one vibrating mirror?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric L

Not that kind of a doctor
Reaction score
Someone obviously has answered this somewhere already, but searching does me no good. On my 2014, the left hand mirror is clearly vibrating. I popped the panel, torqued down the bolts, but that didn't help at all.

Has anyone actually had a mirror that had to be replaced for this sort of thing?

Someone obviously has answered this somewhere already, but searching does me no good. On my 2014, the left hand mirror is clearly vibrating. I popped the panel, torqued down the bolts, but that didn't help at all.
Has anyone actually had a mirror that had to be replaced for this sort of thing?
How bad is the vibration? On my 2013, I've noticed that things are a bit fuzzy in the mirrors when I'm on the road - not to the point of the mirrors being useless though.

If it is just one mirror exhibiting this then it is probably associated with that mirrors hardware.

yeah its only the left - obviously vibrating, but not ridiculous.. As I have tightened up the bolts to no effect, I was thinking of taking it to the doctor.

Does the vib mirror adjust much easier than the other?
That is my situation with my left mirror. I (actually a crow) broke the glass out of it and I had a piece of convex mirror stock cut to replace it. While it was out, I thought it would be a good idea to clean and lubricate the pivot. Big mistake - Either the lube was a bad idea or I didn't get it tightened up properly before installing the glass. In any case, mine vibrates at most RPM ranges and short of destructive removal of the glass, I don't think you can get at the guts to snug it up again.

Never had a scooter that didn't have one mirror that fuzzed up more than the other. Have dealt with it. Usually small cuts of rubber between the shroud and morror would help. Experiment with density of rubber.

Never had a scooter that didn't have one mirror that fuzzed up more than the other. Have dealt with it. Usually small cuts of rubber between the shroud and morror would help. Experiment with density of rubber.
Now that is an idea that could take this thread off topic on a Friday.

Maybe stuff the now lubricated socket with lambs wool?

I wonder if one of the screws holding the front plastic to the front cowling support frame might not be loose causing the mirror to vibrate even thought it is tight to the cowling. Having recently removed all the plastic off my '07 to install an Audiovox CC and a headlight modulator, I can tell you that finding all the attachment points is not easy and removing/replacing screws requires a flashlight, stubby or right angle screw drivers or small ratchets with screw driver bits and will result in scraped knuckles, screws that drop into and have to be fished out of the bike interior, etc.. Take pictures of where you remove things or don't wait long before you re-install things or you will forget. I waited several weeks and ended up with a screw left over which drove me nuts until I found where it went!

I guess we have something else to add to the Gen III Bin-'o-Facts and the model year matrix. In '06 with the first Gen II it was the right mirror that vibrated. Yamaha moved this feature to the left side for the Gen III.

On the very first Gen II they found some of the mirrors had the rubber between the mirror and the base mount upside down. Some mirrors had a weak pivot inside the mirror arm. Some people added more rubber under the mirror base but it didn't help. Nobody complained about vibration after changing to FZ1 mirrors
wink.png
It was generally agreed that a small number of FJRs had buzzy mirrors and the dealers couldn't find or fix the reason. I guess we could take a lesson from the handlebar weights and wrap an ankle weight around the arm of the mirror.

Most of the attempted fixes addressed the site of the symptom, the mirror. Someone may want to take a look at the root of the issue (so to speak) and see whazzup with the (metal) front stay the mirror bolts into.

Last edited by a moderator:
You say you pulled it apart and lubed the pivot. Did you get all the washers stacked up as they should be as they only stack in a specific manner because they are concave?

You say you pulled it apart and lubed the pivot. Did you get all the washers stacked up as they should be as they only stack in a specific manner because they are concave?
Not sure if you were responding to my post...

With the glass out, you can get to the pivot point for the frame for the mirror. I understand that the pivot that allows the mirror to fold does require a specific assembly order.

Hi guys

Also have the same issue on my 14 with the LH mirror vibrating just enough to annoy the crap out of me. i have not done anything at this stage apart from tighten the nut slightly at the pivot point to no avail. Thought of possibly just replacing it depending on price of course.

Gazza

Hi guys
Also have the same issue on my 14 with the LH mirror vibrating just enough to annoy the crap out of me. i have not done anything at this stage apart from tighten the nut slightly at the pivot point to no avail. Thought of possibly just replacing it depending on price of course.

Gazza
Have you knocked the mirror? Dropping the bike will likely break the mirror carrier frame on a Gen 3 since they use a cast frame. Leaves the mirror supported on the plastic, hence the vibration.

Pull the panels behind the mirror. You need to do this to check the mirror mounting nuts anyway, they could have loosened from when the dealer assembled the new bike. You can then check the frame for damage.

Link to getting the panels off here.

Hi guys

Had a look at the mirror again yesterday and it is definately looser at the pivot point than the RH one and may have been knocked at some stage. Things are pretty tight in my shed. Will advise if i replace.

gazza

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a gen ll and one mirror had vibration. Drove me nuts. Tried several different things and finally decided I would live with it.

After dropping the bike one day, bending the stay (aluminum frame behind front fairing) and messing up the left mirror; I decided while replacing that, it would be a good time to try the FZ mirrors. Man! What a difference! I wouldn't go back. Clear, and the view is so much better.

I know, they don't look as good. Well, honestly I thought the same thing but after having them for a while, I like the looks of them better than the original. You won't regret the change.