Now a miss

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
Took the bike back to the shop for another overnight stay. Service manager called me this afternoon. "Come get it, it just needed a TBS. 2 and 4 were quite a bit out. Running great now."

I wondered why they didn't do a TBS when they put it back together. I still do.

So, skeptically I went. He said they put it on the dyno, and it showed 128 RWHP. My justification came just off idle as I headed away. I went down the street, turned around and let him listen again. It sounds like a cylinder is dropping out. Not sure if it is fuel or spark, but it's not right. SM- "When I rode it, I was riding right past that." Yeah, if you twist it hard and keep shifting, it might be hard to notice. But if you cruise at first or second, maybe even third, at about three grand, it sounds like shit. "I'll call Yamaha tomorrow and see what they say."

WTF, they're baffled by a miss? Even at no charge, this is a bit more hassle than I'm comfortable with. I'm about ready to take it somewhere else, and pay a competent wrench to at least diagnose the problem.

YES is only a benefit if there's a good shop in the area. 240 miles each way for service is a bit out of bounds for me.

My question: Do you think an advanced TBS might cure this? PCIII? I'll probably hook the gauge up tomorrow and see what vacuum is doing. It sounds like a spark may be escaping.

Took the bike back to the shop for another overnight stay. Service manager called me this afternoon. "Come get it, it just needed a TBS. 2 and 4 were quite a bit out. Running great now."
I wondered why they didn't do a TBS when they put it back together. I still do.

So, skeptically I went. He said they put it on the dyno, and it showed 128 RWHP. My justification came just off idle as I headed away. I went down the street, turned around and let him listen again. It sounds like a cylinder is dropping out. Not sure if it is fuel or spark, but it's not right. SM- "When I rode it, I was riding right past that." Yeah, if you twist it hard and keep shifting, it might be hard to notice. But if you cruise at first or second, maybe even third, at about three grand, it sounds like shit. "I'll call Yamaha tomorrow and see what they say."

WTF, they're baffled by a miss? Even at no charge, this is a bit more hassle than I'm comfortable with. I'm about ready to take it somewhere else, and pay a competent wrench to at least diagnose the problem.

YES is only a benefit if there's a good shop in the area. 240 miles each way for service is a bit out of bounds for me.

My question: Do you think an advanced TBS might cure this? PCIII? I'll probably hook the gauge up tomorrow and see what vacuum is doing. It sounds like a spark may be escaping.
I would not set foot back inside that shop. They have proved they don't give a .... about doing the right thing by you. Even if they did, they don't know how to. Its a slippery slope every time they get their hands on your beloved.

Take what performance you have left and head to greener pastures.

as a life long mechanic i sometimes forget the basics and on more than one instance in trying to do a high tech fix i forget to do a compression test. just because it was just apart doesn't mean it is right. now days i always start with a comp test if it is a running problem because you are wasting time and money if there is an internal problem. just a thought. a cylinder balance test would work but i haven't tried it on a modern bike.

I would not set foot back inside that shop.  They have proved they don't give a .... about doing the right thing by you.  Even if they did, they don't know how to.  Its a slippery slope every time they get their hands on your beloved.
Take what performance you have left and head to greener pastures.
Thank you for reminding me of an old addage- The definition of insanity is repeating the same sick behavior and expecting different results. I'm outta there.

as a life long mechanic i sometimes forget the basics and on more than one instance in trying to do a high tech fix i forget to do a compression test.
Yeah, I've thought of that. I can do a comp test while I have the hood up checking the TBS. Thanks.

Gotta run to the car show now and test drive the one I bought last week. Talk about putting the cart before the horse...

I just had my headers put on by Cycle Imports in Soquel, Ca. near Santa Cruz. He was recommended by Dale Walker is Dynojet approved and is good at cusotm maps which he did for my FJR. He and Dale are well aware of the exhaust valve problem and he,Richard, the owner and wrench would be a great independent shop to have work done and I can verify by watching him install the header and custom map the FJR. He could be an option and is well below the cost per hour of othe Bay Area dealers. Two thumbs up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did ya ever fig out what was causin your miss,, as mine is doing the same thing.

I'm about ready to think it's in the EFI map, and am just about to try a PCIII to attempt to remedy the problem. It seems to pull good and idle okay, but I will be checking the compression and hooking up vacuum gauges before I try the PCIII. Does anybody else have a stumble/miss going on at 2500-3000 rpm steady speed in first and second gear?

I'm not sure that a PC-3 will solve your 'miss' problem. My guess is that since your bike was not displaying this problem when you took it into the shop, its likely to be something that they did while it was in their hands.

If it was me, I would find a dealer with a very patient competent mechanic, and get a full diagnosis of the fuel and electrical system. Trying a PC-3 may only lead you to even greater frustration/out of pocket cost.

I feel for yah TC, I've been right where you are. Hope it get resolved REAL SOON.

some of the bikes had some surging, like a miss going about the same speed of rpm's. My PC took care of this problem. I noticed it mainly in traffic or using an expressway, stop and go. If I tried to keep it at a steady speed it would start to bump around until I gave it gas. Can;t go wrong with a PC cuz if it doesn't cure the problem you can always sell it. Call Richard at Cycle Imports. He might have a few ideas. Just mention Mike with the full FJR system.

PCIII will not solve a miss, nor any other actual mechanical failures, which this is. It will help solve surges and lean spots nicely. This is sounding more like a TPS problem, as it occurs consistantly within a specific rpm range. Good under high power, but poor in steady cruise, would seem to be a perfect description of a problem that would lean toward the TPS as the culprit, not to mention these seem to be the weak spot in the FJR's sensor array. Also, this appears to be a new issue, not present before this.

Checking the TPS can easily be done through the diagnostic mode. Might be a good place to start.