Planning trip to San Diego & SWFOG, & then some...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iris

formerly "herfjr"
Reaction score
So....... Jim (aka ZOOOM AGAIN) and I are in the preliminary planning stages of our trip out west this Spring (2015). We are thinking of trailering from Albany, NY to San Diego, CA (or somewhere close to that). We would arrive sometime around May 25th and then ride up to the SWFOG. After that we will ride around for another week and then get back to the pick-up truck and trailer and head back east.

Question: does someone know a safe place for us to park our pickup truck and aluminum trailer for the time that we are traveling? If so, feel free to pm me. All comments would be appreciated (except any snide comments about trailering FJRs ....LOL)

Thanks in advance.

-Iris

Wow! That sounds like an epic trip. If you were doing that in Florida, you could store all that stuff at my place. I've got all sorts of room. I'm jealous and hate you a little bit right now but, please!!! Post pictures! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So....... Jim (aka ZOOOM AGAIN) and I are in the preliminary planning stages of our trip out west this Spring (2015). We are thinking of trailering from Albany, NY to San Diego, CA (or somewhere close to that). We would arrive sometime around May 25th and then ride up to the SWFOG. After that we will ride around for another week and then get back to the pick-up truck and trailer and head back east.
Question: does someone know a safe place for us to park our pickup truck and aluminum trailer for the time that we are traveling? If so, feel free to pm me. All comments would be appreciated (except any snide comments about trailering FJRs ....LOL)

Thanks in advance.

-Iris
Jim and Iris, I have copied your request and sent it in an email to former FJR Forum Member "johnny80s - Welcome from San Diego". John M. no longer is on this site, but he knows San Diego County well and perhaps he has some recommendations for you. Whatever and whenever johnny80s responds with, I will forward on to you!

Wow! That sounds like an epic trip. If you were doing that in Florida, you could store all that stuff at my place. I've got all sorts of room. I'm jealous and hate you a little bit right now but, please!!! Post pictures!
smile.png
Thanks magicmaker! That would be great. Someday we plan on riding to Florida. Our rule is that we only trailer the bikes when we have to cross over the mid-west. One of these days, we're going to do a trip to Florida and Louisiana (riding out from our house in NY) and while we're at it, hit a couple of other states that we have missed down that way. We'll look you up when the time comes, and maybe in the very least, we can do a day ride together.

You can count on photos and a ride report. ;-)

Jim and Iris, I have copied your request and sent it in an email to former FJR Forum Member "johnny80s - Welcome from San Diego". John M. no longer is on this site, but he knows San Diego County well and perhaps he has some recommendations for you. Whatever and whenever johnny80s responds with, I will forward on to you!
Thanks Beemerdons! I have heard of Johnny80s. I remember seeing him on this site too.

Hi Iris, sounds awesome but why 'Diego?

I lived in La Jolla (just N. of SD) for awhile and to me you are just way too south for any real CA bike fun. Don't get me wrong, the coastline is pretty and fun (for awhile) but if you landed up north say around the Redwoods or even Tahoe (to me) that's more M/C desirable. Plus it's a very obtainable couple days dip up into Oregon (beautiful!).
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Cuyumaca area just east of SD is nice, I remember the Sunrise Hwy (I think it was S1) was a revisited (g/f lived out close to there) road, and some cool big red rock stuff farther east (smaller but similar to Brice Canyon looking), but getting close to Yuma is just plain boring as heck.

I'd go north! ....$.02

I lived in La Jolla (just N. of SD) for awhile and to me you are just way too south for any real CA bike fun. Don't get me wrong, the coastline is pretty and fun (for awhile) but if you landed up north say around the Redwoods or even Tahoe (to me) that's more M/C desirable. Plus it's a very obtainable couple days dip up into Oregon (beautiful!).
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Cuyumaca area just east of SD is nice, I remember the Sunrise Hwy (I think it was S1) was a revisited (g/f lived out close to there) road, and some cool big red rock stuff farther east (smaller but similar to Brice Canyon looking), but getting close to Yuma is just plain boring as heck.

I'd go north! ....$.02
1) Another God Damn freaking Desert Hater, from the Neuva Yorka Abominable Snowman of all people! KJ, go outside and do a snow angel in your underwear!

2) I also sent this to Steven "Jorstin" Kerns who lives in Chula Vista, jorstin might know of a storage location. Steve on the left and John M. is on the right below:

smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

I'd go north! ....$.02
1) Another God Damn freaking Desert Hater, from the Neuva Yorka Abominable Snowman of all people! KJ, go outside and do a snow angel in your underwear!
LMAO!!!!

