Passenger Perspective Top Case With Backrest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This comes up every so often on the forums. From personal experience, the V42 is just fine as a backrest without any pad. In fact, for my pillion's the pad was very uncomfortable, but the box itself is fine (esp. with a riding jacket)

Others may have different opinions...

Just got and installed the Givi V46 w/o backpad. Wife has a pad in her jacket and says the Givi is comfortable. On another site most of the comments mirrored this re the Givi.

I've got the Yamaha top case and backrest pad on my '04. The wife thinks it's the most comfortable bike she's ever been on.

On another note, a friend and I were looking at his new BMW R1200RT, with BMW's top box installed. We took a good look at his top box and mine, and determined the same company made both.

Craig

I've got the Yamaha Top Box on my 05, The wife felt it was a bit too upright for her. So I added a few spacers between the front mounting stand offs and the mounting frame, raised the front of the box about 3/8 of an inch and leaned it back by over an inch. She's much more comfortable now. Don

I've got the Yamaha Top Box on my 05, The wife felt it was a bit too upright for her. So I added a few spacers between the front mounting stand offs and the mounting frame, raised the front of the box about 3/8 of an inch and leaned it back by over an inch. She's much more comfortable now. Don
Thanks all.

The decision has been made and we went with the Yamaha top case. From the comments here, I don't think I could have gone wrong. I spent almost $200 more by going the Yamaha route rather than the Givi V46 with back pad and color matched lid. Why spend the extra?

1) Wife said she like the look better

2) I like the look better

3) Wife loves the stock pillion handles on the stock rack and threatened harm if I removed them.

4) It has a Yamaha logo on it

5) I have a third luggage lock that seems lonely under the seat

Andrew