Pirelli Angel ST Tires Available

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2,020 miles on the Angels and the rear is showing cords. Damnit! That just ain't gonna cut it.

The front looks OK. Will have to see how far it goes.

I wish i was kidding. Rear tire is toast at 2,020 miles. Air pressure confirmed at 41 or 42 before each ride. The mileage is split probably 65% serious twisties in AR and MO and 35% commuting. My last pr2 recieved approximately the same percentages and lasted to 3,800.

Can't ride until this weekend when the new Roadsmart arrives. We'll see how it does.

I wish i was kidding. Rear tire is toast at 2,020 miles. Air pressure confirmed at 41 or 42 before each ride. The mileage is split probably 65% serious twisties in AR and MO and 35% commuting. My last pr2 recieved approximately the same percentages and lasted to 3,800.
Can't ride until this weekend when the new Roadsmart arrives. We'll see how it does.
Well, I sure hope you have more luck with the RS than Glen did, wasn't he saying he got about 2,500 miles from that RS and on similar/same roads? :eh-smiley:

I've been running PR2 for over two years, lost count of the number of sets so far, on I guess 70% slab and straight roads & 30% on various twisties - my average mileage is in the 7-8k range for the rear. The front will typically have another 2k or so of life for slab type roads.

IMG_5958.jpg

IMG_5960.jpg

Glory, any chance your tire pressure gage went south? I had lousy mileage on a set of tires, and belatedly found out my gage had over time started measuring 4 lbs. more than reality. That might help explain part of the low mileage. You didn't have folks add razor blades in the local tarmac did you?

I don't think so, but hey anything is possible! With only 2000 miles, I would hope that something wasn't right.

Even though the tire was pushed pretty hard on 3 different days full of twisties, so were the PR2's that got twice the mileage.

I have contacted Pirelli to see if they have any ideas of what would cause such rapid wear for a new Sport touring tire.

I don't think so, but hey anything is possible! With only 2000 miles, I would hope that something wasn't right.
Even though the tire was pushed pretty hard on 3 different days full of twisties, so were the PR2's that got twice the mileage.

I have contacted Pirelli to see if they have any ideas of what would cause such rapid wear for a new Sport touring tire.

Yabbut, most folks are getting 8 or 10k miles out of PR2s. You guys need to be reported to PETT (People for the Ethical Treatment of Tahrs) ;)

Yabbut, most folks are getting 8 or 10k miles out of PR2s. You guys need to be reported to PETT (People for the Ethical Treatment of Tahrs) ;)
That there is funny!

Yep...FJR tire mileage, or the lack thereof...has become a PETT pieve of mine!

Although reluctantly, I have come to the conclusion that if you are going to attempt to take advantage of the Sport aspect of the Sport touring FJR...it is gonna cost you tires! I guess that is cheaper than the expense and hassle of a second bike???

Had a set of Angels mounted on my '08 last Thursday. V-Twin Concepts of Grant, Fl. mounted and installed them on bike as advertised for $200.00 plus tax.

The owner test drove bike and warned me that the tires are real slippery for the first 100 miles and to be real careful.

I planned on testing my own endurance on Saturday with a 600 mile ride around the central part of Florida, so I drove around locally on Thursday and Friday to get the

the 100 Miles out of the way.

My impressions so far are all good.

Ride quality, cornering, braking and flickability are all vastly improved over the Factory BT021's.

The tires now have 723 miles on them and the Angel are still visable on the front tire. Back looks great so far too.

Let's see how they wear. Will post as I rack up some miles.https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//style_emoticons/default/cool.gif

Made an appointment today for tires, mounted and balanced on bike for $199.99. From what I read here that's a great price. That's in Grant, Florida.

Let post how i like them later.

:clapping:
Dood, I'm 2 hours from there and need tires NOW! What's the name of the dealer who spooned your tires on?

BTW, my Avons lasted 2 years....and 8,000 miles. Best mileage I ever got out of tires. Would have been two months, but then that's a LONG story. :p

Screw what I wrote 2 minutes ago. Shoulda read the entire thread first. Then would have known where to buy a tire that can turn in 2,020 miles before the belt shows.

That clinches it. I'm goin' Darkside. Fuggit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made an appointment today for tires, mounted and balanced on bike for $199.99. From what I read here that's a great price. That's in Grant, Florida.

Let post how i like them later.

:clapping:
Dood, I'm 2 hours from there and need tires NOW! What's the name of the dealer who spooned your tires on?

BTW, my Avons lasted 2 years....and 8,000 miles. Best mileage I ever got out of tires. Would have been two months, but then that's a LONG story. :p

Screw what I wrote 2 minutes ago. Shoulda read the entire thread first. Then would have known where to buy a tire that can turn in 2,020 miles before the belt shows.

That clinches it. I'm goin' Darkside. Fuggit.
A Frankenfarkle for the Frankenbike Howie? Not a car tire. Say it ain't so Joe. Say it ain't so...

Glory, any chance your tire pressure gage went south? I had lousy mileage on a set of tires, and belatedly found out my gage had over time started measuring 4 lbs. more than reality. That might help explain part of the low mileage. You didn't have folks add razor blades in the local tarmac did you?

Winner...Winner...Winner!

I just heard back from Pirelli and after their professional evaluation of the tire...it appears that underinflation was the cause of the poor mileage. I ride fairly aggressively, so I always check tire pressures before beginning rides. Time for me to check my tire gauge for accuracy! Also with over 30k on the bike, I will be replacing the valve stems on the next tire change...just to be safe.

I will give the Angel rear another chance on one of the Arkansas rides in March. This time I will be very careful to insure the air pressure is correct. Also I will be running the E spec tire as it is what is tested and approved for the FJR. I certainly hope the mileage increases because I really liked the grip/control/feedback of the Angel tire.

So....Remeber to check your tire pressures...and also verify the accuracy of your air guage "prior" to said pressure check!

So....Remeber to check your tire pressures...and also verify the accuracy of your air guage "prior" to said pressure check!
So just for grins, since I'm just a dumb cracker... how do people verify their gauges? Just check with a "known good" gauge?

Does "known good" just equal "really expensive" ??

I know I've had really expensive ($50 or so) gauges disagree with other really expensive gauges by 6 or 7 lbs. :(

So just for grins, since I'm just a dumb cracker... how do people verify their gauges? Just check with a "known good" gauge?

I know I've had really expensive ($50 or so) gauges disagree with other really expensive gauges by 6 or 7 lbs. :(
I do not know if there is an easy and technically correct way to calibrate or verify the accuracy. If someone knows...shout it out. I own probably six of seven different guages, two of which are always on the bike. I am simply going to take all guages with me on my next trip to the shop and compare them to their tank guage. That will let me know if one is reading substantially different. I will be very interested in seeing how the one I carry in my tank bag reads!

I asked this in the past and there was a nice forum member in Canada that offered to calibrate my gauge, but I didn't take him up on the kind offer. Rather than pay shipping to do that, I checked against some reliable gauges. Then threw mine away and bought a decent one; checked the new gauge against others and it was within a pound or so of the ones I compared against... time to recheck as it has been a year. I hear it is pricey to get them calibrated.

Glory: Glad I was lucky enough to mention the guage first and it was helpful to you.

Last edited by a moderator: