Of break-in's and oil changes: ramblings of a newbie

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TangiMan

Reaction score
This is my first post after the mandatory intro. Thanks for all the good info on this site, which helped me make my decision to get my FJR. I picked 'er up this morning from a dealership about 60 miles away. I’ll save the dealership experience for another topic; but suffice it say it was quite interesting!

The bike is everything I thought it would be. Since it had virtually no miles on it, I did a modified MotoMan break in; ran it pretty hard on the Interstate home, and varied the RPM a lot. Didn't go over redline, and didn't sustain anything over about 4500 more than 5-10 seconds. I did become pretty familiar with that 3rd gear 70-100… the great rush! Good thing traffic was moving at about 85 mph the whole way; I didn’t stand out that much and it was actually pretty safe. I just hope I did more good than harm to the bike with all those shenanigans; sure, it was fun; but I’m not used to running a new machine like that. I agree with Moto when he said it felt "against the grain."

Questions/Comments:

• Should I wait until 600 miles to do the first motor & diff. oil change? I imagine I have quite a few metallic specks floating around the crankcase after that ride home.

• I have a “jingling” noise coming from the front end or fork over bumps at lower speeds. It ain’t the ignition key, and it’s not horrible; but it sounds like something’s loose. Anybody else have any rattles or “jingles” from up there over bumps? There's not a bit of wiggle I can detect in the suspension or ride, so I wasn't too concerned.

• After searching the forum and finding info on operating temperature, I think mine was OK. I did find it strange, though, that it took 35 or 40 miles for the bike to eventually get to its peak temperature, which was 4 or 5 bars (I can’t remember which). Outside temp was about 75. (Glamorous day for riding!)

• It was pretty stinky (burning odor, maybe with just a hint of antifreeze?) when I stopped once after about 8 miles to call my wife, whom I had managed to lose at the traffic light back at the onramp. I’m assuming this is normal, too, as it didn’t seem quite as bad when I got home about 50 miles later; and the coolant level was fine.

• I did find the throttle spring as stiff as I've read about. Is there a fix or dealer campaign to remedy this?

Thanks in advance….

TangiMan

Hey TangiMan,

First off, congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum. I run an '05 that I've been incredibly happy with for the last 3 years. Your first bit of reading should be: Accumulated Specifications, Details, and Tips for the Yamaha FJR 1300 '06-'07 (Generation II) located here:

https://docs.google.com/View?docid=df3z7t3r_20grtc5j

which should include what to look for on a new bike - big stuff like thredlocking your saddlebag bolts so the bags don't fly off after 1K miles, clipping a cable tie that tightens your ignition wires so much that they fail and WILL leave you stranded, plus other stuff the dealers are notorious for missing during set-up.

Questions/Comments:• Should I wait until 600 miles to do the first motor & diff. oil change? I imagine I have quite a few metallic specks floating around the crankcase after that ride home.

Haven't had to consider this except for entertainment purposes for the last 3 years. Short answer is, "Everybody has an opinion" - several of which are located here: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...&hl=motoman

BTW, anything having to do with oil - JESTAL is considered omniscient, ignore his advice at your motor's peril.

• I have a “jingling” noise coming from the front end or fork over bumps at lower speeds. It ain’t the ignition key, and it’s not horrible; but it sounds like something’s loose. Anybody else have any rattles or “jingles” from up there over bumps? There's not a bit of wiggle I can detect in the suspension or ride, so I wasn't too concerned.

Couple of people have reported loose front brakes (calipers?, can't recall) from the factory on the Gen 2s - definitely worth a look. If that isn't it, I seem to recall the front fenders weren't tightened on some as well. Hopefully the first link (AKA the bin-o-facts) can clarify.

• After searching the forum and finding info on operating temperature, I think mine was OK. I did find it strange, though, that it took 35 or 40 miles for the bike to eventually get to its peak temperature, which was 4 or 5 bars (I can’t remember which). Outside temp was about 75. (Glamorous day for riding!)

