No voltage feeding headlight on/off relay

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPTuner

Reaction score
I was riding my FJR this afternoon & noticed I had no headlights. After coming home & pouring over previous threads for 3 hours to get an idea of the wiring, I have no voltage on the red/yellow wires feeding the on/off relay. The fuse is good, & I checked on the backside of the fuseblock to make sure the red/yellow wire is hot there, it is. I'm losing fire somewhere between the fuseblock & the connector at the relay. Anybody got any ideas? I'm supposed to leave Thursday morning for a 4 day trip to the mountains, so I need some quick help! :D

You can open up the left handlebar switch assembly and check for voltage at the high/low beam selector switch. That switch should have voltage whenever the ignition is switched on and the headlight fuse is good.

Can't speak for the GenI, but on my GenII this kind of problem was due to the Hi/Lo relay degrading sufficiently (internal relay contacts) to prevent it from working reliably. On the GenII this relay is located behind Panel B (looking from LHS while sitting on the bike). If you can find where that relay is on the GenI try tapping it with something like the handle of a screw driver to see if it will come to life, at least until next time, but this will confirm the if it's the same problem.

The hi/low switch & relay is working okay. In my troubleshooting, I had the ignition switched on with the right hand grip kill switch off. While toggeling the hi/low switch back & forth, you could hear the relay clicking. So then I jumpered voltage to the blue/green wire leaving the on/off relay & the headlights worked fine,hi beams & low beams. I think my problem is the loss of fire to the on/off relay. Is there a connector between the fuseblock & on/off relay that could be giving me problems? I don't have a shop manual but I'm getting one! Also, the ecm IS sending the ground signal when it's running.

There is an eleven wire wiring harness disconnect plug connector somewhere under the front nose near the gauge cluster and relays which breaks the headlight power circuit between the on/off relay and the headlight fuse. The circuit between the hi/lo switch and its relay also loops through this eleven wire connector. The on/off relay may be bad.