Okay, this REALLY sucks!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Laser

Reaction score
Hello, again...

Well, now I actually HAVE to fix something that quit working; to wit:

My right turn signal indicator doesn't work anymore!!!! Yikes!

I have NO desire to pull my front cowling off to (probably) re-seat the bulb,

but I don't know what else it could be.

Hazard lights work (except for the indicator), turn signals actually work (both sides),

horn works, left turn indicator works, low-beam to high-beam to low-beam works,

windshield goes up and down (did I miss anything that needs to be checked?).

Anyone got any easy ways to get to the light bulb on the right turn signal indicator?

Could it maybe be a loose connection in the switch? It doesn't quite have the feel

that the left side has when I turn it on.

Thanks for any help...oh, yeah, 2005 ABS.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, again...
Well, now I actually HAVE to fix something that quit working; to wit:

My right turn signal indicator doesn't work anymore!!!! Yikes!

I have NO desire to pull my front cowling off to (probably) re-seat the bulb,

but I don't know what else it could be.

Hazard lights work (except for the indicator), turn signals actually work (both sides),

horn works, left turn indicator works, low-beam to high-beam to low-beam works,

windshield goes up and down (did I miss anything that needs to be checked?).

Anyone got any easy ways to get to the light bulb on the right turn signal indicator?

Thanks fopr any help...oh, yeah, 2005 ABS.

Jim
Got YES? Less than a year old? Take it to your dealer.

All that needs to removed to get to the bulb is the small triangular plastic piece under the nose by the horn and radiator. The only tool needed is a stubby phillips. Once off, the socket assembly can be easily extracted and the bulb removed where you likely find that it's burned out. Don't go to your dealer, instead go to your local auto parts store and purchase a Sylvania 7443 or equivalent. Reassemble and go ride.

All that needs to removed to get to the bulb is the small triangular plastic piece under the nose by the horn and radiator. The only tool needed is a stubby phillips. Once off, the socket assembly can be easily extracted and the bulb removed where you likely find that it's burned out. Don't go to your dealer, instead go to your local auto parts store and purchase a Sylvania 7443 or equivalent. Reassemble and go ride.
Beat me to it. Piece of cake. Do both sides, bulbs tend to fail in pairs on this platform,if not now,soon.

Beat me to it. Piece of cake. Do both sides, bulbs tend to fail in pairs on this platform,if not now,soon.
Staledonut and Rad,

I took a look under the nose by the horn and radiator, but I really

don't know what I'm looking for or at.

Am I supposed to unscrew the phillips head screws to take the

"inner" cover off for access?

Any other recommendations beside the Sylvania 7443? I'd like to

have a little bit brighter bulb, since I forget to turn it off once in a

while since I can't see it very well in direct sunlight.

Thanks again (I'm still new at this "wrenching" stuff, and only when

I have to).

Jim :trinibob:

mmmm....new to wrenching. I'd start with a 12 pack of cold beer....and afterwards.....yank that there cover off that there fairing and replace that there bulb. Like I tell the kids....it's all in the wrist.

I'd start with a 12 pack of cold beer...

Ya, but then you would finish off another 12 pack of beer. Fall on top of the bike, tip it over. Break the newly installed bulb, have another 12 pack, pass out and forget to change the signal light for the next three months. At which point would require another 12 pack......

Staledonut and Rad,

I took a look under the nose by the horn and radiator, but I really

don't know what I'm looking for or at.

Am I supposed to unscrew the phillips head screws to take the

"inner" cover off for access?

Any other recommendations beside the Sylvania 7443? I'd like to

have a little bit brighter bulb, since I forget to turn it off once in a

Thanks again (I'm still new at this "wrenching" stuff, and only when

I have to).

Jim :trinibob:
Yes. Inner cover, couple of screws, couple of Phillips head plastic rivit type fastners. Socket is unique to 7443 type and size, find another reminder.

[Any other recommendations beside the Sylvania 7443? I'd like tohave a little bit brighter bulb, since I forget to turn it off once in a

Hmmm, I'm confused. You really can't see the directional light itself while riding. The light you see is the indicator in your dash that lets you know your directional is on. Changing to a brighter directional won't help with that.

6519-22.jpg

Hmmm, I'm confused. You really can't see the directional light itself while riding. The light you see is the indicator in your dash that lets you know your directional is on. Changing to a brighter directional won't help with that.
Geezer,

I AM referring to the directional indicator in the dash...the turn

signals themselves work fine, but the right directional

indicator in the dash is what's out.

Jim

Geezer,

I AM referring to the directional indicator in the dash...the turn

signals themselves work fine, but the right directional

indicator in the dash is what's out.

Jim
Doh. I was feeding offa stales reply, rather than concentrating on the complaint post. The dash is coming out. If you're not a wrencher, dealer time.

find another reminder.
Ummm, Rad, I 've been trying to understand

what this means. Can you enlighten me?

Jim
I think he meant a 7443 is as good as it's gonna get with that socket, so you need to find another means of reminding yourself, cause a brighter blinking light isn't in the cards...

Doh. I was feeding offa stales reply, rather than concentrating on the complaint post. The dash is coming out. If you're not a wrencher, dealer time.
Rad,

Ya got my hopes all up that this was an easy, simple bulb change, and now

I find that I have to take all this freakin' tupperware off in the first place?

Just to get to a blankety-blank LIGHT BULB?

AAAAGGGGGHHH!!!!

Way to go, mamayamaha!!

Jim

I think he meant a 7443 is as good as it's gonna get with that socket, so you need to find another means of reminding yourself, cause a brighter blinking light isn't in the cards...
Groo,

Thanks...that makes sense. One can only hope.

Oh, well...

Jim