Opinions please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoot

Reaction score
I'd like to solicit some opinions here if I may. The engine in my '95 GPZ1100 has bad rod bearing(s). I was going to make an effort to get in there and fix it, but I found a wrecked GPZ for sale in California for $1000. I called the guy and he actually cut that price in half for me without me even asking. I guess he really wanted rid of it. So, we struck a deal and I found a reasonably priced shipper and got that all set up. Then the shipper began trying to contact the seller to arrange a pick up time, but could never get ahold of him. He just wouldn't answer his cell phone. I tried calling him several times and left several messages as well as several emails, but he would not answer. This went on for about 4 days. Finally, the shipper emailed me and said that he finally got him to answer his phone on Sunday afternoon, and the seller told him he'd call him back on Monday to arrange a time. Monday came and went but no phone call. I got a little upset and sent the seller an email asking him why he is being difficult to contact and why he is not responding to messages. This "silence" treatment all began after I overnighted him a check, so I mentioned in my email that this leads to suspicion which I don't want to have. Later that day, he emails me back saying that his nephew had been sick and he had to go out of town. His laptop was having problems and he was out of his cell phone calling range. Then he says that while he understands my being upset, he doesn't like the "tone" of my email. Then goes on to say that he feels this whole transaction is tainted with bad blood and feelings, so he does not wish to continue with the transaction. He said that he had "received some kind of notice" from the post office about a delivery and that right now my check is on the way back to me. Well, I sent him another email apologizing for my hasty reaction and wished to continue the transaction if he would allow it. That was two days ago and he hasn't even responded to that email. I called his local post office about my check and it was just sitting there in their office. It did not require a signiture, so the seller had to have declined receipt and sent it back. So, anyway, it's now "really" on the way back. Sorry for the long post, but in your opinions, is this guy a flake? I know I was wrong to jump to conclusions, but I had just recently gone through a very bad Ebay transaction where the seller took a month and a half to ship an item after she had my money, so I was a little trigger happy. Thanks for any responses.

Flake if not fake. Glad you didn't have to spend $30 to stop payment on the check. Time to move on and start looking for a motor again...

Sorry about the bad break. Doesn't sound to me like you have anything to feel bad about. 'cept that you didn't get the righteous deal that you should have. Bummer.

Well, at first I was thinking the same thing you were, scam. However, since he did not cash your check I would have to assume he simply changed his mind about selling to you. Any or all of the following may apply:

1) He got a better offer

2) Someone convinced him that he will get a better offer

3) He decided to fix his wreck

4) He is a flake

5) Bad karma?????

Sorry you missed out on a great deal for a replacement engine.

Geez. Why is it so hard these days for someone to just honor their word? Did I understand you correctly? Your check is actually on its way back to you? If this is the case, I would just take the money back and call this thing a day. There is something suspicious going on here. My guess, which is just a guess, is that he has gotten a better offer elsewhere and I trying to crawfish on the deal. Pure scam, he would have kept your check. Better deal, well that requires the fabrication of an elaborate set of circumstances that will let him feel justified in backing out of the deal.

My advice? F him and the horse he rode in on. By way are you sure your check is on the way back? If there is any question put a STOP payment on the check just to be safe, worth the couple of bucks.

Part of the problem is that he wasn't raised properly.....meaning the "your word is your bond" adage doesn't apply, which unfortunately can be said about a lot of troubles these days....like "proper manners"....a personal code of "honour" or proper "ethics"....gone by the wayside, as not thought of as being important enough to bother with..... SORRY (rant over....soapbox put away)....glad you didn't lose your money though....that's a least something :rolleyes: ....

Part of the problem is that he wasn't raised properly.....meaning the "your word is your bond" adage doesn't apply, which unfortunately can be said about a lot of troubles these days....like "proper manners"....a personal code of "honour" or proper "ethics"....gone by the wayside, as not thought of as being important enough to bother with..... SORRY (rant over....soapbox put away)....glad you didn't lose your money though....that's a least something :rolleyes: ....
+1 ----- Ethics - Integrity - Hoenesty --- I fear are generally lost concepts among our youth.

An uplifting email site to subscribe too:

https://www.charactercounts.org/knxtoc.htm

Hey Scoot, For this type of transaction I would recommend using an escrow service. You put up the money, seller ships the goods and once you receive the goods you release the funds to the seller. I have used escrow.com a few times and it worked very well. You can do it with credit card also. just my $.02

You didn't do anything wrong with your email, That guy would be shittin his pants if it was his cash up in the air. <_<

-jwilly

It's too bad you couldn't have been dealing with somebody who is a regular or long time member on some of these forums. I have always had good luck buying/selling from fellow members. Personal checks and purchased items often passing each other in the mail.

Hope this continues to be the norm.

B)

It's too bad you couldn't have been dealing with somebody who is a regular or long time member on some of these forums. I have always had good luck buying/selling from fellow members. Personal checks and purchased items often passing each other in the mail.Hope this continues to be the norm. B)
Just had this happen with fork springs I got from Iggy. :D

you should post his phone number so we can all call him and harass the shit out of him.

"hey, do you still have that GPZ for sale???"

Let's see who can get the lowest price.