Pirelli Angle GT offeres best mileage in segment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't be bothered reading...looking at what I know to be true, I'm assuming that it was the best tires in the segment where no other tires other than Pirelli GTs were used.
"...the authoritative independent German body Motorrad TestCenter which conducted a test, comparing Pirelli with Michelin Pilot Road 3, Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II, Bridgestone Battlax BT 023, Continental RoadAttack2 and Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact M/O."

Fair and square. Jumbo (a.k.a. 2 Tons of Fun) got the Sportmax, SmokeyBurnRubber got the Battlax, One Wheel Peel got the RoadAttacks, Black Stripe Esteban got the Z8, and PeeWee Limp Wrist got the GTs. Oh wait, what influence could a rider make in a tire test? With a sample size of 1 (each) in less than 12k miles how can you definitively say one tire will typically outlast the others? Easy, work for the Motorrad TestCenter.

wink.png
Airboss said grain of salt..... try half a bag.

"The test sessions were held in dry weather conditions with rather low temperatures, but consistent throughout the period. Due to the route that travelled through different altitudes (from 10 to 1100 metres above sea level) the air temperature varied from 18 to 5 degrees Celsius, while the asphalt temperature ranged from 18 to 23 degrees Celsius." Heat is the enemy of tire wear......

Add to Alan's list...... what bikes, different or the same? What air pressures for each?

I don't choose tires primarily for longevity, but grip in all conditions (e.g., I don't like the beloved PR2's). The only way you'll know is to try them yourself for your bike and your riding habits/conditions. That's why tire threads go NEPRT......

I'm currently getting AMAZING life out of my GT's. Of course, that's measured in months and not miles. it's amazing how long a set of tires can last when you aren't riding.
sad.png
On the up side, I think I may have made it so my tire change will slide three months and I won't be wrestling with a tire changer in July in Texas.

Wonder if it will play in TEXAS heat
Soon as I get the bike back on the road I'll be putting miles on my GT's and we'll see how they hold up through the summers. Not a lot of twisty playing with them but they'll get the heat.

Interesting that they had PR3's in the comparison though, seeing as many aren't getting the same mileage out of them as the PR2's. In the end though, for the value, I'm willing to bet this will be my best set of tires for miles per dollars. Pirelli's free front tire promotion posted on here earlier this year meant I spent $185 shipped for the set. I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the life for what I paid.

That's a fairly bold claim re the Angle GT's, I've seen FJRs rip them apart.

One gent heading to Tasmania from Queensland was lucky to get to Victoria.

As usual it all depends what you want in a tyre !

As for the BT023 GT's, second worse tyre I've ever had on the bike.

Wore my set out well before they were even released on the USA market, wore extremely weird and were dangerous in the wet.

I think I even did a forum post about it many years ago.

Just find the tyre that's right and stick with it.

I'm at about 6200 miles on my GT rear and it's doing very well, I expect to reach 8k. This is my 1st GT, prior that that have had a couple of STs and they were done by 6200. Have had PR2s and was not impressed with the ride, handling was adequate but not as good as the Angels, ST or GT.

After trying a few different tires on the front the Angels are for me. Also glad to see I'm not the only one who dislikes "the beloved PR2", I thought it made my bike handle with all the finesse of a waxed refrigerator.

It will be interesting to find out how these compare in real life (aka FJR Forum members) though.
The way some of the peeps here burn through tires, it shouldn't be long before we have some data.
Unofficially, I only got little over 5K mi. outta the rear, 'n a little under outta the front on the Pirelli Angels I tried a few years back. I wasn't impressed. Get 6 to 7K mi. outta Avon Storm IIs, and 6 to 8K mi.outta PRIIs. Only gotta few thousand mi. on my PRIIIs, before I totalled my FJR. Never liked them tires; they seemed to turn in slower than any other ST tires I've sampled. :dunno

YMMV

Has anybody found a better deal than $273.46 from Ron Ayers for the Angel GTs?

Also considering the new Bridgestone T30 tires, but have not found a review yet.

It will be interesting to find out how these compare in real life (aka FJR Forum members) though.
The way some of the peeps here burn through tires, it shouldn't be long before we have some data.
Unofficially, I only got little over 5K mi. outta the rear, 'n a little under outta the front on the Pirelli Angels I tried a few years back. I wasn't impressed. Get 6 to 7K mi. outta Avon Storm IIs, and 6 to 8K mi.outta PRIIs. Only gotta few thousand mi. on my PRIIIs, before I totalled my FJR. Never liked them tires; they seemed to turn in slower than any other ST tires I've sampled. :dunno

YMMV
Keep in mind the Angel GT is a newer tire and model and is different than the Angel ST.

Some new choices out there now, we need more reviews! Bridgestone T30's, Angel GT's and PR4's. I'll need a set in the spring--will probably give the T30's a try.

The Angel GT is my (favorite) choice for the front, the back Angel not so much.
Okay, why? And not being snarky, what's your preference?
Never any cupping, good feed -back and decent milage on the Angel front. For the best milage rears PR2's ...Also like Roadsmarts , BTO23's . With Angels rears one never knows what's left when you are in the second half of it's life. I was caught twice thinking I get another 2-3K miles out of it and all I got was another 800-900miles
ohno-smiley02.gif
with cord showing half way around the tire.
drag.gif

The Angel GT is my (favorite) choice for the front, the back Angel not so much.
Okay, why? And not being snarky, what's your preference?
Never any cupping, good feed -back and decent milage on the Angel front. For the best milage rears PR2's ...Also like Roadsmarts , BTO23's . With Angels rears one never knows what's left when you are in the second half of it's life. I was caught twice thinking I get another 2-3K miles out of it and all I got was another 800-900miles
ohno-smiley02.gif
with cord showing half way around the tire.
drag.gif
Okay, fair enough.

On my Guzzis I've used several brands (Mezlter Roadtec Zx, Bridgestone something-or-other, and Pirellis)...and I've been happier with the Angel ST (and now GT) more than any other. Stickiness in Appalachian twisties, wet-road confidence-inducing performance, and long-enough tire wear. I generally change rear at 7500 miles and front at 9,000 miles...and probably have at least a grand of tire wear left (but I don't like to push it...).

YMMV of course.

Last edited by a moderator: