Paint codes and matching a 2005

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

profireguy

Reaction score
I have searched. I have found the Colorite codes, and the Toyota codes. I gave both of these to my painter, who is very good and very meticulous. He says that neither match to his liking, and that the actual Yamaha paint is a "Tri-color paint with a colored clear." Apparently, I should know what that means. He is a friend of mine, doing it on the side, so I am trying to help without pushing too hard. He said that he could eventually match anything exactly, but if someone had already done the legwork and had a formula, he would appreciate it. I also gave the old fender to a paint salesman at the body shop, who happened to be there and said he could formulate a match. My buddy seemed skeptical, not sure if he doubted the salesmen or the product, he certainly didn't give the guy much credit while he was there. My buddy seemed to poo-poo the salesman's plan of making a "2 part paint that would match a tri-color." Again, I nodded and smiled, and tried not to drool.

I thought I would ask here and hopefully someone could either point me to a topic I missed or give me the actual numbers they put together. He's painting both side panels, the front triangular piece, and a front fender, so it's not a simple touch up job. Who would have thought hitting a dog and NOT tipping over could have hurt so much?

Thanks in advance for any help.

When you get the code....be sure to share it in the Bin O' Facts....so others can benefit.

To my knowledge that is the most correct data anybody has provided.

Afriend of mine painted some scratches on my 2007. He paints high end Audi vehicles. No one in Denver could match the Black Cherry well enough for him. I went to Colorite,no problem,perfect match. They seem to be the pros on bikes and atv,boats. I couldn't even tell where he fixed the scratches.

Hmmm - color codes. Forget it. Been there, tried and failed. I buy Colorrite and tweak the '05 and '06 colors with a bit more purple. The '04, '06 and '08 paint from them is very close IMHO. Toyota colors are close, but would need "adjustments"... I wish there were codes so I could buy paint locally - I really don't like to spend $200/qt for the stuff...

Hmmm - color codes. Forget it. Been there, tried and failed. I buy Colorrite and tweak the '05 and '06 colors with a bit more purple. The '04, '06 and '08 paint from them is very close IMHO. Toyota colors are close, but would need "adjustments"... I wish there were codes so I could buy paint locally - I really don't like to spend $200/qt for the stuff...
Well, the paint salesmen called me back claiming their is a factory code, and I need to get my VIN decoded at the dealer to find out what it is. I suspect he doesn't know what he's talking about, since no one else has ever found this option. I will get back to him this later this week and see if there is any merit to it.

I'll be sure and post up if I find anything out on my own, but still hope someone will post up any numbers that can help.

Hey not to be a wise ass... but since he's re-doing the better part of the bike, why not change to something else?

:jester:

Good and bad news....Trying to keep it short but...

I was one of those paint reps for 15 years. Now run a high end body shop. I know a bit about paint. Here ya go...

Motorcycle paint codes:

Bad -do not really relate to anything at all in the auto paint world (Kaw racing green code 617 comes up Fiat blue in many databases)

Good - many automotive paint stores have some kid in the back who has formulated approximate match to many colors (just like colorite has done)

Vehicle Paint:

Bad - can not duplicate the painting process without a few million bucks, a factory, robots and bail out money

Good - bodyshops and even garage painters can produce great results to "replicate" the factory finish

Matching paint:

Bad - you can't do it, it can not be done (don't believe me? see my last line)

Good - "approximate" match and "blending" are perfectly acceptable

The paint manufacturers and their stores:

Bad - there are really only 5 manufacturers - BASF,Akzo Nobel,Dupont,PPG and Sherwin Williams - they really could care less about having a formula for your stupid bike.

Good - Call your local auto paint supplier, there is someone that works there that knows, but you gotta find him or her. You might need to try three or four in your area.

Bad - You are gonna take up tons of their time for a $200 sale. Your prices will be unfair and absurd. Remember that this guy spends 5 minutes on the phone to take a 5k order from a body shop!

Good - well you're kinda screwed here unless you have a friend who knows someone there, visit the store with a sample - they can match

conclusion : You can buy colorite and spend too much, you can go to the paint store and try to make friends, find a guy on this great forum to do it for you, or pretend you did not read all this negativity and search on

Now - go look at the color or your car mirrors and bumpers and compare to the rest your car. never saw that before did you? :huh:

I just got the word that the salesmen got a paint sample to my painter, and my painter approved of it. :clapping: If he thinks it is good enough to blend, I don't really need to see it. It will be too close for me to tell. It is a PPG formula, the salesmen used their matching machine and tweaked it. He said he would get me the mix, so that any PPG place could make it. I'll post it when I get it.

