Penske Triple - Settings?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiowize

Reaction score
I just nabbed a used Penske for my '03. Would anybody care to recommend a good starting place for adjustments?

I plan to ride this shock for a few months, then go for a rebuild, since I can't be certain regarding the mileage on it.

Since you don't mention which model shock, and what your weight and riding style is, I'm going to suggest you start by downloading the users manual for the shock you got. This is going to give you information on how to adjust the shock based on sag settings. For all we know, the spring is inappropriate for you, or it might be fine. There is not a general starting setting any of us can recommend. A good place to start IMO is to compare the height of your OEM shock with the Penske shock. The Penske is adjustable, and you're going to get a lot better performance on the bike if you start with the Penske 1/2 to 1-inch longer. This will raise the rear end of the bike a bit, and make a noticeable improvement. The users manuals all describe setting compression, rebound and other settings to properly adjust sag and rebound handling. Having a fixed course to try it out will help you gauge the effect of changes. Part science, part art, it is a matter of trial and error with a used shock with unknown spring rates and condition.

You can't count clicks. You have to adjust it by how the shock responds and how it feels. This is true of any shock / fork / suspension.

My Penske 8983 with 800 lb spring rate came from Traxxion with the following settings:

Eye to eye: 326 mm

HS Compression: 10 clicks out

Rebound: 18 out

Preload: 8 mm

I'm @ 170 lb, and not an aggressive rider.

As others noted, it's an individual thing.

I just nabbed a used Penske for my '03. Would anybody care to recommend a good starting place for adjustments?
I plan to ride this shock for a few months, then go for a rebuild, since I can't be certain regarding the mileage on it.
Paul, give me a shout if you'd like any help with shock set-up, I run an 8983 as well. Auburn can give you a hand too and might be closer.

I'd start with the shock just slightly longer than stock, shoot for 3 - 6mm which nets ~2.7X that amount.

--G

This is good info! I downloaded the manual, not sure why I hadn't even considered that.

George - I'd be happy to buy you lunch for some assistance. I'm pretty sure there's a special shock wrench out there somewhere that I need to buy too.

Despite the seller's assurance that the shock wasn't leaking and would have some life left in it, when I got it today, there was an obvious oil stain indicating leakage. They also wrapped the reservoir so tightly to the shock that the hose kinked.

Looks like I'm in for a rebuild or a return, we'll see what the guy says...