Pleasent discussion with LOE today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BwanaDik

Reaction score
Got stopped but not ticketed today on 290 west outside Brenham (post described in FJR topic). While standing there BSing with the DPS LEO, I asked him about stopping in the "emergency lane" of an interstate to simply get a ticket. The description of the berms of an interstate are "breakdown" or "emergency" lane. I asked him if giving me a ticket constituted an "emergency" and shouldn't I instead proceed to a safer location where we could do our business? I mentioned the officer that had been killed here recently by some dope on his cell phone, chasing a bug in his car and another guy, a good samaritan that was killed on the HOV lane while trying to help another driver. His answer was that, on a road such as I-45 thru Houston, if I had to go another 1-2 miles to get to an offramp to get to a safe location, I'd probably have 10 more cruisers and a helicopter helping me to that safe location :blink: so I'd should probably try to stop in the emergency lane. If I could get off immediately then I probably should and proceed at a composed rate of speed to a safe location (driveway or such). Out in the country like around Brenham, you should probably stop as soon as posible.

I asked him this because I am EXTREMELY hesitant to stop in the emergency lane because of this. I've always been respectful of public safety responders but after standing out there with the LEO's that responded, I have tremendous sympathy and concern for ANY public safety officer putting themselves at risk. Especially for something as minor as a traffic ticket. I don't think it's remotely worth it to be killed for writing a lousy traffic ticket. If I have a flat tire in my cage, I'll drive on the rim to a safe place rather than change it on the road.

So, is there a consensis amongst the LEO's out there as to what to do? Drive to a "safe" location and risk you guys assuming I'm escaping? (Remember, O.J. made his "getaway" at 55 MPH). Or do I stop as soon as possible and possibly put both our lives in danger?

I'd just put on my right turn signal and proceed at a safe non-getaway speed to the nearest place I felt it safe to pull over. YMMV

Where I patrol we do not have shoulders per se and some times there is no real safe place to pull over. We try to plan our stop for the safest place we have.

With that being said there are many options that you could do.

The first thing to do is pull as far over as safely possible. If you are in your car, that may mean that the passenger side tires are on the grass/dirt shoulder. On the bike that may just mean the very edge of the road.

You could pull over and when the officer is done getting all your information you could ask if they would like to move to a safer place.

You can slow down and turn on your 4-way flashers to show that you see them behind you and then stop when it is safer, just keep the driving to a short distance. In a larger town this may not work. The media has been telling people in Colorado to do this if they do not belive that the person behind them is a cop. Then to go to a well light area if at night or populated area We have had a rash of wana be cops pulling people over and then getting assaulted.

If there is no safer place and you are on your bike, you can always ask the officer if it would be all right to step away from the bike further onto the shoulder.

These are all things that I have seen when I stop people, that is if they are not yelling at me that I should have better things to do. :rolleyes:

Not a LEO, but my personal experience is that the LEO decides when to do the traffic stop, not you. Pull right over when lit up. Then ask or suggest moving to a safer location if one exists in the immediate area. If they are ok with that, they will direct you to move. If they're not ok with moving, let it go and be polite, but aware of your surroundings.

I've heard LEOs both rant on people that didn't pull over immediately, as well has had LEOs pull up to the bike/car and yell thru the pass window that there's a turn out 1/4 mile up the road, proceed there and pull off for safety's sake.

Every stop is unique. As is every LEOs response.

I was trained as were many of the cops I know to pick the spot where we want to conduct the stop. This means that sometimes, I will have to follow someone for 1/2 mile or so before I decide to turn on my lights. There have been times when this has led to the stopped person arguing that I followed them for a half mile before deciding to pull them over; therefore, the stop is not legit. Thats not the case, it's just that I don't want to stop someone in a construction zone with no shoulder any more than they want to stop in that same place. Nobody should end up dying over a $65 speeding ticket, and good planning can reduce the risk.

I have had people that know they are being stopped just pull over before I turn on my lights, or pull the stunt where they pull half way into a parking lot, leaving my ass-end in the street. Depending on where we are and how much risk I think we are in, I may just finish the stop in the non-optimal spot, or I may direct them to move. Part of my point here is, if you think you are getting pulled over because you know you got popped, don't just stop, wait till the lights come on.

If I am making stops on the freeway, I will wait until we are either close to an off-ramp or a large shoulder. That way the driver can take the ramp and the stop can be done on the service street. I also do passenger side approaches on the freeway. Once, while I had someone stopped on the freeway, an idiot driving an Eclipse took my left BDU pocket off with his mirror. I not only had to replace my pants, but I had to clean my shorts as well. :eek:

1. You're on a motorcycle, which makes you a "biker", which makes you supect.

2. If you're on your FJR , then you are on one of them "crotch rockets" that are too damn fast to catch, so LEO wants to stop you damn quick before you bolt.

:rolleyes:

There have been times when this has led to the stopped person arguing that I followed them for a half mile before deciding to pull them over; therefore, the stop is not legit.
When are people going to learn that "arguing" with a cop is a no win proposition?

You wanna argue? Argue with a lawyer or a judge. :)

I always try to pick a good spot to activate my lights. If I don't like where a driver stops or how he parks his(or her) car, I'll tell them how and where to move, over the loud speaker. I also don't have a problem with a driver looking for a spot they are comfortable with.... just turn on your signal, slow down to 10-15 below the speed limit and find a safe spot with in reason. That doesn't mean a mile or more down the road, it shouldn't take more than a few hundred yards.