Planning first SS1000 2 up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

networkguy

Reaction score
So, I posted in the ride planning section already, but seeing if anyone here has done the SS1k 2up. Wifey is insistent that she wants to go, sooo. On the FJR we've done an 800 mile trip over 2 days, but that involved ALOT of traffic, and it really wasnt too bad of a ride. The route we're planning is HERE, although Im considering not going through Apache Junction and just head straight down to Tuscon and over from there...we'll see.

I've been reading quite a bit about preparation, and have learned planning my stops is as - if not more - important than the route itself, and Im thinking about that. Im undecided whether or not we'll stop somewhere for a 5 or 6 hour sleep or just ride straight through but taking a few more and longer breaks. Advice on that? And how do I handle a time change with certification? I would love advice from anyone who has done it 2up.

Haven't done it 2 up but have done it. I did 1046 in about 20 hours and surprisingly it wasn't that difficult. I hit a bit of a psychological wall at about 600 miles then pressed on and by 700 was fine again. I felt like I could have done another 100 at the end. Try to have most of your ride during day light hours. We left at 4:00 am and finished at about midnight. I`m always a bit nervous at night.

Did a number of stops with one at 45 minutes and several at around 20 minutes. A quick snooze on a picnic table works wonders. :dribble:

Interstate riding is boring but the best way to make time. Crusing at 75 mph seems to help.

London Ontario to near Tulsa OK.

If you want Iron Butt recognition keep receipts and follow their rules.

Good Luck and stop if you feel too tired. You can always try again later.

My wife and I did a 2 up SS1000 from West Palm Beach to Houston. I thought I would tip the scales in her favor,

so I worked a 12 hour shift- then departed after I got off work. I did not plan a thing and did everything wrong.

I ran out of gas on I-10. So you will need to take my advice with a BLOCK of salt.

Make sure you BOTH really WANT to do this ride.

The ride was much more comfortable than I expected.

Depart early- Before the traffic rush.

It will be about 15 to 16 hours actual riding time on the average.

I suggest a 4 am departure with a midway lunch break (?)

Rest stop nap only if needed.

Looks like a good route...

Don't run the mileage too close (For OD error)

Make sure you get a receipt at the corners to prove your route.

Have fun and prepare yourself for life as an addict

I just write on the log "All entries Eastern" and use the bikes clock.

Never been an issue for certification. Use SPOT if you have one- if not-

try to borrow one. It will help prove your route and relive your ride.

-Tony

My wife and I have done the Bun Burner(1500 in 36hr) and SS1k. We're actually looking at doing the Moonshine Lunch Run SS1k right now, but I digress. You'll have to decide on the best route, but definitely try to schedule around traffic times and areas. It sounds like she's gung ho on the ride, that's awesome. My wife loves to ride and she'd hop on the bike and ride a SS1k if we went somewhere, but wouldn't be as interested to ride 1000 miles just to end up where we started. Do you have comms with your wife? We like to get an audiobook, listen to it and let the miles just click away.

When I do LD rides, I like to be ahead of the clock when I can be. So I wouldn't plan a sleep rest break for a ride this length and I'd look to finish in the 18hr neighborhood (of course barring any issues). For 2-up, we usually go about 200 miles in-between stops. So we'd do 4 or 5 stops max at 5-10 min max per stop. We'd probably do a quick meal at one of the stops, maybe 20-30 min max. I would keep all time based on your start time zone and Spot is good, like Tony said.

The ride isn't hard to do, you just need to keep the wheels turning and as you've already found out, managing stops is a big key. Good luck!

-Paul

On an 89 Honda TransAlp, no freeways, some dirt! :yahoo: 1049 miles in 21 hours. They aren't that hard if you prepare correctly, and don't stress over it, enjoy it. You'll finish just fine. I've averaged 1250 miles on two previous FJR IronButts. They're easy on an FJR. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips and encouragement guys! We're looking forward to it.

pmspaul: yes we have comms. Bluetooth headsets.