O the Shame! O the Humiliation!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
So I'm crossing the Bay Bridge couple mornings ago heading into San Francisco. Traffic's moving pretty good, so I'm goin' with the flow, staying in my lane for more than a few seconds at a time, not lane-sharing (much :rolleyes: ).

When it's time to pass the car in front of me 'cause he's in my way, I glance in my left mirror.....

Hold it--single bright headlamp coming up quickly behind me. I bring my left hand off the bar, ready to give 'em the wave.

Wait a minute! [Pull the wave hand back in. :glare: ]

WTF?! :blink:

Zoooooooom!!!!!! Right by me and up the middle, disappearing into the dense sea of steel and glass ahead. I can't believe it! The shame! It's a....

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

SCOOTER! :eek:

Suzuki Burgman 650

art_14729_6_01.jpg

And get this--the dude's wearin' an Aerostitch!

I can never be seen in public again. I am now living in the basement, eating dinner scraps that Fang brings me, and drinking the moisture from the walls.... My life is over..... :(

Jb

Last edited by a moderator:
Was he doing this as he rode by??? :bleh: :bleh: :bleh:

Ok, since we're in confession-mode, I ALMOST did the wave to a scooter once, caught myself right at the last second.

JB, I'm all for folks unburdening themselves, comming out of the closet, so to speak, But I really think I woulda carried this one to the grave :p

<sigh> Ok, while we're all full of truthiness around here, I got blown out by a Burgman this past Sunday afternoon. I'm tooling down I-5 doing about 70 and I see this light in my rearview getting closer, and closer, and closer, and closer and zip! Right on by. Smug bastard, he waved at me with his left hand from over the top of his helmet... :glare: My wife nudged me in the kidney to let me know that she knew that I'd just been blown out by a scooter. Can I come hide out in your basement with you, JB? Please? :unsure:

Geez. If that happened to me... I'd... I'd... move.

To the west coast. :p

I happen to think it's a nice gesture.......and just cruel enough to be funny, really.........to allow anyone on a scooter to believe, even if only for a moment, that they're able to run with the big dogs :derisive:

I think it gives them hope. You know?

Actually, the Burgman is a pretty cool little scoot. They'll run close to, or better than 100mph. and handle pretty decent. Been trying to talk the wife into one to learn on. Hasn't worked yet. :( If you look at one head on, they kinda, I said kinda look like an FJR, but that about it!

JB.... I'm thinking that the next time you go to one of those cornering schools or high speed maneuvering schools, you see if they have a scooter for you to test ride. I really think you would look spectacular in your suit with the knee pucks on a scooter....

My confession is I was coming back from Napa one afternoon on Silverado Trail and this really bright headlight kept getting brighter. I slowed down to see what type of bike was sporting a Mercedes Blue type light and it was a scooter. It really pissed me off so in my best JB fashion I said F**K the speed limit and lost sight of him about Stag's Leap Winery. I guess you can't do that on the Golden Gate Bridge.... Well maybe you can!

1.) I didn't know it was a race.

2.) I didn't know it was "our" road.

3.) It might have been any other 2-wheeled conveyance.

...I said kinda look like an FJR, but that about it!
Yes, there is a "family" resemblance.

Maybe call it:

S A P

Scooters Anonymos P............... wait, I'll think of something............ :unsure:

On my way to the Davis Rally last year I was running down I35, cruise set to 85...I see a "bike" coming up behind me way back...I forget about it...not too much longer a Burgman goes sailing by me doing about 95-100...I gave him the thumbs up and just watched him keep going. I think they have to be the fastest scooter on the market. I think they are 600cc or so, might even be bigger than the SilverWing.

I think I'll check in to one of those Burgmans. From all accounts they seem to have bright headlights and a tendancy to blow FJRs into the weeds. I had always heard you met the nicest people on a Honda, but the Burgman bunch seem to be raising the bar.