NW US, SW BC adventure to begin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJReady

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Planning to leave Massachusetts around the 19th with one buddy, picking up two more in Denver around the 23rd, then heading to British Columbia for some much anticipated two-wheeled adventure. First week (after Denver) puts us in Wyoming (Yellowstone, Chief Joseph Scenic Highway, Beartooth Pass), then western Montana, northern Idaho, northern Washington into Vancouver. Then up through Whistler region, Kamloops, Revelstoke, a couple nights in Nakusp, followed by a trip to Banff, then back to the states. Then some quality time in Idaho again. Can't miss Lolo Pass, Riggins, ID and a couple nights in Ketchum ID before heading to the southern loop in Utah, New Mexico and Colorado.
If you see a gang of yokels on FJR's (two red '14s, one blue '05) accompanied by a blue R1250RT, it may be us. You peeps familiar with that region know how wonderful the riding is our there. These Massachusetts riders are very grateful for the opportunity to experience it. This trip is years in the planning, hoping that the weather gods are working in our favor these next few weeks.

Hopefully you have SR20 in Washington on your agenda, you won't be disappointed. As for the Vancouver - Whistler leg, try not to do this on a weekend as the traffic is ridiculous. Sounds like a great trip, ride safe!

Planning to leave Massachusetts around the 19th with one buddy, picking up two more in Denver around the 23rd, then heading to British Columbia for some much anticipated two-wheeled adventure. First week (after Denver) puts us in Wyoming (Yellowstone, Chief Joseph Scenic Highway, Beartooth Pass), then western Montana, northern Idaho, northern Washington into Vancouver. Then up through Whistler region, Kamloops, Revelstoke, a couple nights in Nakusp, followed by a trip to Banff, then back to the states. Then some quality time in Idaho again. Can't miss Lolo Pass, Riggins, ID and a couple nights in Ketchum ID before heading to the southern loop in Utah, New Mexico and Colorado.
If you see a gang of yokels on FJR's (two red '14s, one blue '05) accompanied by a blue R1250RT, it may be us. You peeps familiar with that region know how wonderful the riding is our there. These Massachusetts riders are very grateful for the opportunity to experience it. This trip is years in the planning, hoping that the weather gods are working in our favor these next few weeks.
Good luck, hope all goes well for what sounds a great adventure on the FJRs. How long do you think it'll take?
Mike S.

Hotelling or camping?
By mid-September, cooler overnight (and some daytime) temperatures could be a concern at higher elevations.
Highly variable - I hit snow coming out of Yellowstone in the first week in July! (Had to skip Beartooth because highway was closed)
Certainly not a bad idea to carry heated gear, if you have it.

If you need to do any service to your bikes while in the Seattle area. PM me. I have a lift and the MC shops are nearby. Also have a tire machine if needed.

That sounds like an amazing trip. I’m a few years out from taking that much time off of work (retirement) ha ha.
Being from MA as well, I’m heading to the Chabot Trail next month for a week.

Enjoy, Matt

Hey!
How was your trip?
Did you maybe start a new thread and I missed it?
I hope it was an amazing adventure, as me and my 05 look forward to doing the same upon my retirement!

Well, I totally forgot I started this thread. Senior citizen memory performance (and other things) is not what it used to be.

Overall: Wonderful trip! So many great roads and beautiful, stunning scenery. I'll add more detail later but I'll toss in a couple data items. Total miles: 12,286. States visited: 26 plus British Columbia. Flat tires: 2, speeding tickets received: 0. Speeding ticket deserved: Many. Highest elevation: 14,115 ft. Lowest, about 5ft near Vancouver. Highest temperature: 104F in Grand Island Nebraska. Lowest temp: 34F on Pikes Peak.
My FJR was flawless, discounting the burned out headlight bulb. The 2005 FJR suffered a headlight relay failure, the other 2014 FJR and the R1250RT both suffered rear tire flats. Overall very trouble free road trip.

We did have some nasty weather to deal with, most notable was the rain/hail/wind storm we rode through over rabbit Ears Pass in CO. That was hairy. We all made it ok and the beer tasted great that night!

We were lucky to be able to ride some of the best motorcycle roads in the country:

In no particular order:

Beartooth Pass
Chief Joseph Scenic Highway
Lolo Pass
Million Dollar Highway
Escalante Highway
St Joe River Rd, ID
Almost every road in BC.
Independence Pass

And so many more...
I must go back..

On the way home we had to take in the Dragon (first time I've ridden it without rain) and the Moonshiner 28 (still awesome!)

Cheers!