Off road playing in the dirt...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure how we went from a dirt bike thread to:

You could carry quite a lot with this rack

[img=[URL="https://slicktiger.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/epic-cleavage-life-time-censors-woman-sexy-breast-smile-demotivational-poster-1238519513.png?w=608&h=660%5D"]https://slicktiger.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/epic-cleavage-life-time-censors-woman-sexy-breast-smile-demotivational-poster-1238519513.png?w=608&h=660][/URL]
But I like it!
yeah, seems like those are more appropriate for a motorboating thread....

I'm finishing up year 2 of my dual sporting. I have a DRZ - a 2005 "SM" model that now has a set of "S" wheels (21" / 18") on it. The bike sat for a long time before I revived it. I wouldn't say it does everything perfect, but it is one flexible platform that is willing to do just about anything. The SM gearing is great for bombing around town or gravel roads and two tracks; I have S gearing on it with the off road wheels and it's decent in tighter trails.

Fuel injection would be nice (less impact of elevation on output), but I see plenty of DRZ's on Youtube running around Colorado.

At this point, there isn't anything the DRZ lacks enough of to drive me to replace it. And what are the options? KTM500 EXC or 690R or the 701 Husky, KLR, DR650 or down to a WR250R or CRF250. The DRZ400 just seems to slot right in a sweet spot for me.

wr

At this point, there isn't anything the DRZ lacks enough of to drive me to replace it. And what are the options? KTM500 EXC or 690R or the 701 Husky, KLR, DR650 or down to a WR250R or CRF250. The DRZ400 just seems to slot right in a sweet spot for me.
2017 Beta 4-strokes are all street legal. And fuel injected.

wr
Reached my limit today already, so... "like" this ^^^

If I had the money my accountant friend from MA does, I'd have an LC4 KTM too. The EXC's are truly an enduro race bike with a street legal title and require a lot more frequent upkeep. Plus, all of the orange bikes being cult bikes these days, their sale prices are tough pills to swallow, even used.

Only way going smaller would make sense is if you intend to trailer all the time. Which, depending on where you live, may not be a bad plan. Living in southern NH I can be on dirt roads within 20 minutes from my house, so a real dual sport is what I'd like. I'm leaning towards a DRZ someday, but a DR or XR 650 would be nice just for the added grunt in the slow going, which is mostly what I do (go slow)
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
How come everyone who doesn't own a KTM tries to convince everyone else that KTMs require more maintenence than any other bike. Being a ACTUAL KTM owner, I can assure you they do not. However, as good as a DRZ or Yamaha 450 is, one ride on a 530, or a two-stroke 300XCW will create envy. Sorry.

Case in point: my buddy with the '07 Yamaha WR450 bought a 300XCW. Now he won't shut up about how much better his ride is. I'm not huge on jumping on bandwagons, but KTMs are simply amazing.

If the money tree in the back yard would hurry the heck up, I'd have a 690 Enduro R in the garage. No question in my mind that the KTM label brings a top shelf piece of equipment to the table. Maybe some day... Until then, the DRZ that's in the garage is the perfect all-rounder for me right now. What reinforces that is only having spent $100 on it...

How come everyone who doesn't own a KTM tries to convince everyone else that KTMs require more maintenence than any other bike. Being a ACTUAL KTM owner, I can assure you they do not. However, as good as a DRZ or Yamaha 450 is, one ride on a 530, or a two-stroke 300XCW will create envy. Sorry.

Case in point: my buddy with the '07 Yamaha WR450 bought a 300XCW. Now he won't shut up about how much better his ride is. I'm not huge on jumping on bandwagons, but KTMs are simply amazing.

Having owned 3 KTMs the past 12 years, still own the RFS and Husaberg, the high upkeep statement is not without merit. For that reason I couldn't bring myself to consider a KTM streetbike. Anything KTM is going to cost much more to keep running than an FJR.

However off-road a KTM will cost no more than anything else, maybe less. Not the 690 but most everything else is built out of the same parts bin much like a Harley-Davidson. Wheels, brakes, suspension, controls, etc are mostly interchangeable. Plus there is a good supply of nearly new bikes parted because they are worth more diassembled for parts than whole. This supply of good used parts increases the value of used bikes.

Directly from the owners manuals (KTM owners manuals can be downloaded from here)

KTM 500 EXC

Full Oil service (includes many filters, etc.) every 10 to 15 hours.

Valve checks every 30 hours.

Engine rebuild (replace all bearings) at 150 hours, (70 hours if raced)

KTM 690 Enduro (LC4)

Full Oil Service at 10k km (6200 mi.)

Valve checks at 10k km (6200 mi)

No recommendation for engine rebuild

Suzuki DRZ 400

Oil Changes at 6k km, filter changes at 18k km (11k mi.)

Valve checks at 24k km (14.5k mi.)

(Converting hours to miles: A dual sport bike will average only about 30 to 40 miles per hour in use. So 15 hours is about 525 miles and 30 hours is about 1,050 miles. KTM expects the EXC rebuilds after only a little more than 5k miles of casual use, or only 2500 miles of racing. Obviously people often do much better than that, but 10k miles between engine rebuilds is not uncommon. The LC4 is much more robust than the smaller bikes.)

The beloved KTM RFS engine manual specifies rebuild replacing all bearings at 90 hours trailriding or 45 hours racing. However many go 400+ hours.

KTM publishes race use schedule.

Riders are getting serious miles with no rebuilds.

I guess we'll see.

Parts are a little pricey, going to switch to cheaper oil like Rotella.

Yeah, I think we all get that the KTM published schedule is overkill. I mean, how many of us follow the Yamaha service schedule to a tee on our FJRs (once they are out of warranty).

The point here is that while all manufacturers specify a stringent schedule, the KTM RFS schedule is particularly demanding. You can always choose to ignore the manufacturer's recommendations on any bike and then you can have up to zero maintenance. (good luck with that)

The question was asked as to why people felt the KTMs require more maintenance (particularly the small displacement ones). I just showed the answer. It's because the manufacturer says they do.

I really don't have any off road experience so whatever I get I will be taking it easy at first.
This statement does not equate to a Euro enduro.

Riding a slow bike fast is more fun than riding a fast bike slow.

Yeah, I think we all get that the KTM published schedule is overkill. I mean, how many of us follow the Yamaha service schedule to a tee on our FJRs (once they are out of warranty).
The point here is that while all manufacturers specify a stringent schedule, the KTM RFS schedule is particularly demanding. You can always choose to ignore the manufacturer's recommendations on any bike and then you can have up to zero maintenance. (good luck with that)

The question was asked as to why people felt the KTMs require more maintenance (particularly the small displacement ones). I just showed the answer. It's because the manufacturer says they do.
There are lots of people out there wasting lots of money on unnecessary maintenance.

I have owned 3 KTMs (racing one in my avatar) and will say its not the things inside the engine which bite but all the little things outside which need constant attention. The very things Yamaha gets so right with the FJR.

Directly from the owners manuals (KTM owners manuals can be downloaded from here)
KTM 500 EXC

Full Oil service (includes many filters, etc.) every 10 to 15 hours.

Valve checks every 30 hours.

Engine rebuild (replace all bearings) at 150 hours, (70 hours if raced)

KTM 690 Enduro (LC4)

Full Oil Service at 10k km (6200 mi.)

Valve checks at 10k km (6200 mi)

Suzuki DRZ 400

Oil Changes at 6k km, filter changes at 18k km (11k mi.)

Valve checks at 24k km (14.5k mi.)

(Converting hours to miles: A dual sport bike will average only about 30 to 40 miles per hour in use. So 15 hours is about 525 miles and 30 hours is about 1,050 miles. KTM expects the EXC rebuilds after only a little more than 5k miles of casual use, or only 2500 miles of racing. Obviously people often do much better than that, but 10k miles between engine rebuilds is not uncommon. The LC4 is much more robust than the smaller bikes.)
I was lusting after a KTM 500 EXC when I bought my XR650L last year. The EXC is an amazing bike but the Honda service schedule just fit me better when it came to routine maintenance. The other added plus is I'm much less likely to hurt myself on the nice slow Honda 650.
smile.png

I really don't have any off road experience so whatever I get I will be taking it easy at first.
This statement does not equate to a Euro enduro.

Riding a slow bike fast is more fun than riding a fast bike slow.
I've heard this before as related to riding on the road, but can't get my head around how it would translate to the off road. It seems to me that one would always enjoy riding the more capable bike off-road, regardless of how capable the rider is, the better bike will make the ride better.