Huh. At those ambient temps, my bike is up to operating temps within 3-5 minutes. Then, depending on traffic conditions, I may or may not add another bar within another 5-10 minutes.

• It was pretty stinky (burning odor, maybe with just a hint of antifreeze?) when I stopped once after about 8 miles to call my wife, whom I had managed to lose at the traffic light back at the onramp. I’m assuming this is normal, too, as it didn’t seem quite as bad when I got home about 50 miles later; and the coolant level was fine.

No clue on this one. The forum search function is your friend.

• I did find the throttle spring as stiff as I've read about. Is there a fix or dealer campaign to remedy this?

Discussed here: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=27993
Hope that helps. Have fun,

RsvlFeej

Can't address all your questions, but here's my input on the few I can help you with.

Oil Change - general concensus is to change the oil and filter within the first 200 miles tops. Not an absolute requirement, but more a piece of mind thing.

The smell is most likely some of the anti corrosion coating that they put on the engine externals. Same as what you get on a new car. Should not be an issue and will not be noticed after a couple hundred miles.

Yes, there is a fix for the throttle spring. You can go about it 2 ways from what I understand. 1) unwind the spring one turn, 2) get a modified throttle tube.

Check out this link for information and feedback. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=27993

Congrats on the new bike!!

The jingling is pretty common. Mine has done this since 2002!!

The consensus seems to be the fork springs are rubbing against the fork tubes. I would not worry about it...however just to be safe...check the bolts on the front end anyway. Maybe something is loose, such as the calipers.

I would vote YES on the oil change right away. Then don't worry about it until 600-800 miles. Also, order the rear diff bottom drain plug from the dealer and install this as your engine oil drain plug. It has a strong magnet built in to catch all the gunk. I use this AND the Scotts' oil filter which has an internal magnet. They both are always covered in metallic funk at oil changes.

Again congrats and welcome!

There's one in every crowd. Touche, KM --> I left myself wide open for that one. I was just testing you!

And thanks to all for the timely and helpful info. I'll be digging deeper into the board each day.

Happy motoring!

TM

Last edited by a moderator:
I did mine both at 50 miles, then again at 150 - did the normal 600 miles service and after that, crankcase oil every 3000 miles or so and everything else by the book. I still get sparklies after 20000 miles

welcome to the FJR

Thanks in advance….

Jingling noise. Be sure you document it to the dealer.

I had something like this also from the start. For me it was only noticeable at slow speeds and especially over gravel, say in a parking lot. It very slowly got worse; took it to the dealer, said it was 'defective floating rivets connecting the brake rotor to the wheel' on one side; replaced under warranty.

I had ridden mine for umpteen thousands of miles with no adverse handling impact, but be prepped that when you take it in and the shop diagnoses it as a defective brake related problem the dealer wouldn't let it out of the shop until repaired (defective brake / road safety / liability issue).

Throttle spring. $12 buys you a "Cramp Buster," plastic paddle slips over the throttle grip. Sounds strange maybe, but it works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again for the kudos, folks.

Anybody squirt diesel or solvent down the diff. to flush it out before adding the new fluid? Sounds like a good idea to me to get rid of the speckies before refilling it (I'm going to have to get that magnet.)

TM

I had the same jingling noise on mine as well. I took it into the dealer , complained of the moisture weepage in the left turn signal lense, and a jingling noise in the front end. They found one of the turn signal lenses loose. They had to order a new one. After install the noise was a whole lot less. Unfortunately I haven’t had a lot of time to ride due to the lousy weather.

Took the bike in for the ECU factory swap out and took the bike the bike for a short ride. To cold and all bundled up, couldn’t hear a thing at high speeds though.

Good luck with the jingle noise.

Come on guys! tis the season. Its probably St Nick stuck somewhere on his bike :p

Slackers.

Congrats on the new ride tangi and, welcome aboard

:jester: