Passenger Handgrips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneWound

Reaction score
So I took my FJR out with my better half recently and she noticed that there was a lot of wind trying to force her "up".  She then expressed the following: she wanted something to hold onto (no, holding onto me isn't an option.. that hurts after 5 minutes).  Has anyone does anything like this before? Or, alternatively, is there windblockers that can be added to prevent wind from hitting a passenger near the seat?

There are grab rails on either side of the passenger seat.  You could get one of those belts for you passengers to hold onto so the rider has a cushion to land on when crashing. Add some ape hanger to it if she wants style.

A trunk with padding or a backrest also helps.  Then replace the passenger pegs with floor boards.  And of course the grab rails. My wife has fallen sleep back there.

Have you thought about "love handles"? Not exactly holding on to you, and shouldn't cause any discomfort. 

US: https://oxford-products.com/accessories/travel-transportation/rider-grips-pillion-grab-handles/

Available from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/OXFORD-GRIPS-Motorcycle-Pillion-OX740/dp/B002XLKLCG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Oxford+motorcycle+love+handles&qid=1586010863&sr=8-1

(Other makes are available.)

Friends of mine use them all the time, she sometimes loops her arms through them and falls asleep. 

Second the trunk and floor board changes. With those it's a challenge to keep the SO from dozing off!

j/k, but the report is a more secure feeling with something behind them.

~G

The grab rails worked wonders was she realized they were there!  This feeling doesn’t happen all the time (I suspect it’s during a high cross wind, but we will see).  Does anyone make floorboards or is it just make your own?

And for the backrest, she seems resistant to it as she doesn’t like the fact that it’ll sit her forward more.  

Mca,
Thank you for the link.  Time to wait for forever for them to show up 😂

Large amounts of loop velcro on the front of her jacket, and lots of hook velcro on the back of yours. LOL

Windshield will impact the amount of wind on the rear as well, so maybe you want to experiment with different types and how high you raise it etc.

Windshield will impact the amount of wind on the rear as well, so maybe you want to experiment with different types and how high you raise it etc.
When she first had this problem, I did experiment with windshield height with no difference.  In subsequent rides (with no changes to the bike), she also hasn't experienced this "lifting" feeling.  In subsequent rides, she also hasn't felt this feeling.  I'm guessing that there was a cross-wind at just the right angle to cause this feeling.  I.e., this isn't a common problem