Oldest Daughter and Guns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotRodZilla

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Reaction score
Many of you know that I'm into guns. Been hunting and shooting since I was a kid. Never knew how to use a handgun until I went to my academy, and picked it up easily. Became a firearms instructor in 2000, and have taught hundreds of cops in 5 states how to shoot. Started shooting competition in 2006 and realized how poor of a shooter I really am. However, my skills have improved greatly.

My 12 year old has loved guns since she could walk. I gave her a .22 I won when she was around 4. She has been out with me a few times and is VERY proficient with a rifle. She embarrassed some guys we were shooting with when she started pounding targets at 400 yards with my tactical .308.

A couple years ago, I won a Glock in a match that I was going to use as a Production Gun in the USPSA matches I shoot. Production is a classification ruled by 9mm pistols. I ended up selling that Glock and picked up a 9mm Springfield XD that had the trigger worked by a guy named Scott Springer. He's a very talented gunsmith and this XD has a beautiful trigger.

My oldest has shot some handgun stuff, but her hands are small. During spring break, we hosted a kids camp that included a trip to our MILO machine. It is a big interactive video game that includes guns that function with air pressure. The kids were shooting a simple plate rack, and she cleaned them quickly with very little input from me. So, I decided she should come shoot a match with me.

I went over some basic stuff with her. Moving with finger indexed, proper reloads and proper draws. I forgot to go over malfunctuons because I didn't expect her to have any. She went with me on the 4th and shot local match with me. Her first ever. Her accuracy was excellent, and she has good fundamentals. We need to work on a lot of things, but I was impressed.

These are videos of three out of the 4 stages we shot that day:

Kid makes me proud. We're going again tomorrow. Hope to get 4 new ones. Haha...

She is badass, proud papa I see!! I can't 'like' this enough.

Inspiring me to go to the range this weekend. :)

Good times!

Never made a secret out of firearms whenmy 2 daughters were younger. After going to a range, I'd be at the table cleaning something and let them look at what I was doing while explaining what each part was when they asked. I always took the time to squeeze a little safety info in to each talk.

Took them with me to the range all the time once they got a little older. We started them out on a single shot .22 rifle that my Dad taught my brother and I on when were were little. Always with the safety talks first.

As they got older, they found they really liked to shoot my M1 Garand and were pretty good with it. Ear-to-ear grins were the uniform of the day.

One little trick I did was, toward the end of each cleaning session, with the pistol reassembled and known clear, I'd challenge then to try and rack the slide back. When the first one could do it, I bought my first gun safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
This week we worked on malfunction clearance. Haha. We worked on press-checks, and we worked on her doing her reloads up by her face, instead of looking down. Worked on draws and maintaining firing grip. We'll see how she does tomorrow. I was super impressed that when she had that failure to fire, she didn't yank the trigger and she didn't anticipate recoil. That's hard to teach, and she just does it.

Right after the match, we have to haul ass so I can get her to her softball game. The 7 year old has her first soccer game of the season and they're all asking about taking the bike out. The 7 year old now fits into her older sisters jacket, and the older one has been jonesing to go ever since the jackets from VanHarlan showed up. The 6 year old is just chillin' being cute. She's almost big enough to take on long rides. She can't wait!

IMG_20130705_120314_375.jpg

It's gonna be a busy summer, and their hobbies are gonna break me. Lol...

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally cool to see her getting into comps at that age... Nice work

Is that the XD she is running there ?

Shooting with family is a lot of fun, and it looks like they enjoy it! It is a skill that a lot of people think they have, but may not have the right safety practices in place, good on you on teaching your kids right. Well done sir, well done. Makes you proud when your kid out shoots some 'real shooters' on the range! I love watching their reactions and excuses.

Whoa. Freaking coolio to the max. Imagine when she's older.. riding motobikes, shooting guns, totally self-assured and not afraid of the world. Too cool to express in words. Great job, Dad!

Daughters are precious, mine shot a while, ruger gp100s, speed loaders, plates. One thing about those of us with proficient girls and firearms is we get to watch the reactions of the males in attendance. Sent them to Massad Ayoobs Lethal force academy class. Than they got into horses, that will break your bank.

AJ I was really impressed with your daughters shooting abilities.

Terri mentioned she would like to have a permit to carry. I am thinking of buying her a small 38 pistol and both of us taking the course required for the permit to carry. I let my PTC lapse and haven't done any shooting for almost twenty years. Will join the local gun club when we get back to Salem.

You are SOOOO lucky! I am very much into shooting myself and shooting about 5000 rounds a year. My son just came to visit and getting him to take time and go shoot was like scheduling a dental appointment. One we were there, him and his Lady seemed to have a good time. I tried to give him his first pistol a couple of years ago and I got a "No thanks". It's heartbreaking for me. I wanted to teach him how to fly once upon a time and that didn't work either.

Keep up the good work!

Jeff