Passenger Techniques

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndaub

Reaction score
I have ridden since 1991 but have never ridden with a passenger. I got a 2007 FJR AE in December and all my friends want me to take them for a ride. I have now gotten used to the bigger size of the FJR so would consider giving my friends a ride. However, this will be new territory for me and I do not know how a passenger will affect the ride. Anyone have any advice including simple things like who gets on first, low speed manuevers, adjustments, etc.?

I do not want to test my sliders!! :dribble:

Passinjers? We doan need noe steenking passinjers! Eye bees thinken yew need tuh dye-wreck 'em guyz tuh thuh MSF coarse soes they kin bee lernin' tuh ryde bye their-own-seffs! Eye bin havin' wun passinger, en then only wunst, en she were mye dotter. Everbuddy ess kin git thar own murdersickle.

Yer miles en stuff might very.

* You don't get on or off the bike until I say so. I'll let you know when it's okay.

* Stay with the bike. You lean as it leans. Do not ever attempt to move with me. I need you to become nothing more than additional weight of the bike.

* Never put your feet down.

* Stay in your seat. That may mean that you must hold onto the grab rails tightly and it will work you hard to stay in one spot, but stay in your seat and out of mine!

* Rider/passenger comm handles the rest.

Passengers on the FJR are no big deal. I tell them to basically do nothing, remain neutral as far as leaning. I explain that they should specifically NOT lean away from a turn, that the bike must lean a certain amount or we will not make the turn. And, keep still when we're stopped. That's about it. With casual riding, you will hardly notice them back there, unless she's your wife and you pull one of your famous 1st gear wheelies and she smacks you upside the head! :angry:

What Jeff said...good info for your passenger.

I always tell them to pretend they are a statue...don't move around back there and hold on. (women can hold on to me if need be...)

For the rider I would only suggest that you think "SMOOTH"... make all your moves as smoothly as you can. You can accellerate quickly..just do it smoothly so your passenger doesn't feel like the bike is trying to slide out from underneath them and they end up grabbing you thinking they will fall off the back.

This goes for braking too...you do not want their helmet banging against yours when you brake...so give yourself more time approaching stop signs and don't try impress them with the FJR's brakes. Pretend you have a carton of eggs on the seat behind you.

Remember you are responsible for their safety now, so take it easy. Especialy if they have never been on a bike before...you don't want to scare them anymore than tbey might already be.

My daughter had never been on the back of a "fast" bike before. I took it easy , but did give her a demonstration on how quickly a motorcycle can accellerate. (0-100-0 between traffic lights)

Her first words after taking off her helmet were " I WANT ONE."

KM

Passengers on the FJR are no big deal. I tell them to basically do nothing, remain neutral as far as leaning. I explain that they should specifically NOT lean away from a turn, that the bike must lean a certain amount or we will not make the turn. And, keep still when we're stopped. That's about it. With casual riding, you will hardly notice them back there, unless she's your wife and you pull one of your famous 1st gear wheelies and she smacks you upside the head! :angry:

I resemble that remark :rolleyes:

I can't improve on the good advice given so far but I can address the "who gets on first" part. Getting on as a passenger is a really tricky maneuver especially with a trunk and a rider already on the bike. Some people just can't do it at all. By far the easiest way for a passenger to get on is first. Just like they are going to ride, holding onto the handle bars. Then they simply scoot back. Your mount is a little trickier, I step up on the peg with my left foot and step over with my right, but it's way eaiser than a passenger getting on the back.

I always remind my wife - NO SUDDEN MOVES WHEN WE STOP. In other words, don't lean over an look at your shoe untill my feet are planted.

The bike, as you know, is light as a feather when your moving, but pretty damn heavy just sitting there. You get on the bike first ... leave the stand down, and have the passenger get on from the left (stand side) in this way you do not have to "hold the bike up" while the passenger's weight is not centered. I just tell a new passenger to sit still during any stops, never take their feet from the pegs, and don't worry about leaning ... just stay neutral. OH yeah ... and ENJOY!

* You don't get on or off the bike until I say so. I'll let you know when it's okay.* Stay with the bike. You lean as it leans. Do not ever attempt to move with me. I need you to become nothing more than additional weight of the bike.

* Never put your feet down.

* Stay in your seat. That may mean that you must hold onto the grab rails tightly and it will work you hard to stay in one spot, but stay in your seat and out of mine!

* Rider/passenger comm handles the rest.

That's good stuff. We have worked out signals like a nodded head, she puts hand on my shoulder (giving me once last chance to stay stop), etc. I also explain the signal for "slow down, your moving too fast and I'm scared" which is one pat/slap on the back.

I also assure new passengers:

1. It will seem like we are going very fast into the corners and leaning way over, but I'm actually riding very conservative because I have a passenger.

2. You are in charge, be sure to let me know if I'm going too fast or scaring you.

3. If the bike is falling over, get your legs clear and get away from the bike. Nothing we can do once it goes that far . . .

4. The bike is designed to go 150mph, but we probably won't go that fast

GEAR!!!! Gear them up as much as possible, even for down the block and back. If you know they have their own, require it. If they don't maybe you have something that fits. If not, they need at least a helmet, and if their shoes are laced, tuck the laces in before mounting.

And make SURE they understand it's not a macho contest; it's OK for them to say "When!"

P.S. If they show up in chaps, inform them that they are do not qualify as an FJR pillion.

(And why did it take to post 13 to bring up gear?)

Last edited by a moderator:
When getting out of a parking space have the passenger wait for you to get the bike out of the space and lined up and ready to go before they mount. It takes a little while to get used to having a passenger and you don't want to be walking the bike or performing low speed turns with them on it.

It takes a little while to get used to having a passenger and you don't want to be walking the bike or performing low speed turns with them on it.
Making tight u-turns with a pillion wiggling all over the place behind you trying to get "adjusted" (read: wedgie) is entertaining to say the least. My wife cannot get it through her head that unless the bike is moving over 20mph in a straight line or is at a dead stop with my feet on the ground, she can't squirm around back there like a two-year-old in a car seat.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of good stuff here.

Tell them that they are the "owner", you are the "captain", it's your responsibility for safety, theirs for comfort (including fear).

One addition to help with the "lean in corners" bit, tell them to look over your right shoulder in right turns, left in left turns. Their lean is then perfect (unless you're hanging off the bike :evil: ).

+1 on what Jeff says.

I tell my occasional passengers the same things. As far as leaning into the turns, I tell the passenger to "look over my 'down' shoulder but otherwise be still."

By far the easiest way for a passenger to get on is first.
That's funny, because for us it's the opposite. I get on, get situated, plant both feet so the bike's solid, then they step up on a rear peg and swing a leg across. Whatever works for you.

Lots of good advice above, but my wife and daughter each have burned their ankles on the headpipe in front of the muffler. Both after we stopped riding and they'd gotten comfy, so you might remind your passenger about the hot pipes before getting off. This also goes back to people mentioning not to put a foot down and something about wearing something that covers the skin.

Bob