PCIII or V

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all of you, I am confused more now. Is the G2 throttle tube really the fix? Is this easier/better than the Power Commander? And why on other threads do you guys advocate upping the idle speed to 1100-1200 rpm? Is this related to the snatchy/abrupt throttle? I called Fuelmoto to talk to tech support but stayed on hold so long I had to hang up. Will try this again tomorrow.
I have the G2 and get that surging at elevation as well - the tube is not the solution you are looking for if the issue is related to the surge (loss of power then grab when at elevation). The tube does not help that issue at all. I plan on getting the PCV this Spring.

The first (and most cost effective) thing to try for Gen2 throttle abruptness, is the G2 replacement throttle sleeve. The curve of the cam on the throttle sleeve is modified to neutralize the progressive shape of the lobe down on the throttle body.
I have a G2 sleeve I'll send you for $35 shipped should you decide to go that route.

Is the throttle tube a 400 cam? If so, I'll take it if Redfish Hunter doesn't want it. PM me.

Thanks to all of you, I am confused more now. Is the G2 throttle tube really the fix? Is this easier/better than the Power Commander? And why on other threads do you guys advocate upping the idle speed to 1100-1200 rpm? Is this related to the snatchy/abrupt throttle? I called Fuelmoto to talk to tech support but stayed on hold so long I had to hang up. Will try this again tomorrow.
I have the G2 and get that surging at elevation as well - the tube is not the solution you are looking for if the issue is related to the surge (loss of power then grab when at elevation). The tube does not help that issue at all. I plan on getting the PCV this Spring.
Have you had the ECU recall? That sounds like what I read up as the symptoms of the faulty ECU.

We had the high altitude ECM recall done some time back. It did not do any good at all that we could see. The bike has always run well and has power to spare at all elevations we have run it. I mentioned it in the opening post but I made that too long with too much information and I guess it got overlooked in the shuffle. We were not initially part of the recall because we are at 54 feet above sea level but the manager of our local Yamaha dealership knew that we make a trip to the mountains every year and included us. Yes, we do like our Yamaha dealership, so far anyway! I told Dad that I spent $302 of his money today on that PC V and that if this did not fix it we were swapping bikes. I don't think he wants to trade his FJR for my ST!

For the altitude surge, does he have/use cruise control? I experienced this once before, and as best as I can tell, it was because the throttle didn't move very much when going up in altitude. Giving the throttle a healthy twist allows the ECU to recalculate the fueling and all was better again.

No cruise control and I think that the throttle is getting the occasional "healthy twist". What good is it to have all that motor and not use it every so often right? No, this is due to very lean fueling at low rpm and I will post results when I get the PC V. The problem is not just at altitude, he gets it even down here at sea level, there are just not as many curves to expose it.

The altitude surge is because you haven't turned the throttle enough. When it happens to me whilst riding at altitude, I go full throttle when the first opportunity arises, the ecu adjusts and is fine after that. Or you can stop switch the ignition off, restarting triggers the ecu to adjust for altitude. A minor inconvenience at worst.

PC V came in yesterday from FuelMoto. Customer service was good, got what I ordered, got the info I needed. I installed it on the FJR, which is not as much fun as the directions would have you believe. Dad and I both rode the bike in the yard and we both agreed that the throttle response was much smoother and more instantaneous. I took the bike for a ride to see what it acted like in the curves and it seems to be much better, looks like we have achieved what we wanted. We are going to try for a ride tomorrow to fully assess our work, I will report on that. Now, for those of you who want to be mean, I had ridden my ST over to Dad's to do this work. I have nothing but love for my ST, but I know the FJR is faster and is a more exciting bike to ride. When I opened the throttle in anger with the new PC V, HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! I was unable to think, the whole world turned into a blur and I felt like I was caught in some kind of time warp. I am always impressed with the power of this motorcycle and I can't verify that it is any stronger than before, but it sure feels like it. When I left there on the ST I had the front wheel off the road and still felt like I was dragging an anchor behind me.

We took a 200 mile ride today to assess the Power Commander V. It has done everything we wanted it to do. No more snatchy, jerky hesitate then give more power than you want throttle issues. It seems like there is less slack in the driveline because there is less jerking coming from the engine. This means that while it obvioiusly did not affect the transmission, it feels like it shifts smoother because it isn't hesitating then jerking when you apply throttle after the shift.You can pull out of a parking lot without the bike hesitating when you apply throttle. No more snorting and bucking when you apply throttle in a turn. The only downside so far is that the MPG display in the dash is very optimistic. It was telling us that the FJR was getting over 57mpg and the faster we went, the higher it would read. Not sure how that works out, but there it is. Finally for the fuel mileage. Normally my ST1300 gets 0.1 mpg better than the FJR. We fueled up together this morning on the way with both bikes already up to operating temp. 188.7 miles later we stopped at the same station and fueled them both again. I took 3.697 gallons, the FJR took 3.698. According to my odometer, that was 51.041 for the ST and 51.028 for the FJR. No, we did not ride them hard at all, that is better than we usually get.

IMG_5625.jpg

Here is a shot of the two bikes on today's test ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to install rivnuts in the exhaust and have it tuned up right.
THAT'S the way to go imho. I don't know why more peeps don't have this done. Be sure to post up your results.

IMG_5625.jpg

Here is a shot of the two bikes on today's test ride.

Excellent photo! Glad you got your dad's FJR running well. And how awesome being able to ride with your dad. Now, if we can just get you to get rid of that POS ST1300 and get an FJR all will be PERFECT! :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Skooter if you only knew how hard it was to make the choice between the bikes. Dad was about to retire and was working straight 12 hour nights with no days off and was looking at about 100 of them before his project was done. 30 nights into it he gave me the job of picking out his retirement motorcycle. The new Concours 14 was not on the floor yet, so the BMW 1300, the ST and the FJR were the contenders. I studied, read, talked, shopped, sat on and generally did everything you would do if it were your own $$$. I picked the FJR, my mom and I handled all the paperwork and I rode it home. The first time he ever saw any of the bikes in person was when he came home from work to find the FJR in his shop. I thought then and still think that the Honda was the bike he needed but the Yamaha was the bike he wanted. I got rid of my Suzuki sportbike and got the used Honda so that Dad and I could ride together. We have had some great rides and I don't mind that the FJR is faster and better looking. The FJR is an awesome motorcycle and you see that I actually chose it over the ST. I just did not have to pay for it.

Skooter if you only knew how hard it was to make the choice between the bikes. Dad was about to retire and was working straight 12 hour nights with no days off and was looking at about 100 of them before his project was done. 30 nights into it he gave me the job of picking out his retirement motorcycle. The new Concours 14 was not on the floor yet, so the BMW 1300, the ST and the FJR were the contenders. I studied, read, talked, shopped, sat on and generally did everything you would do if it were your own $$$. I picked the FJR, my mom and I handled all the paperwork and I rode it home. The first time he ever saw any of the bikes in person was when he came home from work to find the FJR in his shop. I thought then and still think that the Honda was the bike he needed but the Yamaha was the bike he wanted. I got rid of my Suzuki sportbike and got the used Honda so that Dad and I could ride together. We have had some great rides and I don't mind that the FJR is faster and better looking. The FJR is an awesome motorcycle and you see that I actually chose it over the ST. I just did not have to pay for it.
Good story.

The important part being able to ride with your dad. And don't worry, that ST doesn't make your butt look too fat. :D

Skooter I do recognize how priviledged I am to be able to ride with my dad. In truth I am lucky he did not kill me when I totaled his '84 GoldWing back in '95. I actually use him as an excuse for taking my yearly motorcycle trip.

We have made the NC/TN border area and up the BRP twice and toured Arkansas once. My wife thinks as long as it makes my father happy it's good. She does not care about my happiness.
IMG_5624.jpg
">

I checked with my wife to see if that Honda made my butt look fat. She said not to blame the bike...I guess that means no?

The plot has thickened! Got an e-mail back from FuelMoto and now they say I am supposed to disconnect the O2 sensor, originally they said leave it connected. I don't know what the hell to do now. The bike is running great, it runs cooler, gets better fuel mileage, the snatchy throttle is fixed, and Dad loves it. I am scared to fool with it, if it gets worse, Dad will beat hell out of me. I am afraid that if I tell him I am going to fool with it he may kick my ass anyway. I can't understand it, the PC-V was not a slight improvement or a partial fix, it was a night and day difference. The bike is fantastic now. I knew this was all too good to be true.

Unplug it...it's what DynoJet has in their installation instructions. If it runs like crap, gobbles fuel, or he's not happy, plug it back in. It actually doesn't get any more easy than that. It's not like you are installing jets and needles and such, right? :D

Unplug it...it's what DynoJet has in their installation instructions. If it runs like crap, gobbles fuel, or he's not happy, plug it back in. It actually doesn't get any more easy than that. It's not like you are installing jets and needles and such, right? :D
You are right of course. There are problems with this. 1. I am very lazy. I would rather bitch and whine than work. 2. The Old Man is so happy with the FJR right now, he literally may choke the life out of me if I mess with it again. 3. I have been communicating with Jamie @ fuelmoto and I have more news to report.

Jamie says that the bike will run better with the sensor disconnected but if we are happy with it we can leave it, no ill effects. He says throttle response will improve because it will run slightly more rich w/out the sensor. He says that the bike will not be affected at altitude without the O2 sensor connected because it is responding to manifold air pressure and intake temperature, not O2.

Throttle response will improve? What? This thing is a monster already, it was a terror before I installed the PC-V, what will I unleash on the Old Man if I make it more powerful? I know we are all used to the power of these bikes but have you ever thought about something the size of the FJR, with saddlebags attached running in the 10 second bracket in the 1/4?

Anyway I have the OES frame sliders and the tipover guards to install tomorrow and Dad is on the coast running fishing charters. I may swap bikes with him while he is gone and see what experimentation shows me.

I installed the frame sliders and the tipover bars, rode the bike for a few miles and left it at Dad's. I ain't fooling with it unless something starts acting stupid. This thing runs like a bat out of hell, the throttle is smooth, what else do I need. The Power Commander V and Fuelmoto did all I could have hoped for and more. All it takes is $$$.