Pilot's License: Granted!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Franks

Reaction score
Well, I did it!

newfjr.jpg

And, surprisingly, I said "screw it" and picked the AE model for $11.1k. This was another Yamaha corporate motorcycle that was a factory rep bike. It was the same price as the A model, and I decided I would try going clutchless for a while. Oddly, what decided it for me was a very little thing. I had to drive through a lot of heavy stop-and-go traffic on surface streets, and my hand was aching a little.

I was a bit worried about low-speed maneuvering, but I did about 20 minutes in the parking lot doing U-turns and figure-8s and decreasing radius circles. It wasn't that bad. Although you must tell me more of the G2 throttle tube of which you speak. I think I need one of those, because the throttle is stiff and...surgey (is that a word).

It's a different riding experience on the street, but I think my achey clutch hand is actually gonna enjoy the rest.

I was only able to put 18 miles on it, mixed freeway/street, and I never got it above 80. But it got to 80 fast!

I don't think this a bike I'll ever outgrow. It's comfy, and I love the electric shield, although I'm probably gonna need a Cal-Sci shield with a few extra inches in height. I can flat-foor it comfortably, and it's just amazingly well balanced compared to the Sporty.

Oh, I think I'm gonna have fun...

Congratulations! Glad to see you took the plunge and made it through. Very nice!

What do think about that Sporty now?

CONGRATS on your purchase man! Sweet, Sweet Feejer you got there. Awesome feeling isn't it?! You will love the AE...it is literal poetry in motion.

Farkleitis is next...let the disease begin. It is fun tweaking it out how you like it.

Enjoy and congrats again! Stay safe.

Rex

Congrats :fan_1:

As I said in your other post, "Buy it, you deserve it". You did your home work, looked at your options and you were ready to go.

Enjoy. Lots of folks here with the paddle shift and they like them.

Congrats and welcome to the club. Took me about a week to get used to the AE, but I really don't miss the clutch nearly as much as I thought I would.

Griff

Congrats!

I did the G2 for my 07A and it took out what I will refer to as jerkiness in the low speed roll on. Well worth doing.

Enjoy and have fun.

Congrats Dale, glad to hear it!

Here is the G2 throttle tube:

https://shop.g2ergo.com/product.sc?category...p;productId=146

Yamaha put a cam on the engine end of the throttle cable on the 06 and 07 models. In a nutshell, it makes the first 1/8 (?) of a turn of the throttle act like 1/4(?) of a turn. (I'm guessing at the 1/8 and 1/4, but you get the idea) THe G2 throttle tube goes on the handlebar end and has a cam in it the negates what the OEM cam does, so you get a flat throttle response instead of the instant kick at the first twist.

The other thing I would suggest (and probably everyone else will offer the same suggestion) is adding sliders as soon as possible. Several folks have claimed that the sliders prevented substantial damage on a low speed tipover.

Also, I have a +4 +4 CeeBailey windshield on my 07A. They only take a couple of minutes to switch out. If you would like to try it sometime, lets switch them out and take a ride around the area.

I'm right down the freeway if you need any help with the G2 or other farkles.

Although, with this YCC-S deal, I'm gonna need to get used to it. The throttle surges, so it's gonna take some discipline to transfer clutch control to throttle control.
I'm obviously gonna need a few parking lot sessions.
I'm sure you've read about it, but it's worth repeating:

Take all the slack out of the throttle cables, that reduces the "surge".

Then learn to drag the rear brake a little when doing slow manoeuvres, and before doing anything really tight, let the speed drop until the clutch disengages, then ease the throttle to get some drive, keep it slipping against a little rear brake.

It makes the bike very stable, and becomes second nature.

Enjoy.

Congrats Dale!

Very cool! I thought about the AE when I bought mine, but didn't find one to test ride, and when I decided to buy my 08, the ether was high (I couldn't wait).

Also... I have a DSG on my GTI, it's basically a manual with 2 clutches controlled by the computer and though I love it, I wanted the shifting on the Feejer...

Again, Congrats!

Well, I did it!
newfjr.jpg

And, surprisingly, I said "screw it" and picked the AE model for $11.1k. This was another Yamaha corporate motorcycle that was a factory rep bike. It was the same price as the A model, and I decided I would try going clutchless for a while. Oddly, what decided it for me was a very little thing. I had to drive through a lot of heavy stop-and-go traffic on surface streets, and my hand was aching a little.

I was a bit worried about low-speed maneuvering, but I did about 20 minutes in the parking lot doing U-turns and figure-8s and decreasing radius circles. It wasn't that bad. Although you must tell me more of the G2 throttle tube of which you speak. I think I need one of those, because the throttle is stiff and...surgey (is that a word).

It's a different riding experience on the street, but I think my achey clutch hand is actually gonna enjoy the rest.

I was only able to put 18 miles on it, mixed freeway/street, and I never got it above 80. But it got to 80 fast!

I don't think this a bike I'll ever outgrow. It's comfy, and I love the electric shield, although I'm probably gonna need a Cal-Sci shield with a few extra inches in height. I can flat-foor it comfortably, and it's just amazingly well balanced compared to the Sporty.

Oh, I think I'm gonna have fun...
Dale,

Bought a 2007 AE six weeks ago in San Francisco. 1 mile on the odometer on the showroom floor; great deal though not as good as yours.

Lots of traffic signals in SF before I can access the freeway to go riding or go to work. Don't miss the clutch lever a bit in such a stop and go environment. The bike has performed great on SF's steep hills.

Rode PCH up the Coast this past weekend (temps were in the 90's in N. CA). Lots of fun using the paddle gear switch. Hope Yamaha continues to innovate the AE.

Enjoy.