Planning Bay Area (Marin County) Ride Saturday, April 28

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hans, you guys be careful today. The cloudy, possible showers isn't the bad part....its the wind gusts to 25 mph that could be the "gotcha".
Y'all got that right, Mike. So I met Waaane at 8:30 am at the local Starbucks--okay, maybe it was 8:40. (Sorry to keep you waiting, Waaane.) We road into San Francisco and on down to the Presidio. As we entered the Presidio it started drizzling.

We checked out the parking (plenty and free) and the coffee shop, and had a cup o' joe and a scone. You will be happy to hear they have an Organic Fruit and Nut Bar, by the way, so we got that going for us--in particular for all the fruits and nuts on the ride. (But no sandwiches that early for our picnic.)

By the time we came out of the cafe it was, well, drizzling really hard. Some might even call it rain. We toured around the Presidio with our visors and windscreens soaked, then over the Golden Gate Bridge (GGB), where the folks on the pedestrian walkway gazed into the gray mist and must have wondered, "What in the hell am I looking at?"

Then we went up the hill into the Marin Headlands overlooking the GGB (see photo under my signature below). It was so foggy and wet and windy, that we were in first gear the whole way up the mountain, with about 20 feet of visibility ahead of us; crazy bicyclists would suddenly loom out of the surrounding mist.

Once at the top, where there were no cars because nothing to see, we had to stop because we were meeting my Harley buddy up there, whom we had called from the Presidio to let him know we were on our way. It was so damp, cold, and windy up there that we took refuge by scooting our bikes past a pedestrian gate and into the pedestrian tunnel. I took a couple of camera photos (below).

450053345_d77aa448b1.jpg

450053349_f97af190b1.jpg

It was such a nasty overcast day that, as you can see, I wore my day-glo yellow vest. And here's the view of San Francisco and the GGB:

450053351_cc4e5e2b06.jpg

My buddy showed up soon. First we spotted his modulating headlight coming up the road in the distance, then heard the Harley engine, and then he emerged out of the gloom.

We went down the backside of the mountain and headed toward Hwy 1 to scope out the route some more. But when we stopped in Mill Valley for gas, I called it like it was: "This ride's a bust, guys. It ain't safe to head back out to the coast. We need to call it a day."

Waaane had already figured that out for himself and said he was gonna head on home, where he had to pack and head to the airport for a flight to Texas and a week-long cruise in the Caribbean. But hats off to Waaane for being such a great sport. The rain didn't bother him a bit. Me, I had to go on the ride because I needed to scope out the route. He and my buddy were along for the, uh, fun of it. In any event, good riding practice, keeping that rear tire from spinning or sliding.

Anyway, the weather speculators say tomorrow is supposed to be beautiful. And since Fang's out-o-pocket anyway tomorrow, I get another kitchen pass to try it again.... This time it'll be with my BMW buddy on the K1200RS.

Jb
Damn it this is funny, heres why.

I was up in SF for the easter weekend, was sitting in our hotel room late friday reading the forum when i noticed this posting about you guys meeting at the Presidio between 9-10, at this point I was bummed cause I was due to play golf that morning.

So I get up Saturday to that shitty drizzle and I thinkl to myself "oh well no golf I will go meet those guys at the Presidio and have coffee". we head over to my wifes sisters where her dad and brother in law both say they dont want to play golf in the rain (cool). At this time I get online to check where you guys are meeting and it is then I realise that I have the wrong fucking weekend. Now I am bummed cause I am stuck there all day with screaming kids everywhere.

And now I read 2 of you went there anyway. FUCK.

oh well next time.

Richard

I was up in SF for the easter weekend, was sitting in our hotel room late friday reading the forum when i noticed this posting about you guys meeting at the Presidio between 9-10, at this point I was bummed cause I was due to play golf that morning.

So I get up Saturday to that shitty drizzle and I thinkl to myself "oh well no golf I will go meet those guys at the Presidio and have coffee". we head over to my wifes sisters where her dad and brother in law both say they dont want to play golf in the rain (cool). At this time I get online to check where you guys are meeting and it is then I realise that I have the wrong fucking weekend. Now I am bummed cause I am stuck there all day with screaming kids everywhere.

oh well next time.

Richard
Hi, Richard. Well, the pics and description from the day you were there and it rained like hell were our scouting trip to map out the route. But it was a complete bust, as I noted. So really all you missed was a good cup of coffee at the rendezvous point. There was no ride.

Unfortunately, there have been something like two rainy days in April, and the second is scheduled for this coming Saturday, ride day. But I am monitoring the weather speculators every day to see if something changes to make it a shiny day for the Shiny-Hiney ride. It's such a beautiful ride with great views that it HAS to be on a clear day.

oh well next time.

