Planning trip to Vermont/New Hampshire.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caper

Reaction score
O.K. I'm planning on a trip to Vermont/New Hampshire on the first week of July. I'm looking for suggestions on great roads, good places to see and stay and do's and don't if you have any. I've got nothing planned out so far and have no schedule. I'm not a fan of schedules! I know I'm leaving Nova Scotia on Monday morning and plan on crossing the border at St.Stephen/Calais(not sure how to spell that)and I'm taking the Portland to Yarmouth ferry on Friday. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Darcy

O.K. I'm planning on a trip to Vermont/New Hampshire on the first week of July. I'm looking for suggestions on great roads, good places to see and stay and do's and don't if you have any. I've got nothing planned out so far and have no schedule. I'm not a fan of schedules! I know I'm leaving Nova Scotia on Monday morning and plan on crossing the border at St.Stephen/Calais(not sure how to spell that)and I'm taking the Portland to Yarmouth ferry on Friday. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks

Darcy
Caper, click on View New Posts above, and you'll see why you don't need to-and shouldn't-and will be blasted for - posting this in two places here. :D

Sorry, can't help you with eastern planning.

O.K. I'm planning on a trip to Vermont/New Hampshire on the first week of July. I'm looking for suggestions on great roads, good places to see and stay and do's and don't if you have any. I've got nothing planned out so far and have no schedule. I'm not a fan of schedules! I know I'm leaving Nova Scotia on Monday morning and plan on crossing the border at St.Stephen/Calais(not sure how to spell that)and I'm taking the Portland to Yarmouth ferry on Friday. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks

Darcy
Caper, click on View New Posts above, and you'll see why you don't need to-and shouldn't-and will be blasted for - posting this in two places here. :D

Sorry, can't help you with eastern planning.
My bad. Caution, newby at work!

You may want to PM Jeff Ashe, he has put a lot of work into planning a trip to this area. Check out his travel plan. His plan only includes the places he is going, he has had many other stops and recommendations that aren't included.

Caper,

If you're coming across at Calais (you got it right), and have time, take Rte 1 to Ellsworth, then Rte 3 to Mt Desert Island and Bar Harbor. If you've never been there, it's the BEST. If you need more on riding thru Maine to get to NH, get in touch with me.

Charlie

Caper,
If you're coming across at Calais (you got it right), and have time, take Rte 1 to Ellsworth, then Rte 3 to Mt Desert Island and Bar Harbor. If you've never been there, it's the BEST. If you need more on riding thru Maine to get to NH, get in touch with me.

Charlie
Thanks Charlie. I'm on a bit of a schedule, two/three days, and always wanted to do the White mountains run. Being from Nova Scotia I've got plenty of coast but not too many mountains runs. There's the Cabot Trail but I grew up in Cape Breton so been there, done that. So for this trip once I cross the border I'm planning on heading inland but plans may change, I'll check out the route and let you know if I'll need a tour guide.

Caper, I'm virtually within eyesite of the https://www.catferry.com/ Always looking for an oportunity to help be tour guide, especially with new 08AE.

You are driving down, then ferrying home, correct?

For all members, see https://www.catferry.com/travel-types/travel-motorcycles.php
I'm supposed to stay in Middleton, New Hampshire on Thursday and catch the Ferry from Portland on Friday. I'm having a bit of trouble getting in touch with the fellow in Middleton but I still got three weeks. So I'm not panicing yet! I only know this guy from a guitar player web site I frequent and he told me he'd hunt me down if I didn't stop and visit! If plans fall through I may need tips on a good place to stay close to the ferry. I'll keep in touch.

My plan is to stay in the same hotel/motel for two nights, possibly three. The plan is to go out each day and return to the same hotel/motel at night. I'd like to be relatively close to the mountain runs and the ferry if possible. The ferry leaves Portland at 8:00 Friday morning. I don't mind having to get up early to catch the boat but if I have to make my way closer to Portland the day before and stay in a different hotel/motel I'm fine with that as well. It's about 500kms(300miles) to the border from here and I would like to get to the hotel/motel on the first day. So I'm thinking possibly another 300kms(180miles) tops would be my limit. I want to stay away from bigger centers and would prefer to stay in a smaller town. But I don't want to stay in a dump either! Nothing fancy but you know what I mean. I need a place I can find online for booking and contact info unless someone can give me a contact number. I'm looking for suggestions on a place or places that may fit the bill. If you guys/gals suggest a place, or two if need be, I'll search them for lodging. I'd like to book ahead to save headaches. Man that was long winded! Thanks in advance.

Darcy

Welcome to New England. Some great riding can be had here. If you're after mountain roads and scenery, I can recommend the Dixville Notch area and the Grafton Notch area near Me / NH border just northeast of Mt Washington. For really beautiful scenery its hard to beat Franconia Notch area, near the west/north side of White Mountain National Forest. Especially the Sugar Hill area. If you are there near the end of the day, check out Sunset Hill. Gorgeous.

Being from Cape Breton you'll be a touch customer for beautiful scenery, but it can be had here in NE.. if you have time check out the Moosehead lake/ Rangely Lake area in Maine on your way down from New Brunswick. I've been all around up there and really like it.

Caution about the Cat Ferry to Yarmouth. If there's a rolling sea the boat ride will be choppy and alot of the passengers will be revisiting what they last ate. I learned this first hand a few years ago (my daughter and I went way forward while the barfers stayed in the central lounge area). On a M/C trip last year we took the ferry from St. Johns to Digby. A much more sedate crossing, and alot cheaper to boot.

Also for more destination tips be sure to check out Agirls journeys from the last couple years. Here: https://www.seizethejourney.com/ec2007/default.asp

Good Luck.

Russ

Thanks to everyone for the info. After making out a more detailed plan for my trip I've decided to postpone it until the week starting in the end of July leading into August. I'll have the whole week and will have more time to enjoy both the scenery and the twisties. Hopefully I'll see a few people there or on my way. If you see a 2004 FJR with Nova Scotia plates stranded or it's rider looking lost or confused. Help a guy out will you!

Thanks Again.