Nothing to mod? What is wrong with me?!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have my 2008 FJR pretty much set up the way I like it. However, when I look at the mods that have been done to the bike, especially compared to all of the mods I made to my previous bike (2008 R1), there really hasn't been a lot done...but I like the bike!

I've made a few cosmetic mods, disabled the glovebox solenoid (so it can be opened w/o the key being on), trimmed the windscreen, added a fender extender, trimmed the mudflap, installed Puig frame sliders and installed a Garauld Stiffy kit.

I really like the way the bike rides as it is, but the engineer in me keeps wondering what else there is to tweak, modify or install.

Could it be that my FJR is perfect for me the way it is?

Anyone else feel this way, about their bike?

I don't know, some see farkling as a never ending endeavor. Others just do enough to make it perfect for them. I fall in the latter category, and am happy with what little I've done.

I don't know, some see farkling as a never ending endeavor. Others just do enough to make it perfect for them. I fall in the latter category, and am happy with what little I've done.
Very well stated. I had a 2008 that I bought new and farkled it over the course of about 2 years and then hit a plateau as I felt it was as good as it would get for me. Then I bought a 2014 and farkled it over the course of about 2 months as I had learned what I wanted and needed from the 2008 (and transferred many of the farkles in the process). So yeah, for some it's a series of events leading up to a final goal and for others it's a continuous process without a specific end.

Safety farkles are a priority for me. I've done a few things for comfort, nothing for performance (nothing needed, IMO), but great lights front and rear, reflectors, nice loud horn, all very nice to have. And the CFO around here approves of anything carrying the "safety" label, too. :)

I don't know what's wrong with you guys.......... you're gonna get overweight with all that extra in your wallets......

Like some others I'm a minimalist. If the opportunity arises I'll change or swap something but only if it costs little or nothing. Otherwise I quit modding long, long ago.

Could it be that my FJR is perfect for me the way it is?
Being from MO, you probably hunt or fish. Need a fishing pole carrier bracket?
rolleyes.gif

RaYzerman19 posted: I don't know what's wrong with you guys.......... you're gonna get overweight with all that extra in your wallets......
Nope. All that "extra" goes to gas and SlimJims on the road.