More luggage options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trailer is interesting - haven't seen one like that before.
I have a trailer that I rarely use (and a hitch/wiring harness for the bike). Thinking I'll try to find a buyer for it next spring...
Bike with swivel hitch and you can hardly tell you are pulling anything. An ideal solution if you are riding 2-up and can't use the pillion seat for luggage.
Unsurprisingly, there is a bit of a hit on fuel economy, especially in windy conditions.

View attachment 6462
:love:

I think it depends on the geometry of the rider, topcase and windshield. I feel a little push from the wind with the topcase but barely noticeable. I always ride with the topcase - place to store spare gloves, cleaning cloths, lunch, beverage and lockable storage to throw stuff like GPS into when stopped. Tank bag works for some of that but isn't secure. I used to ride with side cases all the time as well, but now usually only when I'm going to be away overnight (or longer). The duffle bag on the rear seat eliminates the "backdraft" but reduces rear vision (I need to find one that is smaller or at least less wide).
I have been thinking of rbent’s idea of a cruiser bag

Not large enough for MY needs for camping and longer trips but looks like a suitable choice for extra luggage and won't obscure rear vision.
Just make sure that whatever you get is 100% waterproof!! My drybag has never leaked a drop.

It's worked well for me over the yrs. Taller works better I think tho if it had a bigger storage area it wouldn't be a problem. As I mentioned, I'm not a big guy and with the bag all the way back against the topcase, I have to be riding no-handed to be able to lean on it. One of the best features is the outside pockets for quick storing gps, sunglasses, etc. at stops. I've never once had anything stolen.

Mine is a Nelson Rigg, specifically an obsolete CTB350. You can still find them on ebay pretty cheap if you want to try something inexpensive. I also have the small round RiggPak case that attaches to the top of it for even more stuff.
Not large enough for MY needs for camping and longer trips but looks like a suitable choice for extra luggage and won't obscure rear vision.
Just make sure that whatever you get is 100% waterproof!! My drybag has never leaked a drop.
IMHO as infrequently as it gets used, being non-waterproof really isn't a problem. I do spritz it with Camp Dry before a trip but it came with a cover that has yet to fail despite my best efforts of hurricane and tropical storm riding.

In terms of dry bags, you can buy plenty of no name cheap bags off Amazon that work fine for floating your stuff while snorkeling. The ones we have are Skog Å Kust. If they stay dry in the ocean, likely fine on a bike. Had a Kriega motorcycle specific bag at 5x the cost and not worth the money.

It's worked well for me over the yrs. Taller works better I think tho if it had a bigger storage area it wouldn't be a problem. As I mentioned, I'm not a big guy and with the bag all the way back against the topcase, I have to be riding no-handed to be able to lean on it. One of the best features is the outside pockets for quick storing gps, sunglasses, etc. at stops. I've never once had anything stolen.

Mine is a Nelson Rigg, specifically an obsolete CTB350. You can still find them on ebay pretty cheap if you want to try something inexpensive. I also have the small round RiggPak case that attaches to the top of it for even more stuff.

IMHO as infrequently as it gets used, being non-waterproof really isn't a problem. I do spritz it with Camp Dry before a trip but it came with a cover that has yet to fail despite my best efforts of hurricane and tropical storm riding.
I've had a used Nelson Rigg CTB-350 saved in my eBay Watchlist for about 45 days now ;^) Great minds...

I apologize for the delay in responding and thank you all for your valuable suggestions. Your input in this discussion is greatly appreciated.

After reviewing everything, I've concluded that adding a bag on top of the trunk may not be the best option. I'm leaning towards the idea of attaching luggage to the passenger seat instead. What are your thoughts on the bag available at this link: https://www.vikingbags.com/products...adventure-touring-motorcycle-duffel-tail-bag?
It seems like a promising choice to me. While there are some cheaper duffle bags on Amazon, I'm inclined towards investing in a high-quality branded bag with a warranty.

Please let me know if you think this option is suitable, or if there are other branded alternatives available within the US that you would recommend.

After reviewing everything, I've concluded that adding a bag on top of the trunk may not be the best option. I'm leaning towards the idea of attaching luggage to the passenger seat instead. What are your thoughts on the bag available at this link: https://www.vikingbags.com/products...adventure-touring-motorcycle-duffel-tail-bag?
All depends on your needs. For me, this wouldn't be nearly large enough to accommodate camping gear/food/additional clothing etc. for a major trip. (I would also prefer to pay less for a 100% waterproof dry duffel bag and a set of Rok straps.) Nice that this one can double as a backpack...

Note: When it comes to a dry bag, a roll-top duffel is my preference. The typical roll-top cylindrical dry bags are effective but difficult to access anything that isn't on the top. Also, I have another (smaller) duffle-type bag made out of 100% waterproof material but it has a supposedly waterproof zipper that isn't.

I happen to have the same bag(s) RossKean linked to, and they're perfect. Cost is very reasonable, easy to access all the contents, and absolutely waterproof. The smaller one doesn't block my mirror view, the larger one does somewhat. I just have to lean a little farther when checking the full rear view. Big one is for tent camping trips, smaller for no-tent adventures.

Mostly I just wanted to mention Rok Straps again; they're the best. I leave two sets crossed over the pillion seat full time, so they're always ready to tie down a 36-pack of Pepsi or a big pack of paper towels from one of my frequent Costco trips. And of course when I have to tie down the dry bag. There are a number of good tie down points on the back and sides of an FJR. I seldom have a pillion, but unless it was a longish ride, I'm sure nobody would be bothered much by the flat strap buckles under the butt. The straps are absolutely dependable to hold your load, and SAFE, something my eye surgeon told me all about in grisly detail, describing eye damage he'd had to address thanks to those bungee hooks coming back on somebody, much more common than you might believe. I try to warn people off those things whenever I can.

Last edited:
I apologize for the delay in responding and thank you all for your valuable suggestions. Your input in this discussion is greatly appreciated.

It seems like a promising choice to me. While there are some cheaper duffle bags on Amazon, I'm inclined towards investing in a high-quality branded bag with a warranty.

Please let me know if you think this option is suitable, or if there are other branded alternatives available within the US that you would recommend.
I'd buy it. Very handsome. Decent price!

I use a Givi 56l top box and have the Givi rack on top of it but rarely use the rack. On the few times I have used it the only things I put there are very lightweight items such as our rain gear and extra gloves or some lightweight clothing. I always carry a dry bag and rok straps in the top box as a "just in case" method of carrying stuff. To date no subframe issues but as stated it doesn't happen often.