Richard
Hi, Richard. Well, the pics and description from the day you were there and it rained like hell were our scouting trip to map out the route. But it was a complete bust, as I noted. So really all you missed was a good cup of coffee at the rendezvous point. There was no ride.

Unfortunately, there have been something like two rainy days in April, and the second is scheduled for this coming Saturday, ride day. But I am monitoring the weather speculators every day to see if something changes to make it a shiny day for the Shiny-Hiney ride. It's such a beautiful ride with great views that it HAS to be on a clear day.
Well maybe i will see some of you guys next weekend at pacific grove.

R

Note that I have posted the detailed ride route in the original post above, along with the updated participant list as I understand it. And oh yeah, a new bikini pic.

Can I have folks confirm their intention to participate? That would be helpful. You can PM me or post here.

Here it is Thursday evening, and I'm still keeping my eye on the weather. Stay tuned this time tomorrow for a final decision about whether there will be a need to postpone.

Jb

Well it's supose to down pour in the morning light'n up in the afternoon

It does not look good will know by tonight t o make the final "D"

weekend rider

why not move the ride to next weekend?

Highlander, dCarver, others who are still on, please PM me with a phone number when I can call you this early evening. I want to discuss options--for example, going on a ride tomorrow, but not the S-H ride planned.

Hans

Highlander, dCarver, others who are still on, please PM me with a phone number when I can call you this early evening. I want to discuss options--for example, going on a ride tomorrow, but not the S-H ride planned.
Hans
Thanks for all the work, but the forecast still shows rain in the AM with a little break around noon and then more rain in the afternoon. Sounded like a great ride. I'll have to pass on tomorrow due to the weather. Hope to do another ride soon.

Thanks

Scott

Hans
Hans, even though I couldn't go on this one, I appreciate your efforts and will try to make the next. Unfortunately, I'm involved with a major project or 2. The second project is to install all the "farkles" I bought a month ago (GPS, new triple tree w/risers, radar detector, electrical etc, etc.) Unfortunately, before I can do so I have to "clear a space" in the garage by selling my VTX and selling off the "farkles" I had installed that are worth more off the bike than on. Unlike the FJR, the X's are in "over supply" and are going dirt cheap. Kills me to sell a bike for 5-6k for when I paid 15k for just 2 years earlier. But, I can't "justify" (at least not to my wife) the cost of insuring and maintaining 2 bikes after retirement and I don't ever ride the X anymore!

Installing the "farkles" will take me a lot of time as I have to work on it only an hour or so a day or on a weekend. My wife usually has plans with the kids and grand-kids on weekends so..... Unlike some, while I enjoy "knowing" how to work on and maintain my bikes, I don't just really enjoy it. It's more like "work" for me. Might be different if I could just piddle around doing it as an old retired guy. So, once I get the plastic off and the bars off, I intend to do the full Monte on the bike so it'll be good to go for the rest of the summer. I'm just hoping I can get it back together in time for WFO in July!

So, having put in so much time and effort in planning the ride, you should resurrect it another weekend if necessary. I hear rumors that this "record setting late winter" is due to GW's :rolleyes: global warming, but summer is bound to show up someday.

Best,

LC

Hans - I'm still at work... and will be here for alot longer. The life of a server administrator isn't always glamorous.

I hate to throw the towel in, but...

toss..

I'm a wimp.

I do Thank You for arranging this ride..

for me, I won't be available until after May due to work schedules. :angry:

Next two weekends are booked, I'll take a rain check. :rolleyes:

I'll pass on a PM ride tomorrow also JB. The steepness of my driveway and the mudhole at the bottom won't allow a safe departure (or return) when it rains. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
James,

I would really like to make this ride but will be leaving on the 28th. to Lake Powell, AZ., unfortunately not on the FJR, :cray: the wife doesn't ride so the car it is. :glare: I will be watching for future rides. :read:

Rob

Not-So-Shiny Sun Forces Postponement of the "Shiny-Hiney" Ride!

New Date Announced: Saturday, April 28![/size]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Survived my work-Noobies ride today (reason I couldn't make the original ride). Let's say I'm now REALLY looking forward to riding with people who put more than 750 miles/year on their bikes. I knew it was gonna be bad, but Mein Gott, what a goat-roping this ride was - Okay, going to my happy place now, we all survived... just have to ensure I never get sucked in again ... Oooommmm, bikini-clad motorcycle-riding goddesses, oooommmmm...

Back to the Marin ride: Providing my new foot peg - 1/2 lost vs. a Bott's dot while dodging rocks on Hwy 1 AND got a flat tire in the process - and brake pads make it here in time, and the tire plug holds, and the wife hasn't plotted something, and the creek don't rise, etc., I'll see you on the 28th.

RsvlFeej

Last edited by a moderator: