Oxford Heaterz grips - good service + caution

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Further

Reaction score
So one of the first additions for my new 08 FJR was heated grips. Read good things about the Oxford Heaterz that are sold by White Horse Press and others, so I got a pair. Only $80. Seemed well made. Controller is a little ungainly but offers 4 settings. Great.

Went to put them on 3 weeks ago. I've put grips on other bikes with traditional rubber cement type grip glue, but these guys come with Super Glue, and a caveat to put them on quickly.

OK, got everything prepared. Had to sand down the knurling a little on the G2 throttle tube I'd also installed because the throttle grip wouldn't go on. Got it to the point I could fairly easily slide it on once the glue was applied.

Applied the glue on the clutch side and slid/twisted that grip on, no problem. Got the throttle side ready. Slid it straight on in one motion about 3/4 of the way. Stopped to reposition my hand for the final push ... GRIP FROZE SOLID !!! No amount of twisting would budge it. I freaked !

Sent email to Oxford in England. Took a couple days then they responded to try acetone to get it off. I tried that with a syringe to try to get it under the grip. No good.

Emailed back. Again a couple days then they copied me on an email to the US distributor Dixie International, where Oxford asked Dixie to send a throttle grip to me.

Long story short, it took nearly 3 weeks total, but they sent me a new grip, no charge. I'm pretty happy.

Cut the old one off and put new grip on with fingernail polish. Seems to work fine so far. And the grips are great. Tons of heat. Not sure I'll ever need the highest setting.

So bottom line is... I think Oxford and it's distributor offer very conscientious customer service. I'd recommend the product. BUT I don't recommend using their super glue. Try something else, like standard grip glue or fingernail polish, etc.

Are you still happy with them? Just found a place that sells them for 69.95 and looks to be really good. Almost like OEM. Is there an interest for a group by?

I am still trying to make up my mind if I should get honda heated grips. It is an extra 100 bucks.