Pickup Coil Rotor Cover

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRLoonie

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I seem to have an oil leak below this cover. I picked up a new gasket ready to change the old one out but notice in the service manual it says to drain the oil first. By my eye, the oil level wouldn't come up this high but I thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience with this.

Thanks in advance.

FJRLoonie

I seem to have an oil leak below this cover. I picked up a new gasket ready to change the old one out but notice in the service manual it says to drain the oil first. By my eye, the oil level wouldn't come up this high but I thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience with this.
FJRLoonie, If you're referring to the crankcase cover on the RH side (while sitting on bike) with the access plug in the middle of it, no oil draining is necessary as long as you're on a level flat surface. {This cover has many different names depending on what reference you're looking at} I would put it on the center stand, not on side stand; because there are some Dowel Pins that could accidentally fall out and disappear into the crankcase while removing the cover while on the side stand due to the angle the bike sits while on the side stand. 

I've taken mine off a few times even with the oil level at the top sight glass mark and had no problems. Be careful while installing not to pinch the wire loom that lurks just outside of the cover.

Oil leaks can be tricky to locate sometimes. They can creep from different locations. Hopefully you have success.😎 

It's not uncommon for the dowel pin that anchors the cam chain guide to come out with the cover and it can be a real PITA to get back in place. I pull the cover just enough to grab the dowel with needle nose pliers and then remove it. 

Thanks for the replies. Yes it is the furthest one forward on the right side with the access plug, item 28 on the pic below.

Also, there is a screw beside the access plug (I think item 36 but it's hard to see if that's just one of the perimeter bolts or not) does that have to be taken out? It doesn't look like it holds the cover in place at all but maybe something else????

0_0.png

Thanks for the replies. Yes it is the furthest one forward on the right side with the access plug, item 28 on the pic below.

Also, there is a screw beside the access plug (I think item 36 but it's hard to see if that's just one of the perimeter bolts or not) does that have to be taken out? It doesn't look like it holds the cover in place at all but maybe something else????

0_0.png
FJRLoonie, Item 36 is the smaller one of 2 access plugs. #37 being the larger one, nether of which need to be touched for cover removal. #37 is for quick access for manually rotating the crankshaft. #36 is for checking the ignition timing, (which can't be adjusted as far as I know). #36&37 are only on Gen 1 & Gen 2's. Gen 3 & up they were eliminated.

For cover access #31 & #32 are the bolts to remove. They are different lengths so take note. Tap it with a Dead Blow or Rubber mallet if it's stuck on. Slowly pull it off, and like FJRay suggested watch and hold the #30 dowel pins if necessary.

Good Luck! 😎

A friend bought a 2013 yesterday and it's due for a valve check. I'm going to replace the cover with one that has the plugs in it so in the future the engine can be rotated without removing the cover. Seems like engineering by bean counters removing the plugs.

Having to remove the cover adds about 15 min and the cost of 1 gasket. Is that worth the cost of a different cover, an additional O ring and crush gasket?

Thanks again for the guidance. The whole thing went off without a hitch. The cam chain dowel pin stayed in place as did the ones on the cover. Started it up and so far all looks good. It was a slow leak but after cleaning it all when I initially found the leak, I discover small amounts of oil after running it for a bit.

Time will tell. Thanks again.

Al