Nova Scotia Road Trip July 2009

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has become overwhelming to decide all that we want to see and have gaone as far as extending the trip to 8 days. The thought now turns to which scenic roads we ought to take, and then we'll just stop when something catches our eyes. So, below are a list of the 7, provinces if you will, of Nova Scotia. For those who live in the area and those who are familiar with the roads, would you be so kind as to add routes and scenic by-ways to each of the 7 areas? For example, we'll surely ride teh Cabot & Ceilidh Trail of Cape Breton. what roads would you ride in the following areas?

CAPE BRETON ISLAND

• Cabot Trail
  • Ceilidh Trail (Port Hastings to Margaree Harbour Rt #19)
NORTHCUMBERLAND SHOREEASTERN SHORE HALIFAX METRO SOUTH SHORE FUNDY SHORE & ANNAPOLIS VALLEY YARMOUTH & ACADIAN SHORES

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Northumberland - Sunrise Trail (Amherst to Antigonish)

Hailfax & South Shore - Lighthouse Route (Halifax to Peggys Cove all the way to Yarmouth)

More to follow...........

Canadian FJR

Rick and Pete -

I've been lurking and the trip looks fantastic, but not sure I could go as that's our "high" season for work.

CanadianFJR -

I heard that cod fishing is no longer allowed. Is that still true? We did it from Ingonish years ago and had an incredible time. It'd make a fantastic side-trip for a few hours.

Bob

I live in the suburbs of Halifax. If you need a place to pitch a tent you are more than welcome. And if my mother-in-law is not visiting at that time (and if there is a god in heaven she won't ever visit again!!) you can have the guest room. You can get the 10 minute FJR oil change as well.

Don't have time to give my opinions on which routes to take right now but will get back to this thread.

gypsy

As a note to those who have considered joining us on this trip:

It is time to begin the Passport Application if you do not already have one.

Wild72 has shared that March-May are the busiest months to process Passport Applications.

I plan on taking pics this week and submitting the application next week.

Thanks for the heads-up Pete.

Rick

Wow, lots of people going to N.S. this year! My S.O. and I are planning to be there from June 19-29, 2009. We are first stopping at Mt. Washington on the way up, then heading east through Maine, and into Canada. Gonna do the fun stuff first, then make our way to the Yarmouth- Bar Harbor ferry on the way out. We already got our Passport cards. I have a few ?'s to ask our Canadian friends....like, do American gas cards, and debit cards work in Canada? Maybe a local can P.M. me...as I have a few other ?'s that may not be forum safe....

...do American gas cards, and debit cards work in Canada?

I read in a local touristy book that the US dollar is the currency used. As such, I'll 'ass-u-me' that US debit/credit cards are also welcome.

Passport recieved in mail last week. Time to resume planning this trip.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about routes in Nova Scotia. I can also provide my cell number and dealership info.

Canadian FJR

I am lucky to stumble onto this site. I too plan on going in July but am going to go to the BMW rally in Johnson City, TN in mid-July first with Smitty141's brother and another guy then I am going to leave them and head to NS. I would also, for whatever insane reason, want to continue on to Goose Bay, Labrador. NS appears to be beautiful and want to spend a few days there then onward to Goose Bay and then come back above the Great Lakes to Kansas City. So much to learn and try not to miss.

I will probably take 3 or 4 weeks and take along a fishing rod and my inflatable boat if there is room and camping gear but it may not all fit. I will take the same gear to the CFR rally in June and will see how it works.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their information here.

Chester

...do American gas cards, and debit cards work in Canada?

I read in a local touristy book that the US dollar is the currency used. As such, I'll 'ass-u-me' that US debit/credit cards are also welcome.
I have a US bank card and it works fine here. Some banks charge a fee every time you withdraw cash though so don't take it out $20 at a time.

Not sure where you read that Sport but the currency here is the Canadian dollar. Canadian Bills

Many places (gas stations, hotels, touristy things) will readily accept US dollars but generally at a poor exchange rate. If you carry cash (does anyone do that anymore?) you are better off to change it at a bank. Or Visa/Mastercard generally have ok exchange rates so use credit. My US Visa Debit card works here.

gypsy

I am in Halifax, the capital of Nova Scotia. You definately want to run the Cabot Trail as others have mentioned. You can spend two or three days on the trail if you choose to hike, whale watch etc. Slow down on night rides as Moose are large on the island. I have some great photos from a ride last year. Nova Scotia while not overly large has approximately 4200 miles of coastline (due to the irregular shape) and thus has miles and miles of coastal roads. Many great and historic towns along to way, friendly and safe. If you need some help send me a message, I can recommend stops, campgrounds and hotels.

You will have a better time if you pick good secondary and coastal roads. Might see you out there. Cheers.

Clicky here if your interested in seeing how the planning progresses.
Kejimkujik National Park has a Seaside Adjunct that you'll be passing by, might be worth a stop. Nice route, you'll enjoy it. I'll take a look when I have a little time and send you some recommendations for stops.

Not sure where you read that Sport but the currency here is the Canadian dollar. Canadian BillsMany places (gas stations, hotels, touristy things) will readily accept US dollars but generally at a poor exchange rate. If you carry cash (does anyone do that anymore?) you are better off to change it at a bank. Or Visa/Mastercard generally have ok exchange rates so use credit. My US Visa Debit card works here.

gypsy

Gypsy,

Reading through one of the touristy magazines shared that the U.S. dollar is used. Hmmm. They neglected to say that it's at a poor exchange rate.

I'll be using Credit Card pretty much exclusively, though I may have a bit of cash for emergencies.

Thanks for the insight.

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
The Wife is considering flying into Halifax, I'll pick her up there and tour around Cape Breton 3-4 days then drop her back off at Halifax Intl airport to fly home.

The issue is what items and where to carry those items for two people who are planning on camping. for 4 days?

I had originally planned on storing the sleeping equipment on the pillion's seat.

What are the most popular gas stations, in N.S.? I have gas cards for Shell & Citgo. I prefer to use gas cards over cash, Thanks

What are the most popular gas stations, in N.S.? I have gas cards for Shell & Citgo. I prefer to use gas cards over cash, Thanks

Not sure? I'm bringing my Visa and carrying only a little cash. however, you bring a good point. I think I'll plot out the major gas stations every 200-250 miles.

Now I also have a Mobile card as well as Citgo and Shell. Can anybody comfirm if these gas stations are there..Thanks, Oh and my cell phone will be roaming so I am not paying .69 cents a min. Now I have 1 less piece of electronics to keep track of...