Oil Pump

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meosborn

Reaction score
I seem to recall that one of the things that Yamaha upgraded for 2004 was the oil pump. I heard that there was a problem during sustained high speeds. Can anyone confirm that?

First I've ever heard on it. Beaucup beat on 03's out there with oiling systems doin' just fine, thank you.

I concur. Never heard of this. I can't think of any engine changes over the years except for valve seals.

I concur. Never heard of this. I can't think of any engine changes over the years except for valve seals.
Makes you wonder about the changes in the 06 motor when you read about the recommendations for installing the PC111. They are pretty adamant about using the map specifically designed for the 06 stating the older map are is unsuitable. Must be emissions related.

There seems to be no changes in the motor mechanically from year to year though.

However I have not dug deeply into this aspect of the bike and i am sure there are those out there that can fill us in on the changes that have occured other than improved quality control on valve train parts that we hope continues to this day!

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I have an '03 and have never had any problems. I just recently saw an oil pump for sale and thought it might be worth upgrading if there really was an upgrade after the '03 model.

Last edited by a moderator:
The oil pump on the 06 is stronger and more powerful than the pre years. The 06 will send oil through your wiring harness :eek:

:p

Makes you wonder about the changes in the 06 motor when you read about the recommendations for installing the PC111. They are pretty adamant about using the map specifically designed for the 06 stating the older map are is unsuitable. Must be emissions related.

There seems to be no changes in the motor mechanically from year to year though.

However I have not dug deeply into this aspect of the bike and i am sure there are those out there that can fill us in on the changes that have occured other than improved quality control on valve train parts that we hope continues to this day!

From what I have heard and read here the 06 has a returnless fuel system. Where the 03-05 fuel rail had the pressure regulator on the rail with a fuel return line to the tank the 06 would not have the fuel return line and the fuel pressure is dead headed at the rail. This changes the fuel injector injection characteristics and would be one reason that a fuel map for an earlier engine would not necessarily be correct for an 06. Being that the fuel injection system is a speed density system any changes to the inlet system or exhaust would also affect the fuel map from year to year so any induction or air cleaner/airbox changes to the 06 would make that fuel map unique.

I read somewhere that the oil pump was changed in an earlier model. I think riders on autobahn type roads in Europe were running their FJR's at high rpm's for extended periods. They discovered that the oil pump output wasn't optimal for these conditions. They made some undocumented change to the pump.

Thank you Constant Mesh! I was beginning to think that I was insane. It's entirely possible that we both read the same bad info but at least I wasn't imagining it.

Latest posts