OK Midwesterners--Who Rode Today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
30-something yesterday (I didn't look 'cause I didn't want to know, but when I checked at 10:00 it was 39, so it was somewhere south of that) and 40 today.

No big deal. I have a very short commute.

But I thought for sure I'd be the only idiot to ride and - nope! - there's a ST1300, a Suzuki something-or-other and a little scooter all out there.

Still riding everyday. One bike or another. Wife gets pissed when I try and sneak the kids to school on it in the morning. She says its to cold. I say it builds character! :D

I'm still commuting on mine nearly ever day, but I can't claim any toughness yet. The weather here in St. Louis has been ridiculously good. Yesterday morning, I tried my newly installed heated gloves and they were mmmmm...toasty. That, combined with the Olympia AST jacket (that is so bright it can been seen from space), led me to believe that I still have plenty of riding days ahead of me this fall/winter. In fact, I have a business trip to Chicago the third week of November and I'm considering riding.

My cold weather set-up so far:

> V-Stream windshield really keeps cold air off the torso

> Olympia AST jacket - can't say enough good things about it

> Gerbing's heated gloves with dual Heat Troller (might be a heated liner under the Christmas tree)

Hmmm...old thread. Or should it be "cold" thread?

I ride until there is a chance of ice/frost on the road. Still riding now as the ground is still warm enough.

At least 25 miles each way to work. yesterday, 23-25 degrees going in. Sometimes the temperature display gets too much of my attention!

Heated grips, electric fleece vest under a full fleece liner. Aerostich wind triangle. Life is good.

paul from innesota

Just a word of caution for those that ride in the cold around here (Illinois). Make sure you have a back up plan in case your electrics fail. Low 40's/ upper 30's last night and a few miles from home when a fuse popped. It was a little chilly by the time I pulled into the garage. A fuse isn't that hard to replace but if your heated gear should fail make sure you have something to keep you warm. Just a thought. Seeya on the road.

30 degrees at 5:45 ...had to put the liner in my jacket this morning. I didn't see any Harley's out this morning...proly to :cold:

I rode today. 37 degrees both to and from work. Snow on the way home. Heated gear will be on a future Christmas wish list.

Rode in last night and home this morning. A good head wind and you might as well walk on a Ural :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
7:35 PM Central Time October 27,2008 it's SNOWING, It's not going to stick but it's freaking SNOWING. I'm not ready for this. :(

I rode today. 37 degrees both to and from work. Snow on the way home. Heated gear will be on a future Christmas wish list.
My hat's off to you .... real men don't need heated gear. :clapping:

(with that said, me ... not being a real man ... use heated gear religiously)

It's times like these when I'm glad that I have a Gen 1 with "heat issues." ;)

My hat's off to you .... real men don't need heated gear. :clapping:

(with that said, me ... not being a real man ... use heated gear religiously)

I agree with you Murph. Getting home one night with purple hands made a wimp out of me! That and the lecture from the wife about frostbite blah blah blah.

Hmmm...old thread. Or should it be "cold" thread?
I ride until there is a chance of ice/frost on the road. Still riding now as the ground is still warm enough.

At least 25 miles each way to work. yesterday, 23-25 degrees going in. Sometimes the temperature display gets too much of my attention!

Heated grips, electric fleece vest under a full fleece liner. Aerostich wind triangle. Life is good.

paul from innesota
Ice this am on 35E. Not enough to give more than a tar snake thrill, but at 85 mph with cage madness all around. Yee Hahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! 23 degrees.

I agree with you Murph. Getting home one night with purple hands made a wimp out of me! That and the lecture from the wife about frostbite blah blah blah.
Isn't that what they make gloves for?

Ice this am on 35E. Not enough to give more than a tar snake thrill, but at 85 mph with cage madness all around. Yee Hahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! 23 degrees.
That's it...don't let the cold stop ya...did you have gloves on?