Palms to Pines to Desert to Sea to Pie Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, we started out with Slappy and Fairlaner bowing out and is was looking like just me, Neil San Diego and Pegscraper were going to be the only riders. Visions of Chevy Chase, Steve Martin and Martin Short in the 3 Amigos went through my mind, but thankfully that wasn't to be.

I met Neil and Tony (FJstaR) at Starbucks on Del Lago. It was good to see that Tony was joining us. Neil also informed me that we would be meeting up with one person in Banning at the Starbucks. We left out from Escondido at about 7:45am and headed up to meet Ed (Pegscraper) off of the 79 in Temecula. The ride up was good, with the temps staying in the lower ranges. We met up with Pegscraper and he took the lead from there almost into Banning. We were just onto the 15 headed for the 215 when we were passing a Semi and hiding on the other side was a CHP Cruiser, we evidently didn't raise his attention and then passed a CHP Motorcyle cop on the side of the road just before entering the 215. Thank you Ed for having that RADAR detector with you. We made really good time, almost making up the delay in leaving from Escondido. We arrived in Banning at around 9:05 and Dan (Minuteman) was waiting for us. We talked for a bit then got rolling for the foothills and on into the mountains.

The cagers were not budging on the road to Idyllwild and finally Tony did some fancy manuever and got things rolling. We got some good twisties in but as usuall on that road, another group of the slow and pesky cagers crops up. We stopped in Idyllwild for a few minutes and were surprised to find that instead of the usuall Harlydite Tribal Rituals that go on there, we were looking mostly at Beemers. This would be the theme for the day, as we passed more everywhere we went. Ed went running off to buy something for Jacquie at a local shoe store. He came back shortly carrying a little pink plastic bag. We almost made him ride alone. We left out for the ride back down to Palm Desert.

The ride out of Idyllwild was excellent, cagers had not decided to leave yet. We got to the 74 and started to roll pretty good through the twisties and then bam, a stupid guy with a boat going slow and double yellow lines for miles. This guy was swerving the boat across those on several turns, boy would I have hated to meet up with him coming the other way. He finally turned off at Lake Hemit and we were able to continue on at a good pace. The road heading down to Palm Desert was full of twisties and once again, really slow cagers. It wasn't until we got to the bottom of the mountain that the lead cager in a Suburban pulled out of the way and we were able to speed up on the final straight away.

The Elephant Bar was a hit. Thanks MsNASCAR for your recommendation. We spent about an hour eating and talking and then changing the ride plan for the end. Neil had found information on some life size statues in the Borrego Desert, so we decided to hit the west side of the Salton Sea instead and cut over to Borrego on the road out of Salton City. The road start out really rough and then smoother. We were able to make some good time on this road and had some fun on the minor twisties. We got into Borrego and headed through the round about to the S3. About 2 miles out of Borrego we stopped to view the sculpture. The Horses looked real and there were these 3 Elephants that were amazing. We spent some time looking at those and talking, drinking water and resting up from the hot ride. The weatherman was wrong about the temps being high 80's to low 90's. We were seeing in the 100's. Ed left us at this point and headed back via Werner Springs and we continued on the S3 to the 78 and Banner Grade.

I was riding lead until just around Banner Grade, went into a turn and the sun was in my eyes so bad that the turn startled me, I slowed and got right and Dan passed me to take the lead. He went around a turn and was gone, as I rounded the next, a really bad decreasing radius turn, I see dust, Dan and his bike wedged between a group of rocks and a sign. He is trying to right himself, since he never went over all the way, but isn't quite getting it. I pull off, Tony and Neil come up and pull over and we all run to assist. Dan was fine, we got his bike un stuck and then he got back on it and took the lead again as if nothing had ever happened. He parked it in Julian up the road from Mom's and we all joined him. The bike had only a couple of scratches on it. Later, Tony and I realized that one of us should have grabbed his camera and taken pictures of the event. Dan was a little shaken, but all in all never let it get the best of him or the rest of the ride.

We went to Mom's for Apple Pie to top off the end of a long ride. Finished up and started our ride home. We said goodbye to Dan at Santa Ysabel then rode on through Ramona. At Poway Road, Neil and I broke off and left Tony to continue on the 67. I turned off at Twin Peaks and Neil continued on toward the 15 via Espola Road to Pomerado. All in all, it was a fun day. Just being on the bike with friends beats a day in the office or working on something around the house any day.

Ed and Dan in Banning:

IMG_0010.jpg

Ed, Dan, Neil and Tony at the Elephant Bar

IMG_0019.jpg

Ed giving the salute, Tony and Neil in Idyllwild

IMG_0013.jpg

Stampeding Elephants in the Borrego Desert

IMG_0023.jpg

Run Tony Run

IMG_0022.jpg

Neil and Dan in Borrego

IMG_0034.jpg

Ed and Tony in Borrego

IMG_0036.jpg

Mom's

IMG_0038.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad everyone is OK. Looked like a fun time, bummed I missed it. :(

Looked a little windy.

Mom's is always a great place for apple pie and ice cream. :D

LLFJRP - Thanks for sharing and setting this up. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for a great ride. Let's do it again soon. A few pics I took are here. Palms to Pines I'll try to forget the west salton shore. I'm going to the kitchen for my second piece of pie now. Mmmm!