North GA Mountains Labor Day weekend

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops, I read the Ash-whatever wrong.
blush.png
Guess I'll be much closer the Wheaton.
That's what I figured, people do that it the time.

Got home about noontime. I made the call to truncate the ride...David hasn't really been on the bike much since he got down here, so we turned around at Clayton. David and I will work on his FJR curvy road fu for awhile on the 178s and 276s local here before doing a high mileage day.

So I've got to get back to N. GA...Mebbe another weekend in September or October.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Wheatie - if I extend my SFO a day or two past the weekend, I'm going to play in North Georgia. I want to explore the area much more.

Perhaps we can meet and buff off the chicken strips?

Hey Wheatie - if I extend my SFO a day or two past the weekend, I'm going to play in North Georgia. I want to explore the area much more.Perhaps we can meet and buff off the chicken strips?
Sounds like a fun idea...if the planets align for something on that day...I'd be up for that...but I'm just a middlin FJR rider...you might get bored. :D

Hey Wheatie - if I extend my SFO a day or two past the weekend, I'm going to play in North Georgia. I want to explore the area much more.Perhaps we can meet and buff off the chicken strips?
Sounds like a fun idea...if the planets align for something on that day...I'd be up for that...but I'm just a middlin FJR rider...you might get bored.
biggrin.png
pans, don't let him fool ya, he is a sleeper! ....unless he gets a flat then he has to slow down, but it won't take him long to fix it. He had plenty of practice and you won't have to help him either.
laugh.png

Wheatie: Be glad ya'll stayed away from North GA today. We were headed north out of Suches and passed 10 state troppers heading south. We then heard later in the day speed traps everywhere and "safety" checkpoints in three locations. We Rode 68 up to the Cherohala Skyway, Great pass on the Skyway till we happened upon a pretty bad wreck.

Anytime you guys want to expolre North GA let me know!

Wheatie: Be glad ya'll stayed away from North GA today. We were headed north out of Suches and passed 10 state troppers heading south. We then heard later in the day speed traps everywhere and "safety" checkpoints in three locations. We Rode 68 up to the Cherohala Skyway, Great pass on the Skyway till we happened upon a pretty bad wreck.
Anytime you guys want to expolre North GA let me know!
So my son saved me a ticket it sounds like...sorry to hear of wreck on the Cherohala.

Absolutely, if I head over there on a Saturday or Sunday, I'll pm you beforehand.

A long day has me wandering across from Warwoman to Clayton to Helen to Suches to Blueridge...and back. So that's about my limit if my usual pace can be maintained.

Sorry, I didn't fully read/comprehend the day that you'd be talking about. Besides doing EOM and Hooterville, I can only ride weekends.

We headed back to town on Sunday and missed the GSP safety patrols. Wouldn't have mattered; a group of 7 bikes cannot possibly break the speed limit.
innocent.gif

Looks like wheatonFJR and griff have discovered GA 197, but have they discovered Mulberry Road and Betty's Creek Road? (That's a quickie if you're near Dillard.) Have they discovered NC 106 and GA 246 to Dillard from Highlands? Probably.

There's also Wayah/Junaluska Roads up there, too; between Andrews and Mount Hope. We managed to get most of those on Saturday and half of Sunday.

Other riders I know got nailed up there this weekend. They were using helicopters as well - a friend of mine got ticketed for an offense "claimed" by a heli.

On reflection, that's partly why I typically avoid the fun roads on a holiday weekend.. Good thing I decided to be Productive at home instead..

I have never seen the Cherohala so congested as it was on Sunday.

Cruisers, Sportbikes, and cars all seeking different speeds, yet many bunched into unholy packs. I only traveled to the Turkey Creek Overlook, then retreated back to Tellico and South.

I enjoyed Hud's Mulberry Rd suggestion on Saturday. Steep & Crooked.

Had planned that looplet once or twice before...

Just spotted one FJR all weekend. A two color blue at TWO.

Rode Wayah mid week. About a third of the western portion near Franklin is fresh & wonderful pavement. Unfortunately, NCdot planted shoulders deep in gravel which gets spread randomly across the road due to washouts and cars dropping inside wheels off the paving.

I saw 3 FJR's on Sunday in the area of US19/US129 and GA60 just south of Suches and on Richard Russell Scenic. We had a group of 12 bikes (mainly rockets) and it is entirely possible to have a group that size exceed the posted limit. But the 1 time I got separated from the group (waiting on a rider), I missed the stop at the Lodge on Blood Mtn, so I made a quick loop up to Wolf Pen Gap Rd (GA180). Went thru a license check and saw 3 GSP parked and waiting. It was the 4th one that I didn't see that got me.

Blue ridge from I-26 all the way to US-74 was completely full of gawking leaf lovers cruising at 20mph. When you have a rail of six cars and bikes waiting on you to get off the road, you're probably going too slow. I thought that maybe being a Monday, holiday or not, it would be okay. Nope. OTOH, unless it's in the mail, I haven't gotten any performance awards from this weekend. I guess the cops decided the slow pace of sight seers would be enough to control traffic flow. Once I got past Cherokee (a clutch blistering parking lot at the time) and headed back on other roads, the frustration was greatly reduced. The only other Dud road was NC-1756 because it was dirty, chopped up and very tight.

Something that surprised me was only seeing one sports bike. I saw all kinds of Cruisers, Trikes, and Sport Tours, but only one R1. FJRs were probably the second most common ST I saw behind K1600s. saw a '14, a probable '15, a '13, whatever year black cherry, and something Blue as well.

Latest posts