OEM muffler modification

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger dodger

Reaction score
On my '02 Kawasaki Concours we had a mod to poke a hole (1" diameter) in the last baffle of the OEM canister. SISF (great guy) made this up as a way to reduce back-pressure, add a little more sound, AND retain the stock look of the bike. I did it on my Connie and loved it. A little more noise, no cost, and maybe a little power boost (even if only in my mind). So...have any of you frugalists ever poked a hole in the stock cans rather than buy new stuff? :)

I found this quote:

Ronnie Retread.........Jan 5 2009, 06:05 PMI did exactly as you noted, drilling through the existing holes in the tailpipe to create the same diameter holes in the baffle. This has resulted in crisper throttle response; the bike immediately lunges forward when suddenly twisting the throttle, the exhaust note is much deeper, in fact annoys my wife when she is a passenger, fuel economy has ever so slightly improved, & I believe the engine runs slightly cooler judging by the temperature gauge. I am pleased with the results as I have been making this same modification to previous bikes I've owned.
in this thread. by using Google: muffler modification site:fjrforum.com

I hope it helps in your decision.

Power boost or maybe loss?

The CatCon on my 2000 GP1200R Waverunner detonated. It was an expensive repair. Or you can buy a blank off plate (legal in countries other than the US) for $50.00. Guess which on I opted for?

Anyway, back to the point... The blank off plate provided less back pressure than the Cat Con. End result was a fraction less RPM and HP.

It did free up my oil options!

Buy some slip on's. Keep the stockers, stock. If you ever sell the bike, put the stock back on and sell the slip on's here...

Just my .02