Nova Scotia Road Trip July 2009

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
Hey fellow roadies,

Beginning to plan our next road trip from York, PA up to Nova Scotia. We'll be getting Pass Ports soon and are already plotting potential roads and locations. We will be overnight camping wherever needed.

What ar your favorite, or 'gotta see' places that you recommend?

Thanks

Rick S

I rode my bicycle around the southern half of NS in September. A few quick thoughts. Halifax is a nice city. The harbor is the main focus. I suggest taking a harbor cruise - we hired a sailboat for a few hours. The maritime museum is fascinating, good for a couple of hours.

It's a beautiful ride south along the Atlantic coast. Reminds me of New England with colorful towns surrounding small harbors. The two most interesting towns are Lunnenburg and Annapolis Royal. Lunnenburg is a UNESCO world heritage site - some interesting history. Annapolis Royal has the highest tides in the world - the water rises and falls 50ft every 6 hours!

Kejamakujik (sp?) national park on Hwy 8 between Liverpool and Annapolis Royal is worth a stop.

Traffic is almost non-existent outside Halifax. Generally could find good meals. No surprise, local seafood was popular. Every place makes a fish or seafood chowder - generally worth ordering.

All the locals said the Cabot Trail is worth riding. Perhaps next time for me...

This is edited this from an earlier post I made on the subject:

Plan for enough time on the island, especially if you take the ferry - because once you get off the ferry, everything you really want to see is at the opposite end of the island. And Nova Scotia is a lot bigger than it appears in the Rand-McNally.

A better way, I think, to see the most in a reasonable time frame would be to ride to Moncton, NB, and cross over into Nova Scotia there. This puts you within easier reach of the Cabot Trail and Cape Breton Highlands N.P. ( and Meat Cove, if you like ) You could then do the Marine Trail and Lighthouse Route along the SE shore on you way to Yarmouth where you can take the ferry to Bar Harbor. You'll appreciate the time on the ferry now to rest up for the trip home.

I've been all the way around it and it's a great place to visit. Never have I got to meet so many nice people. Be sure to go to Digby, the Cabot Trail and Peggy's cove. I've been twice (both times in late June). The first trip was great weather. It as sunny and warm (which we were told was a bit unsual for that time of the year). The second time it rained a lot and was pretty cool but we still had a great time. Take the CAT ferry from BarHarbor at least going or coming.

Gary

Sport,

I was just talking to Scoops (my wife) today saying that I would like to go to N.S. this July (2009) when I have off. I will PM you later. I am in Va. Bch, VA and York, PA is about 7 hour ride from here. Any way, are you going to post any other details??

V.

Sport,
I was just talking to Scoops (my wife) today saying that I would like to go to N.S. this July (2009) when I have off. I will PM you later. I am in Va. Bch, VA and York, PA is about 7 hour ride from here. Any way, are you going to post any other details??

V.
There will be more details forthcoming, however we are still at the early planning stages and still looking for as much input from others that know the general area.

Watch this space, and check ya PM's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sport,

V.
There will be more details forthcoming, however we are still at the early planning stages and still looking for as much input from others that know the general area.

Watch this space, and check ya PM's.
:poster_stupid:

Yup, asking for good places to visit in Nova Scotia right now. Primarily campgrounds, eateries, awesome roads and scenic views.

CanadianFJR is offering suggestions as well. A big harty thank you to that as well.

Sport

Posting up in this thread because we are planning the same trip this coming summer. We have a "brochure" that we picked up regarding motorcycling in Nova Scotia, but it is very confusing and mostly advertisements, which doesn't help narrow down the objectives at all.

I'll be watching and reading (instead of yapping my mouth for a change... ;) )

PS - I already have Zooom's post bookmarked. Their trip was a big part of my incentive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm planning the same trip this summer. I'll be following this closely. Not sure on the camping thing though. If we do hit a rainy spell it sure would be nice to have a dry room at night.

I looked at the CAT to cross over but the thing is expensive. It is only 600 miles from home to the land entrance so I could knock that out the first day.

We have a "brochure" that we picked up regarding motorcycling in Nova Scotia, but it is very confusing and mostly advertisements, which doesn't help narrow down the objectives at all.
I think I have the same one. Can't really get much out of it. Mostly advertisements.

Sport, I just posted on your site. As far as everyone else, feel free to PM me with specifics and I'll be able to help you out. Looking forward to possibly meeting up for a coffee.

Canadian FJR

The two brochures we used to plan out trip were; doers' & dreamers' (this is Nova Scotia, Canada's Seacoast) and Motorcycle Tour Guide Nova Scotia. I think we got both of them from the Chamber of Commerce.

Wait, Iris just reminded me that her DVD video (which includes the routes we took each day) is on youtube, here's the link

Hope this helps.

Jim

I, too, have had this trip on my "list" since 2003. Still haven't done it. I'll be lurking, too.

In 2003, I made it as close as Quebec and was told by an RCMP that heading further east on two wheels in October would be a rally bad idea, so I went west, instead, all the way to the Pacific.

A great campground, en route, is Dolly Copp, in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, near Gorham and Pinkham Notch. Dolly Copp

If you do watch the YouTube video, keep in mind that we went there in the end of May and the first week and a half in June. Two of the camp grounds we stopped at just opened that day or the day before. If you do plan to campout, be sure to stop at the Sea Breeze campground in Canso. Our campsite was right on the ocean with almost a 180 degree view. The sunset was spectacular. Another stop I would suggest is about half way around the Cabot Trail is a walking trail called Skyline Trail. It takes close to an hour to walk to the end but you will find where heaven meets the earth.

I guess I could go on and on. :rolleyes:

Jim

Greetings,

I am trying something new with planning this trip. It all started Here, which is my personal web portal. It became better when I discovered that I can create an events page; however I recently found out that it is accessable through invitation only. So; because I value your input as well as your friendship, PM me your email address and I'll send you an invitation. Morever, you are welcome to join us on this journey if you would like.

Sport, Wild72 & Bigdaddy Dan.