OES sliders and engine mount bolts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slade

Reaction score
Just received some OES frame sliders. Good looking parts...hoping to never have to test their functionality. :blink: Went to install them and found another instance of improperly torqued bolts. If there was 10lbs/ft of torque on those bolts I'd be surprised. Both left and right were just beyond finger tight. Hate to think what might've happened should they have worked loose in the middle of a trip...or worse a corner! Torqued the new bolts with the sliders down to 35lbs/ft per instructions...quite a bit more than the originals. I just got this left over new 2008 and have 1100 miles on it.

One of the reasons I got the OES was the metal sleeves built in that are supposed to keep you from having to retorque the bolts as frequently. Now I just glad to have some reassurance that the motor is not going to shift around or drop out. :dribble:

Found a number of other fittings that were inadequately torqued as well. I was going to check all the listed nefarious bolts anyway when I installed the sliders but did not expect the way loose condition I found. All the bolts had paint dots on them as well. I'll be telling my dealer about this condition as they just put out two new FJR's last week. I'm guessing what felt like a tight bike in the corners may feel even better now without all the flexing that had to be present.

Be careful out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
My engine mount bolts were okay and I haven't found anything else loose in the course of maintenance, with the exception of the steering stem nut. I noticed a clunking when I rode the brand new bike home from the dealer; that thing was at around 35 ft. pounds and should've been 80 ft. lbs. The dealer said that's the factory's fault.

I've got an 2008AE myself with OES sliders. I've got back to ensure the bolts have remained tight twice over the last 3000 miles, and they were fine.

Just some reassurance.

Thanks for the tip on the OES sliders, I just ordered a set for my new bike , better safe than sorry. I've only dropped a bike once , but tupperware is more expensive so....

My thoughts exactly.......fortunately I haven't had to test them yet. But everytime I ride I have to go on 3-4 miles gravel/sand/washboard just to get to pavement. Been riding that road for 5 years. No problems....yet. Not to say there haven't been moments, but so far so good.

400 miles since installation and the torque is holding....yes.

I laid Zoe down in the garage first... then put OES sliders on her. Luckily the ever so slight scratch on the edge of her fairing is virtually invisible after a little waxing. I got lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Current theory is that steering stem nut being loose isn't so much improper torque at the factory, but torque on improperly seated steering bearings. The bearing races settle in with miles, and the nut is "loose" as a result.