Passing Through a Herd of Harleys

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
I guess when you decide to go riding with a trike, you don't get to whip off your Clark Kent glasses and invoke your super motorcycle traffic-leaping powers.

Heading home north on US 101 Sunday (yesterday) afternoon, traffic was flowing pretty well until I came over the hill from the Monterey exit heading toward Salinas (Steinbeck country). Suddenly the traffic slowed, so I began to filter. Then I came across a herd group of Harley riders enjoying the beautiful riding weather. 'Ceptin' they had a trike with them, so they could not (or would not) filter (I believe they had Kali plates).

One of my prime directives about riding is "First--do no harm to other motorcyclists." As a result, unlike that SOB on the vintage BMW coming into Ventura on the freeway yesterday who passed me outta nowhere in my lane at 60 MPH!
angry01.gif
, I'm very careful about interacting with other riders on California streets and highways.

Of course the Harleys were locked into their standard 2x2 staggered riding formation. I wasn't comfortable going to the right of the bike in front of me: it was too tight. And I would not go to the right over the white fogline because that would violate "Hans's Principle of Motorcycle Advantage."

So I opted to enter their formation. I didn't want to be unsafe, disrespectful, or rude, so I went very slow and used lots of head checking and turn signal, etc. I feel like I did it safely and respectfully. I hope they didn't think I was a dick.... Those poor folks had about 5 miles of that sh*t ahead of them, on a fairly warm day.

Video :)47):

Passing through a group of Harleys

Last edited by a moderator:
Neatly done!

Couple of days ago I took advantage of an HD 'rabbit'. Dude on an orange bagger who I spotted well ahead of me. As I caught up, he increased his speed. Guess he didn't want no 'rice-rocket' to pass him.

That was fine by me, so I hung back as he kindly provided radar bait for me
devil.gif

Couldn't help catching up to him on the curves, tho'

Seemed fine to me. Their being staggered is what made it possible. If they'd been in their typical 2x2 formation (side-by-side), it would have taken more finesse.

sometimes I go all Canuck on these corks in the ass of progress and pass using my own personal lane between the double yaller... sigh- kinda like the SOB on the vintage BMW...
bad.gif

Neatly done!
Couple of days ago I took advantage of an HD 'rabbit'. Dude on an orange bagger who I spotted well ahead of me. As I caught up, he increased his speed. Guess he didn't want no 'rice-rocket' to pass him.

That was fine by me, so I hung back as he kindly provided radar bait for me
devil.gif

Couldn't help catching up to him on the curves, tho'
My experiences riding up your way over the years is that harleys are really ridden, very exuberant and great rabbits.

I also have issues passing other motorbikes, and give them a very wide berth after tagging along for a few miles. (Yes, they're almost always going slower than I want to travel.)

A few weeks ago, I went riding with friends who are big members in a local HOG chapter -- in fact, the husband was leading the ride. The group got split up about ⅓ of the way in because -- honestly -- the trikes claimed they couldn't negotiate the turn at a conventional city-street intersection. Flabbergasted me, it did.

James Burleigh, good to see you posting again, and glad your actions didn't spark a flurry of small arms fire from the biker gang you passed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I passed through a similar herd of Harleys near the South Dakota Badlands National Monument. They were doing 65 mph in both driving and passing lanes, gawking at the views. They were not in any kind of a formation, random scattered riding. I was very careful yet one guy made a passing lane to driving lane change without signaling right across my path. Thankfully I was expecting an ass hat maneuver and avoided him.

Distracted riding is a hazard!

A Heard of Harleys ... good analogy. Also, a Smell of Harleys (if you happen to be caught behind them). :D

I encountered a Heard west of Plainview, TX a couple years ago--they were running 5-10 under the limit with no regard to others. There were 20+, riding side by side, not a smile among them (I don't get that), not providing any separation amongst themselves.

The cyclic rise and fall of the road was such that the passing zones were short and none of the cars, pickups, and semis bunching up behind them would attempt a pass. The ST1300 made quick work of the procession, not a glimmer of acknowledgement from any of them as I passed and waved.