed.Mention the words HD product or Victory my five foot tall blonde gets a little testy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glad to hear you found a bike that suits your needs better. I actually have ridded the Buell too! Nice bike. Different kind of ride than the FJR but still very fun!

BTW, I agree.. Buell has come a long way since 1995.

WW

Last edited by a moderator: