Oil filter thread..... er part numbers, not which is best.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if the current one is the one ending in 60, not 50 like I have then technically I don't have the correct one, but I'm guessing it will work since my motor hasn't cratered. Thanks for the replies, especially the auto filter part numbers. I may just go that route next time to get some additional oil capacity.

Well, if the current one is the one ending in 60, not 50 like I have then technically I don't have the correct one, but I'm guessing it will work since my motor hasn't cratered. Thanks for the replies, especially the auto filter part numbers. I may just go that route next time to get some additional oil capacity.
If you think you might be going "the auto filter route", fer crise sake save yerself some grief and click the link in post #16 above. You will not believe just how much bullshit you won't have to read about anymore if you just click the link in post #16 above. No kidding. For real. DO IT!!!!!!!!

That's post #16. Post numbers are in the top right hand corner of each post directly across from the poster's name. Look for "#16". You will be so glad you did. And so will your wallet after you realize you haven't leaked your new oil all over your driveway/garage/workshop floor.

ETA: one other thing.... what's the concern about the "additional oil capacity"? Been reading some filter mfr's "recommendations" of filter replacement interval? I call BS! Read your owner's manual, Yamaha says it's necessary to replace the filter every other oil change. No shit, read the instructions. You don't need no stickin' "additional capacity", you just need the cheapest filter you're happy with and replace it each time you replace the oil.*

* usual disclaimer: I'm quoting the maintenance interval from my '07. YMMV so RTFM.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last two digits in the Yamaha part number scheme is the revision. In many cases the parts are revised for the convenience of Yamaha, like a change in supplier, etc. that is the most likely case for these oil filters, as Yamaha uses the same filter in almost all of its power sports line.

I did click on the link in #16 and read about the leakage. Thank you. As for added capacity, it can help the oil run cooler which may be an added bonus in the hot Texas clime. Or maybe not....

It's not just a change in part number, but a change in the filter also. The one that I got, ending in 50, is smaller in length than the previous one. Doesn't mean that isn't what Yamaha intended.