Oil near the Tranmission Input

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karnal

Reaction score
I was looking over my FJR (2011, 14k miles) and I'm seeing what looks like oil near the transmission input shaft. Not a lot, but enough to know something's not quite right. Anyone else have this issue? I'm seeing some collect on the shifter closer to the engine, as well as around the transmission side of the shaft drive.

https://goo.gl/photos/BAkASjdPCR8LGrxG6

Only 14K miles in 6 years. It's a fairly reasonable

assumption that the bike has not seen any

maintenance other than perhaps an oil change.

I'm surprised it holds any fluids in check.

That would be the transmission OUTPUT shaft. The input shaft is buried inside the motor, and has lots of oil around it. IIRC, the o-ring that goes around the output shaft pinion housing (that area in your photo) has a history of seeping; unfortunately it's a big job to replace it, as in "gotta move the motor forward by releasing it from the motor mounts" big job. As others have mentioned, take off the footpeg stay (grease the shifter linkage while you're in there), and clean the area thoroughly.

If it were me, I'd leave it alone because the oil leak is not significant.

Only 14K miles in 6 years. It's a fairly reasonableassumption that the bike has not seen any

maintenance other than perhaps an oil change.

I'm surprised it holds any fluids in check.
I've put 10k of those on in the last 3 years, so I'm trying to keep her rolling nicely. Bought it 2013 with 4k miles on it :) I'm going to do a maintenance weekend on it soon and will see if I can determine the source. If that o-ring is that hard to get to, I'll just keep it clean for now and keep an eye on it.

I don't see any oil leakage. I see dirt. And I see some grease that has migrated from the shifter pivot. You need to pull the whole footpeg mount off to get at the output shaft and shifter pivot. Should be done regularly to keep it shifting well anyway.

That would be the transmission OUTPUT shaft. The input shaft is buried inside the motor, and has lots of oil around it. IIRC, the o-ring that goes around the output shaft pinion housing (that area in your photo) has a history of seeping; unfortunately it's a big job to replace it, as in "gotta move the motor forward by releasing it from the motor mounts" big job. As others have mentioned, take off the footpeg stay (grease the shifter linkage while you're in there), and clean the area thoroughly.
If it were me, I'd leave it alone because the oil leak is not significant.
My old 04 developed the same leak and was that internal o-ring.

As posted, I pulled my foot peg assembly and narrowed it down to that seal...

I didn't screw with it...

My 60K '05 looks just like the OP's bike.... on mine, it's from the grease I applied to shifter pivot and the shifter rod-ends.

Call it "grease-creep" for lack of a better term and it collects dirt/grim down there. A quick swipe of a rag and it'll be gone.

Mr. BR