Planning first SS1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeweyIsgod

Reaction score
I've got a cousin's wedding to attend in a couple weeks, so it serves as a good excuse to complete my first SS1000. The primary route I'm planning is to travel from the north side of Houston to St. Louis via Topeka, KS for 1044 miles according to google maps. I've been on plenty of all-day rides with 8-10 hours in the saddle, so this shouldn't be pushing much further.

I'll be going the first week of October and am off work the whole week. That way I can delay a day or two if need be for weather. I also plotted a backup route through Arkansas and Evansville, IN before heading to St. Louis. I plan on leaving around 6:30am primarily to avoid traffic as I travel through Dallas. The timing will also put the setting sun at my back as I turn NE around 4pm.

One big question I have for y'all is around documentation. Does anyone know if the Kansas Turnpike issues a good receipt suitable for proof? I know they'll be gas and likely food receipts in Kansas, but those aren't as reliable. The Turnpike receipt would be ideal since there's basically no way to travel from Houston to St. Louis via the Kansas Turnpike without completing the required mileage.

Any other local knowledge or route advice would also be appreciated.

P.S. The trip back through SW Missouri and NW Arkansas should have enough twisty roads to make up for the boring interstate of the SS attempt. But I might break that one up into a couple days.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a SS1000, you will need about 16 hours of riding. This gives you 8 hours to play with. (Rest stops, food ... Ride you ride, but I have found that riding the south in the cooler hours and the north in the warmer hours makes for less temperature variations- which means less equipment changes.

As far as documenting your ride- think of proving your route. Corner receipts, gas, food...

The more receipts- the better the proof. Make sure you give your credit card co. A travel notice.

Relax and enjoy!

Completed the SS1000 yesterday...actually 1070 miles total. Started in Houston at 7:45 am and finished in St. Louis at 2:45am. I can't wait to send the documentation in to get it certified. I shouldn't be an issue. All the receipts were pretty good with time and location.

It was fairly easy through the first 800 miles or so. Then my legs started getting stiff and I had to stop every 45 minutes or so to stretch. I took a little ibuprofen about the 900 mile mark and made it home...probably should have done that earlier. As good as the FJR is for eating miles (especially with my RDL saddle and MCL highway pegs), I can say that yesterday was the first time I was longing for cruise control and bar risers.

I couldn't have asked for better weather. It was clear and warm during the daytime as I passed through Texas and Oklahoma. As the sun went down in Kansas, the temp dropped to the low 70's...not enough to be cold, but cool enough to help stay crisp and alert.

Overall, I'm glad I was able to accomplish the challenge (and it is definitely a challenge). But I'll look to avoid that much interstate. I'm looking forward to the ride home on Tuesday. I think I'm going to steal the route from the Hooterville folks and head to NW Ark for a two-day ride back.

In the mean time, thank you to my cousin for scheduling his wedding during the baseball playoffs. I'm headed to the Cardinal games this afternoon and tomorrow before all the family stuff on the weekend.

P.S. - I ran into a kid on a GSXR 750 at a truck stop in Boonesville, MO who was very disappointed to learn there was a certifying body for distance rides. He had been on that torture device from Salt Lake City for the last two days and would have been close to a SS1000 mileage having come from Denver earlier in the day.

Congratulations on a real accomplishment. Yes, cruise and risers make the FJR a much more enjoyable ride, but you did it. Well done...