Perfect setup - how?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdk

Reaction score
Having ridden many bikes over the past 20 years I can recall only one experience when my bike seemed like it was a part of me. On a ride from Seattle to San Francisco the bike seemed that it would do anything I wanted it to. I didn't have to think about whether the bike would do this or that, it just did what I wanted to do and did it effortlessly. It was totally stock and I had just bought it the day before my ride. It was a 2002 BMW R1150R.

Perhaps it was just euphoria from the new bike or other non-bike factors, but it seems that we should be able to achieve that kind of experience on most modern bikes especially the FJR, one of the premier touring bikes.

I've spent a lot of money over the years buying aftermarket seats, bar risers, peg lowering kits to get comfortable on various bikes but I'm talking about getting the bike feel like it will do whatever you want (just normal riding not racing or trying to drag a knee). It really adds to the quality of the experience and to the rider's confidence. I should have kept that bike because everything came together for me. I have an 07 AE and previously had an 05 FJR. The 07 fits me really well but I've yet to dial it in as well as I'd like.

Any comments on how to achieve this on my FJR - without breaking the bank?

Thanks.

It's more 'between your ears' than the bike (though a poor bike or one not up to the task could evade a zone like experience) but some days you just get into the 'zone' (or feel the Zen).

Well, the problem is relatively easy...the FJR was built for me! ;)

I feel euphoric nearly every time I ride. The days I don't feel euphoric, I find other things clogging my mind...which is a tall tell sign that I probably shouldn't be riding in the first place.

I can't say your experience is unusual. In spite of my affection for the FJR, it has never quite equaled the handling of my '03 1150 RT . The RT has absolutely neutral steering and stays wherever you lean it while the FJR pushes back a bit. However, that FJR power and smoothness is addicting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved the ride of my '04 1150RT. I just hated the repair bills. I think I have finally got the FJR "dialed in". One of the best things I did was add a Power Commander 5 module. It really settled down the initial throttle twist, I mean, when you start giving it throttle coming out of a turn the bike does not jump forward. It changes they whole demeanor of the bike while in the curves. The bike is more cival now. I don't have to be overly careful with the throttle. My mind can concentrate on other things. The power is still there when you twist a little more. The other two biggies for me were a Russell seat and a Heli triple clamp. Someday I may buy another BMW, but not until I am sure the final drive issue is fixed. Until then I am going to enjoy the hell out of my FJR.

It's definitely not just between your ears, its between you legs. There are hundreds of guys on here trying to improve the same things that you are talking about. The suspension settings that HaulinAshe suggests will make a difference until the components start to sag, which won't take long.

Upgrading the suspension has done wonders for my bike. I put a Penske shock on it two years ago (24K miles) and just had GP Suspension rebuild the forks. What a difference that has made in the handling of the bike. This is the best any of my FJRs have felt in 60K miles altogether.

I would fix up the suspension and go from there. There are a couple options for Group Buy pricing for GP Suspension and Racetech.

Brian

I loved the ride of my '04 1150RT. I just hated the repair bills. I think I have finally got the FJR "dialed in". One of the best things I did was add a Power Commander 5 module. It really settled down the initial throttle twist, I mean, when you start giving it throttle coming out of a turn the bike does not jump forward. It changes they whole demeanor of the bike while in the curves. The bike is more cival now. I don't have to be overly careful with the throttle. My mind can concentrate on other things. The power is still there when you twist a little more. The other two biggies for me were a Russell seat and a Heli triple clamp. Someday I may buy another BMW, but not until I am sure the final drive issue is fixed. Until then I am going to enjoy the hell out of my FJR.
Did the PC5 affect your gas mileage?

QUOTE (Big-B @ May 11 2010, 07:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...Upgrading the suspension has done wonders for my bike...
I think I will look into upgrading the suspension after this riding season is over. I've done enough over the previous winter and now it is time to stop spending money and ride. I'm pretty happy with what I have right now.

I can't say your experience is unusual. In spite of my affection for the FJR, it has never quite equaled the handling of my '03 1150 RT . The RT has absolutely neutral steering and stays wherever you lean it while the FJR pushes back a bit. However, that FJR power and smoothness is addicting.
Yooper,

I had this same observation when I had the stock Metzler Z6's. I went with the PR2's and the bike is now very neutral and doesn't want to stand up in the corners....stays where you put it. Much nicer to ride now.

Almost new tires and a curvy road. Makes any bike perfect.
Fixed it for you.

Had a really hairy ride once on brand spankin new tires and a rain drenched curvy asphalt road, no fun was had at any point. :(
fjrchooser.......

not wanting to sound a "know all" but new tyres are dangerous for the first few miles......

as per this info on one website......

Running in Motorbike tyres

New tyres owe their shiny appearance to the products used for removing them from the mould - a lubricant called "mould release wax". This lubricant makes a new tyre extremely slippery. This is why it is vital to gently run-in the tyre for 30 to 50 Km - enough time for normal use to eliminate the mould release wax from the tyre's surface, thus enabling it to achieve its normal grip.

During the first few dozen kilometres it is advisable to ride gently, and to ride as if you were on a slippery surface: do not accelerate, brake or change direction suddenly and take corners gradually.

Let's be careful out there.

Txoria

A few burnouts and nose stands should do the trick as well . . . :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
fdk

Not clear on how far you've tweaked the suspension but that is step #1. Haulin Ash settings will make a huge difference to stock and work as is for a majority, but from experience, an after market, fully adjustable rear shock and stiffer fork springs will make that bike your bitch (said with love and affection). You will once again become one with the road. All the other farkles are handy, more convenient, ergonomic and put a smile on your face... but doing the big suspension mods is laugh out loud yee-haw!! Either way, give yourself a few weekends just riding and adjusting.

I don't know, sometimes the bike and I are one. It is truley just another appendage. Then there are other times when it all feels out of sorts. Something is just off a little. Of course that happens with all my other appendages as well. Se La Vi.