PCIII - Does It Void Yamaha Warranty?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

War Machine

Zero Altitude Test Pilot
Reaction score
Does anyone know positively if a PCIII voids the Yamaha extended warranty?

With all the talk about the PCIII & susequent maps posts that I have read, I have never seen this question addressed before.

Anyone have a warranty issue not addressed by Yamaha because a dealer insisted that the PCIII voided the warranty?

If you are worried about it remove it before you take it in for any reason and re-hook your o2

Then no issue unless you have a PCIII sticker on your gas tank.

That is how we do it with our Modified diesel trucks

Been discussed in great depth. The PCIII DOES NOT VOID THE WARRANTY. Your dealer may be an ass about it and tell you it does. If he does tell you the PCIII voids the warranty -- run, he is not the dealer you want for your bike because he is looking out for HIS interests and not yours.

If you are worried about it remove it before you take it in for any reason and re-hook your o2
Then no issue unless you have a PCIII sticker on your gas tank.

That is how we do it with our Modified diesel trucks
Thanks Cdog,

That's what you do if a PCIII voids the warranty. I want to know if it does.

No need to uninstall it if it is not a factor in voiding the warranty.

Any one out there know for sure?

Been discussed in great depth. The PCIII DOES NOT VOID THE WARRANTY. Your dealer may be an ass about it and tell you it does. If he does tell you the PCIII voids the warranty -- run, he is not the dealer you want for your bike because he is looking out for HIS interests and not yours.
Not to be a pain, but how do you know?

It sounds to me that maybe you sould get ahold of Yamaha and ask the question to them. Your extended warranty should have a phone number on it. They should be able to give you something written that states if any kind of modification voids the warranty. That way you will not base your decision on hear say.

It sounds to me that maybe you sould get ahold of Yamaha and ask the question to them. Your extended warranty should have a phone number on it. They should be able to give you something written that states if any kind of modification voids the warranty. That way you will not base your decision on hear say.

[SIZE=18pt]Gunny[/SIZE]

We are protected by the Magnisson-Moss Warranty act. Even though the topic being discussed in this thread is different, the Magnisson-Moss act and US Codes are quoted. To paraphrase the act/code -- the dealer would have to prove that an aftermarket widget was the sole root cause for a failure before they could void your warranty.

Warranty is also a paying job in the dealer's service dept. (MamaYama credits the dealer's account w/$$$).

A good dealer will look for all the warranty work they can get -- not deny it.

And post it here!

:rolleyes:

We are protected by the Magnisson-Moss Warranty act. Even though the topic being discussed in this thread is different, the Magnisson-Moss act and US Codes are quoted. To paraphrase the act/code -- the dealer would have to prove that an aftermarket widget was the sole root cause for a failure before they could void your warranty.

ionbeam,

i couldn't have said it any better!! installing a PCIII does NOT void your warranty

joe

As long as the dealer doesn't have any worries about the repair being rejected when he turns it in to Yamaha for credit. That's the key/crux of the issue. All warranty repairs are reviewed by the factory (regardless of brand or industry) and if there is a question, the dealer is the one who is out $$$. A *great* dealer will absorb small stuff here and there, run the risk to keep the customer happy. But that's also a slippery slope as you never know when something that started small could turn out to lead to a new engine/bike at the most extreme.

So, if your dealer passes, ask him why. If the service mgr knows very well that Yamadog will ding the claim based on the circumstances, you'd be hard pressed to fault the dealership, IMHO.

Disclaimer: yes, I worked for my uncle's shop when I was a kid, so I see things from BOTH sides as often as I can. Some dealerships are staffed by smarmy dicks, no doubt, but don't slap that label on anybody who disagrees with your desires without looking at the facts of the case.