Sorry Don, I know you're a desert rat. And, we have no snow right now thank you! La Jolla life was awesome, but expensive. I only was out there for 1.5 yrs, I couldn't afford it anymore, but if I had your money? hehe.

Hey! I saw some drag boat racing (TV) the other day and saw they were from Chandler AZ! ...I immediately took focus bro!
smile.png
They were badd-A +200mph h/planes!

smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

I'd go north! ....$.02

2) I also sent this to Steven "Jorstin" Kerns who lives in Chula Vista, jorstin might know of a storage location. Steve on the left and John M. is on the right below:

LMAO!!!!

Sorry Don, I know you're a desert rat. And, we have no snow right now thank you! La Jolla life was awesome, but expensive. I only was out there for 1.5 yrs, I couldn't afford it anymore, but if I had your money? hehe.

Hey! I saw some drag boat racing (TV) the other day and saw they were from Chandler AZ! ...I immediately took focus bro!
smile.png
They were badd-A +200mph h/planes!
It's a small world Top_Speed1, I'm also a drag boat racing Fanatic. Here are scenes from the Lucas Oil Finals, held right here in Chandler at Firebird Raceway!

Iris and Jim, have already heard back from johnny80s. I have sent you a PM, with the email address of John M.!

"I have space for you to park your truck and trailer. How big is the trailer?

John"

I have emailed with Iris. I offered our place for them to park the truck and trailer.

Top Speed I will tell you why they are coming to San Diego, cause its America's finest city! You should know if that if you lived here.
punk.gif

I am sure we can get a lot of routes for you to ride and of course lots of places for you to eat. Like, Don Carlos Taco Shop in La Jolla, its ugly, gaudy and it looks like Mexico but the food is damn great. https://eataburrito.com/

I'm jealous and hate you a little bit right now.
smile.png
Nothing to add except that I agree with majicmaker.

Now about that johnny80s guy, spent a little time with him in on a Death Valley run. Not sure that I would leave anything with him.
not_i.gif
coolsmiley02.gif
Greetings Jim and Iris, I have Good News and I have Bad News regarding Niehart's comment: 1) Good News - johnny80s wife Fran, daughter Sofia and son John Jr. are absolutely precious; the nicest family you could ever meet! 2) Bad News - You aren't bringing any livestock with you from New York are you? johnny80s is a Goombah Dago from Calabria, this is considered completely legal in Italy! JSNS! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Ciao - Prego!

Hi Iris, sounds awesome but why 'Diego?I lived in La Jolla (just N. of SD) for awhile and to me you are just way too south for any real CA bike fun. Don't get me wrong, the coastline is pretty and fun (for awhile) but if you landed up north say around the Redwoods or even Tahoe (to me) that's more M/C desirable. Plus it's a very obtainable couple days dip up into Oregon (beautiful!).
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
KJ, we did that loop in 2008 and it was beautiful, Started in Carson City in Nevada up thru northern California, Oregon to Seattle and back down the coastal highway.......3,000 miles in ten days and not a drop of rain. Looking forward to seeing the southern area.

I lived in La Jolla (just N. of SD) for awhile and to me you are just way too south for any real CA bike fun. Don't get me wrong, the coastline is pretty and fun (for awhile) but if you landed up north say around the Redwoods or even Tahoe (to me) that's more M/C desirable. Plus it's a very obtainable couple days dip up into Oregon (beautiful!). :) :) :) :)
KJ, we did that loop in 2008 and it was beautiful, Started in Carson City in Nevada up thru northern California, Oregon to Seattle and back down the coastal highway.......3,000 miles in ten days and not a drop of rain. Looking forward to seeing the southern area.
Understand Jim (now). I'm sure u and iris will have an all out super good time there. Maybe refresh up on yur spanish prior? :) I'm sure El Pappa Ballerina will be glad to translate ...hehe.
Don't get me wrong johnnys80, I love the area, especially the beach babes ....and the best fish tacos's anywhere!. I was just re routing iris to a more m/c friendly part of Kali but since they've "been there, done that" it's all goot!

It's too late Top Speed you have insulted the honor of our fair city. I have spoken with the city fathers and we have banned you for life, unless you repent and apologize. Then I will have your banishment lifted.

I haven't been to that part of Kali since the early 70s when OB was in it's prime. Lots of free drugs and willing young ladies. It was a good time to be alive.
punk.gif