Joker: Why not repaint the whole thing? I considered it, but since I am really only getting about half the body work touched up in a few spots, it didn't seem worth it to do the whole thing. I am alright with the factory color, as well. I might have gone all black, but I wash my bike too infrequently. If I did it up right, I'd do a yellow and black RZ350 throwback scheme, and that would cost too much.

I just got the word that the salesmen got a paint sample to my painter, and my painter approved of it. :clapping: If he thinks it is good enough to blend, I don't really need to see it. It will be too close for me to tell. It is a PPG formula, the salesmen used their matching machine and tweaked it. He said he would get me the mix, so that any PPG place could make it. I'll post it when I get it.
Joker: Why not repaint the whole thing? I considered it, but since I am really only getting about half the body work touched up in a few spots, it didn't seem worth it to do the whole thing. I am alright with the factory color, as well. I might have gone all black, but I wash my bike too infrequently. If I did it up right, I'd do a yellow and black RZ350 throwback scheme, and that would cost too much.

Well good to see it's all working out for ya. :) I hadn't considered the "touch up" aspect of the job.

Yeah that Black an Yellow would look sweet!

:jester:

Well, I finally made it back to the shop to check on the paint, and I think it looks like a great match. I took a photo of the chip against the the panel, for a comparison. My buddy was shining the "sun gun" light on it. The chip is the lower portion, the factory panel is in the top/left side of the picture:

ImportedPhotos00002.jpg

That picture is with my phone, so it's not great, but to my eye it is indistinguishable. My picky painter likes it, and says it will blend well. I also shot the label from the order sheet that came with the paint. It is a PPG paint, and I believe the important numbers, or the code, is the "5021 Blue Prl", the "Prophet match" refers to the machine that he used to match the paint. I'll link the whole photo here, so if someone familiar with PPG says some other data is relevant, please speak up.

ImportedPhotos00001.jpg

The Prophet is the machine software they use. That info would be like making an omelet with an ingredient called "yellow cheese". There's a few things missing. The paint supplier will have the "recipe" showing so many grams of each color toner and component they use to mix the quantity specified. DBC is the code for BC/CC urethane.

It's just like going to home depot and scanning in and trying to match the paint you last used in the bathroom... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Prophet is the machine software they use. That info would be like making an omelet with an ingredient called "yellow cheese". There's a few things missing. The paint supplier will have the "recipe" showing so many grams of each color toner and component they use to mix the quantity specified. DBC is the code for BC/CC urethane.
It's just like going to home depot and scanning in and trying to match the paint you last used in the bathroom... ;)
I didn't know how much coding was needed to identify the color, I thought the four digit code would translate to a formula for a PPG dealer. I'll call the paint guy and see EXACTLY what someone would need to walk into their PPG dealer and get a quart.

ColoRite is a rip-off. I wonder how many 05 owners have a pint or quart of metalflake paint in their garage that matches nothing.

I did talk to the paint guy, I had left him a message wanting the formula. He called me and said he gave it to the painter for me. Not exactly what I wanted, but I will get it next time I am in the area. I saw the price on this per quart, and it was $40 cost, $70 list.

I feel bad that I have drug this out, but unless someone is really pressed for the paint and needs me to get it soon, I have been pretty busy lately and will get it when I get a chance.

Now - go look at the color or your car mirrors and bumpers and compare to the rest your car. never saw that before did you? :huh:
The first time I took my bike in for a tune up, the Service advisor told me the paint on my right handle bar did not match the paint on the left handle bar. I looked and I could not tell the difference. So back home I asked a friend to look at the paint, he said yes they do not match.

To this day I still can not see the difference. :rolleyes:

FWIW, I recently bought some Galaxy paint from Colorrite and the match sucked - way too blue - a lot like the Cobalt color. I had to blend it with quite a bit of PPG purple to get it right, at least according to my eyes. I just did essjayarr's Smuggler with it. I hope he can't see any difference... :rolleyes:

FWIW, I recently bought some Galaxy paint from Colorrite and the match sucked - way too blue - a lot like the Cobalt color. I had to blend it with quite a bit of PPG purple to get it right, at least according to my eyes. I just did essjayarr's Smuggler with it. I hope he can't see any difference... :rolleyes:
It ain't like you didn't just spill the beans there, Gary. :rofl: